Most economical vehicle petrol

Page 2 / 3
40wav, Aug 4, 8:27am
If it was motorway driving for most of the 120kms I'd look at a Commodore, and perhaps even the V8. That sort of travel is going to cost you something anyway, there's no escaping that, so you may as well be safe and enjoy the drive. Those cars are built to do that sort of driving and become reasonably economical with good long distances.

thunderbolt, Aug 4, 8:28am
Gremlin,
My 2008 FG has been hammered for 130,000, and apart from service items it has only needed a $15 relay for the air con compressor clutch in its life.

flack88, Aug 4, 8:40am
Nothing wrong with those late model Pajeros ,have driven and serviced a couple they go real well,3.2 diesel,drove as well as a 100series cruiser ,for half the price.

shorebee, Aug 4, 9:25pm
aurion i reckon, better on gas than a camry commy or falcon on a trip.

likit, Aug 4, 9:34pm
My job has relocated to Darfield,I live in Chch a 60km trip each way.When I started this week I reset my trip computer & I'm averaging 74 km/hr & returning 9.4l/100km in my 2000 3.8 commodore.Thought about buying a smaller car but,have now decided why spend more money on a smaller car to get only a small improvement in fuel economy.The commodore is comfortable on long trips too.

splinter67, Aug 4, 9:59pm
Apart from the name in Spanish it means bellky

thejazzpianoma, Aug 4, 10:06pm
I wouldn't call the potential for $2500 a year in fuel savings "small". Its not necessarily about downsizing to a tiny uncomfortable car at all. Just a matter of choosing something that utilises modern technology.

If you like the Commodore then great, but its worth noting that the fuel savings over 2-3 years would have you into a properly decent modern car with plenty of power, comfort and safety.

You do bring up a good point though, its always good to do the math.

BTW, its worth remembering that a Commodore really isn't such a big car anymore. Other car sizes have grown over the last 30 years wheras the Commodore size has been fairly constant. Downsizing to a good quality medium sized car shouldn't be very noticeable at all.

kevymtnz, Aug 4, 10:37pm
VW DSG transmission are unrealable and Audi are over priced piece of junk as for the skoda these could be somewhat better

bigfatmat1, Aug 4, 10:43pm
camry hybrid

asa50, Aug 4, 10:53pm
If I was going the hybrid route the Camry would be my choice as it is a much nicer drive than than the Prius.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 4, 10:59pm
They are still pointless though. Not only are they way out of the OP's budget if they want new, they don't really offer any tangible economy advantage.
Toyota Hybrids while they have improved are just a marketing exercise to suck people in who don't take the time to do the math. Its a pity because hybrid technology does have its place, sadly Toyota don't seem interested in developing it for economy purposes though. I guess why bother when the "smoke and mirrors" approach is more lucrative.

vtecintegra, Aug 4, 11:52pm
The hybrid Camry DOES offer a real economy advantage over the regular model, not as much as the purpose designed Prius of course

Anyway this is under pretty much ideal conditions:
http://www.aa.co.nz/assets/about/events/energywise-rally/2010/ewr-2010-oct-14-results-after-day4.pdf

As you can see the hybrids, TSI VWs etc are mostly close tho their stated figures, whereas unsophisticated stuff like the Accord and Legacy can do much better than their official numbers (under these ideal conditions)

asa50, Aug 5, 12:47am
There are plenty in the OP's budget, should they choose to go that path

thejazzpianoma, Aug 5, 6:08am
That's the catch, as you said it offers an advantage only over its inefficient Toyota siblings.

Toyota havn't made an efficient regular vehicle in decades, thats a big part of how they make their money. Its quite clever, they don't need to make the huge investment their competitors have in R and D for their regular cars. They keep them going with technology over a decade old and then sell the Hybrid as a smoke and mirrors gimmick to their loyal customers who want something fuel efficient. Even though the Hybrids barely break even with their regular technology competitors they look fantastic when compared to their siblings. Because Toyota buyers are so very loyal and usually not car savy, they never realise they are being had.

Thats an interesting table, thanks for posting it.
Notice how the Hybrids in general are miles away from their stated economy figures! That would be why there is government action and class lawsuits against them for making such silly claims.

I think what has happened is that the Prius has been so far away from offering any advantage they have had to "cook the books" to make it salable. They don't have to fudge things so much with the Camry because of what it gets compared to, and Toyota are slowly updating their technology to the point where they have finally joined us in this century. (Even the standard new Camry finally has some fundamental modernish equipment like electric power steering)

Anyhow even if you take the Camry's ideal figures from that table, by the time you take into account the extra servicing you barely break even with a Diesel Golf.

So yes, as I said. For the significant extra purchase price, the extra complication, extra servicing and average driving experience you only wind up on a part with the regular vehicles being suggested.

Toyota hybrids are not quite the absurd rip off they once were but they still don't compete in the real world.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 5, 6:21am
Not only would they be getting a secondhand one for their money, they will be getting the old model as well.

New VW Golf (Petrol) starts around 38K new and can be picked up as a demonstrater with less than 1000km on the clock within the OP's budget.

The cheapest Camry Hybrid starts at51K new.

And. as pointed out above. Whats the point!

At best to remain on budget you would be putting up with a secondhand out of date version of a competent but lack luster vehicle. All for the privilege of at best breaking even with the economy of a Diesel Golf.

msigg, Aug 5, 7:34am
Well if your a taxi driver then the ones using the prius are creaming it over the others. Ask any of them. They can save enough in fuel costsin 5-6 years to buy a new car. They do huge kms. Its the future.

morrisman1, Aug 5, 7:55am
Jazz, I think you're being had. VW and Fiat have together developed a car which self regenerates its fuel supply for continuous supply and never needing refilling. They are holding back with the current generation of inefficient golfs and puntos so they can maximise revenue from technology they developed ten years ago, before progressively bringing out the new technology firstly in a version restricted by software.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 5, 8:07am
Something must have changed then because when I did the math on this a year or so back and posted it on here they never made back the extra money they spent on a Prius over a Golf Diesel.

The only advantage a Prius Taxi had was the possibility of getting a bit more custom because their clients saw them as a "green" option.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 5, 8:09am
For once you are almost correct.
VW developed a hybrid a while back that used less than 1l/100km but there was little interest from the motoring press so they shelved it. I think it may have made it back into limited production.

msigg, Aug 5, 8:21am
They won't use a golf as a taxi thats smaller than the prius and more maintenance, The prius is very reliable as a taxi and they do save alot of money. just look at them, most are Indian and they know how to save money aye.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 5, 8:25am
LMAO, we went through this last time as well.
I love how people just make stuff up or assume things and present them as fact.

A Golf wagon has far more usable room than a Prius and from memory the rear seat size was near enough identical. The Golf has the same or better service intervals (depending on whether you turn on the variable function or not).

As for parts prices, Golf wins again.

As for knowing how to save money, maybe but not with regard to what car to buy. This is like the "look at what couriers drive" argument. I am yet to meet even one courier or postie who actually bothered to sit down and do the math before making a purchase. and I have asked a few.

As we concluded last time. The only tangible advantage is the advertising value of being a "green" vehicle.

craig04, Aug 5, 8:47am
That's because most of that 100km's was spent on the back of a tow truck.

bigfatmat1, Aug 5, 9:10am
spend a little more import one of these babies
http://www.teslamotors.com/australia

40wav, Aug 5, 9:31am
You certainly sound like one. Extremely wordy and very biased posts which most would stop reading after the first sentance because we've read it all before (many times) from you. No offence, but maybe here is a place best left for general advice and discussion, and your sales talk best left to those seeking a euro. The last few posts from you were just the usual blather repeated over and over. They were not really any help for the OP in trying to make their decision or how to suitably dispose of their current vehicle. Now, please dont get me wrong, I know that you do post some very helpful stuff here, it's just that I for one (and I may be speaking just for myself, but I doubt it) am tired of those hugely long posts and thread hyjacks.

movnon, Aug 5, 9:34am
#2 & every 2nd post - wouldnt be a euronutter by any chance!Why rubbish jappos! fuel costs are not the only costs, I've had many Toyocars including one from new for 20years, maintenance costs have been minimal, even tyres, one hack Camry did from 120k to 190k without an oil or filter change! My neighbour insisted on buying it off me 4 years ago & it still purrs. Buy a small capacity one for comuting if cost is the issue - the japs have it sussed.