Gearbox rebuild (synchros)

mitsiboy69, Jul 30, 8:49am
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much it would cost to get my gearbox synchro's replaced! I can take the gearbox out and drop it off.

The gearbox is fine apart from the synchro's so I shouldn't need new bearings. But all of the synchro's are pretty flogged out.

1992 Mitsi lancer MR (4g92)

cowlover, Jul 30, 8:55am
Can you even buy sycho hubs/cones etc for something 20 years old!

mitsiboy69, Jul 30, 9:06am
I sure hope so

hrt, Jul 30, 9:14am
For what you'll pay to do it, you may as well just price a second hand box. Especially if you're paying someone to do it. And if you're doing that then they'll likely want to do bearings while its apart since the bits of synchro will be through everything anyway.

realtrader1, Jul 30, 9:14am
Why bother!Just get a good 2nd hand box and pop that in.Sell the old g/box for scrap!

mitsiboy69, Jul 30, 9:19am
Yea the only problem with that option is that my gearbox only came in the Gen 1 lancer/mirage mivec models which are very rare. I can use a different one but the gear ratios aren't ideal for the engine. Also these gearboxes are well known for synchro's wearing out just like the gsr's and evo's so it would be hard to find a good one.

patiki1, Jul 30, 9:32am
Get your gearbox rebuilt,at least you know its good.

mitsiboy69, Jul 31, 1:04am
Just got a quote from Wellington automotive for $800-$1000.

That's a rough estimate though. They can strip the gearbox and see what really needs replacing for $100.

toyboy3, Jul 31, 2:11am
drain the gear oilout and put ATFinsee if that fixes the problem

bellky, Jul 31, 2:17am
That will make it worse.

bellky, Jul 31, 2:17am
That's right.

kazbanz, Jul 31, 2:25am
heres how I see it -a good second hand box is just that -a box same age as yours. Logic says it has limited life.
Just doing syncros sounds like a good option and at $1000 good economy --But given they are in there anyway how much more for new bearings as well--the way I see it its being stripped anyhoo so its the cost of bearings and a bit of extra labour.
even then if the rest of the car dies you will have a recipt showing YOUR gearbox although second hand has had a recent rebuild

mitsiboy69, Jul 31, 3:14am
Yeah that quote was for the bearings and a couple of synchro's.

elect70, Jul 31, 4:48am
Make sure they can get the parts before dismantling . At that price its cheapmay as well get all of it donethey have to strip it down anyway&labour is dearest part

bellky, Jul 31, 4:55am
Yep, if you take it somewhere in the know they should have access to new synchros, or at least good second hand ones.