Lada Niva Fuel pump?

speedwayfan1, Aug 7, 8:42am
Bought a hack in June, was going good for a while but then the engine cut out. After a bit of an investigation I found the mechanical fuel pump isn't sealing anymore and the bolt that tightens the cap down has had the thread stripped (replacement bolt won't fix it, the thread the bolt goes into was damaged too). So a replacement pump is what I need.

My question is, what other pumps are compatible! Gee motors in Napier quoted me $110 +GST for a new one, which I guess isn't unreasonable but I don't really want to spend that much. There's someone wrecking a 1.7 Niva here on TM, quoted a pump at $45 but would it be compatible! The extent of what I know of the Niva I have now is that it's an older model, 1600cc and probably a pre 91 (some made in the USSR markings).

I've looked at using an electric pump, but it's the last resort. Any help appreciated.

franc123, Aug 7, 8:55am
second hand mechanical pumps are always a gamble, especially if they have been sitting around and the internals have dried out. A Fiat one may be similar given what those engines were based on. I'd fit an electric one and forget about it.

ml6989, Aug 7, 10:35am
Why not put a new fuel tank on the roof and let it gravity feed. If nothing else, it will be a great talking point, look cool and be a sign of true Kiwi ingenuity!

carclan, Aug 7, 7:25pm
Save yourslf the hassle and buy the new one

splinter67, Aug 7, 8:00pm
yep a new lada shouldnt be more than $110

dunwoody, Aug 7, 9:56pm
I have an electric pump on my Niva, the original mechanical one leaked; Just ran a wire from the coil. The electric pump came off a Subaru and has been there working for fifteen years. If the Niva has a raisedledgeto the back hatch door it will be the original 1600.