AG FARM BIKE ON ROAD COST?

kngfhrt, Aug 2, 7:41pm
hi i have a ctx honda 200 farm bike. does anybody know wots involed to make it legal so i tcan be driven it on the road, mainly cross overs and the ocaional stop over at some of the surrounding farms. someone sugested registering it as a farm use vehicle. does anybody know the ins and outs of this and the most afordable option for me!thanks

elect70, Aug 3, 1:37am
Ever see any plods out there if notdont bothermost dont

jason18, Aug 3, 3:06am
Yeah we never registered our farm bikes and all we did was cross the road or just duck up the road. Altho we had two wheelers. We kept as left as possible or stayed on grass verge. Altho I will admit to doing a hell of a lot of burnouts on the gravel haha

NZTools, Aug 3, 5:04am
I've never seen a cop pick on a farm bike for being unregistered, but they will ping you for not wearing an aghat or similar helmet if you are on the road.

andrew241, Aug 3, 6:13am
Ha ha I got done for no rego no wof no helmet and for doubling a minnor cost me over $500 and I tryed telling the cop what I was up to,They just dont care I also got 20 demerits,

NZTools, Aug 3, 6:18am
What would they say about my 2 year old daughter going for a ride on the bike with her dad then! lol

desmodave, Aug 3, 6:37am
Lucky.Its cool as only a dad can know

sred69, Aug 3, 7:26am
If for farm use then do not need to register or even wear a helmet, as long as you stay under 30 kmh

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/assistance/exemptions.html#motorcycle

pdc1, Aug 3, 7:46am
I can't talk in detail here, but I understand the exempt a & b rego's have been changed. It now only covers pretty specific use which is probably not what you are doing. Have a look at the nzta website.
Vaguely the vehicle doesn't have to have registration or license now for off road use. This includes crossing the road from one farm to another i.e. you have a defense if caught.
It would be good if someone else can confirm.

kngfhrt, Aug 3, 7:39pm
thank you everyone Im still doing my homework on this one but got to read a bit of the nzta.govt.nz licence link and it seems if i was a member of the Sikh religion i wouldn't have a problem. sounds like a little bit of favoritism going on there! its a shame dairy farming wasn't classified as a religion because if it was id legally be able to throw my helmet away! lol

elect70, Aug 4, 4:27am
^^ get a turban then &wont getharrased by plod

mantagsi, Aug 4, 8:02am
What the hell, how on earth can they get away with that! The govt. regs can be pretty crazy. I asked an indian bloke at work about the turbans, he said it isn't religious, its just to keep long hair tidy as sikhs can't cut their hair. I see plenty of women on bikes with long hair, they seem to be able to manage it fine!