$1 RESERVE QUESTION.

pugmyre, Aug 5, 6:56am
Wanting to bid on a vehicle.Bidding over $1200-00 but owner says bidding slow so might remove.Reserve has been met.Is this common practice!

gammelvind, Aug 5, 7:00am
Sadly it does, personally I think TM should ban their account if they are caught doing it.

nichen, Aug 5, 7:01am
What some sellers don't know is the biding starts in the last two minutes so you need take a gamble.But if advertised properly they should get what its worth or more

pugmyre, Aug 5, 7:06am
Seems a case of "Shame but true".I would've thought that once reserve is met, it should be all go.Maybe $1 reserve should be scrapped.What's your thoughts!

cowboy110, Aug 5, 7:49am
Is this common practice!.Unfortunately yes it is.You'll find $1 reserve auctions with things like "open to offers or swaps".The way I see it is if you set the reserve and the red flag goes up, it's going to be sold regardless of the price once the auction closes.Some sellers try the old "advertised elsewhere and reserve the right to withdraw". And don't expect trademe to care either, they've got their listing fee and the success/withdrawal fee (whichever may come first).

kaymay88, Aug 5, 7:59am
that isnt the problem at all. the problem is that people think the car they paid 5k for 5 years ago, is still worth 5k after they have dinged, dented, thrashed, failed to service it, and generally driven it into the ground.
Unrealistic price expectations is the problem. some morons think they will benefit from some kind of ferocious competitive bidding frenzy on their shitty 22 year old mazda.

pugmyre, Aug 5, 8:00am
Yeah.Seems like you're absolutely correct.Would've been a genuine bidder on this particular auction, but will give it a miss and look elsewhere.