96 Mitsi L300

supernova2, Aug 2, 4:40am
Engine is a 4G64RX.Anyone know if this is single cam, twin cam, 8 valve 16 valve, GDI or what!Its a kiwi new van if that helps.I'd do the obvious and look but van 500km away.TIA

phillip.weston, Aug 2, 4:54am
SOHC 16V MPI.

mugenb20b, Aug 2, 5:47am
Quite a gutsy motor, easy to work on too.

phillip.weston, Aug 2, 7:21am
yes much better than the 2.0 or even the 2.4 8V. Some imports get the 1.6 engine - now that would be horrible!

r15, Aug 2, 7:28am
i drove a mate's 1600cc one years ago quite a lot, yeah it was a bit gutless, but it was usually getting the life beaten out of it

could use an amazing amount of fuel for such a small engine too

supernova2, Aug 2, 11:54am
Thanks guys, its smoking like a train.Would I be right in guessing that a set of rings would patch it up for use as a tradies runabout!If so say $500 for parts!

phillip.weston, Aug 2, 11:49pm
yeah set of rings and bearings would usually sort it out. Hopefully the bore is still relatively square.

I did a 91 L300 with the 2.0 engine and for a ring set, bearings, gasket set, cambelt, water pump etc I think it was less than $300 all up, so the 2.4 would be very similar. I got all my parts from www.staparts.co.nz

If you aren't aware already, the easiest way to remove the engine if you don't have access to a hoist is to remove the passenger side front door, all the front seats and pull the engine out from the top and out of the front passenger door opening.