Single lane passing enquiry cant find in Road Code

damonrnz, Aug 1, 7:32am
Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows whether this is illegal or not I cannot find in Road Code. If you are approaching a set of traffic lights and want to turn right but are sitting behind stationary traffic that is driving straight. Are you allowed to single lane pass within 50 metres of the intersection to go into the right hand turn. No median strips and no crossing the double yellow lines. Any experts in the Rode Code that can answer this!Thanks Mark

rover79, Aug 1, 7:46am
Are you saying there is a dedicated right turn lane at the lights.
Anyway the answer is NO, last time I read a rode code (which is sometime ago) the passing rule was to have 100 metres clear after the maneuver.

pauldw, Aug 1, 8:09am
So what if there was no opposing traffic!

The Road Code depends on the Land Transport (Road User) Rules.
2.7"Passing on right

A driver must not pass or attempt to pass on the right of another vehicle moving in the same direction when??

damonrnz, Aug 1, 8:35am
The lights were standard no green arrows or anything. Just after info as I have received an alleged infringement 6 weeks after a cop yanked me in at the time the cop was not sure if it was legal or not. And I got a shock when it turned up in the mail.

smac, Aug 1, 9:29am
If you were on green, why was the traffic going straight ahead stationary!

pauldw is onto the correct clause, so with regard to meeting (ii), I think you'd be hard pressed to be able to prove it was safe and with due consideration, given there could have been oncoming traffic (either coming straight through toward you or even turning left into where you were going) that you couldn't see until you pulled out into the oncoming lane. There also could have been something approaching from your right that had a green left arrow to turn toward you.

Anywho, up to you, but that's your defence if you want to go there.

damonrnz, Aug 1, 11:54pm
The lights were red. I was referring to the person who asked if they were dedicated lights or not when i mentioned there were no green arrows or anything meaning they were just standard traffic lights. But thanks for opinions ill photo the intersection and write away today

smac, Aug 2, 12:00am
So hold on.if the lights are red, how were you going to go through the corner (legally)!

bellky, Aug 2, 12:16am
IMO if there was no RH turning lane at the intersection you are in the wrong. You can't overtake at intersections.

kazbanz, Aug 2, 12:40am
my definition would be that you did not have 100m of clear visibility during the overtaking manuver. Ie the lights were red so you would have oncoming traffic from the other part of the intersection that does have a green light.

pauldw, Aug 2, 12:55am
It only makes sense if the OP was going to turn into a vehicle entrance before the intersection.