Kia Sportage 4x4

Page 1 / 3
friendly_prawn, Jul 21, 10:23pm
what would they be like as an around town family vehicle.
Good height to be getting bubs in and out off. 2.0 so shouldnt be too hungry.What do they travel like on the open road if you ever need to do a trip on one! Any issues with them!
Wont be using the 4x4 for anything serious but obviously the 4x4 option is always handy to have for emergencies.

friendly_prawn, Jul 21, 10:27pm
What sort of money to do a cambelt on them!
How reliable are they!
Anyone have an idea to the above!

cheers guys.

grangies, Jul 21, 10:29pm
When does the average person need a 4x4 for emergencies!

807, Jul 21, 10:42pm
get a Rav4 .cheap now, & probably more reliable !

friendly_prawn, Jul 21, 10:46pm
Average person - Not to the point that theyshould base their reason for buying one on it, but I can tell you when you do need one, they sure as hell come in handy.

friendly_prawn, Jul 21, 10:46pm
Well that helped lol not!

friendly_prawn, Jul 21, 10:47pm
Ask a simple question!
Might go bang my head against the wall. You guys should try it, it feels really really good when you stop.

mugenb20b, Jul 22, 12:34am
If you are talking about the generation 1 model, I can't comment on reliability or parts availability. However, it is powered by a 2.0 litre FE series DOHC 16 valve Mazda 626 / Capella engine and it has a low range option, which will make it a superb off roader. Lots of metal for the money imo, and I'd rather have a Sportage than an overpriced Tojo.

friendly_prawn, Jul 22, 3:02am
Thanks mugenb.
Going to go look at it I think. Seems to fit the bill for the mrs nicely.

cheers mate.

vtecintegra, Jul 22, 4:04am
They're old generation Hyundai and feel like it on the road. If you don't need off road ability then the more-carlike ones are far better on the road.

franc123, Jul 22, 5:39am
The early ones were pretty basic in both their equipment levels and on road behaviour, although the latter is no worse than a 90's Vitara/Escudo, the engines were a pretty well proven and long lasting unit until the day they were overheated, as per other Mazda engines. According to most sources they are pretty dodgy in a crash, and being a bit of an orphan vehicle the spares situation was always pretty horrible, with the exception of engine parts. Worth a punt if its cheap enough.

oakie, Jul 22, 8:51pm
Kia Sportage are good reliable cars, don't buy a V6 because like the Hyundai V6 they are very hungry. They are huge sellers in USA. go into www.kia-forums.com there is lots of info. all the mid-range SUVs are ok on the open road but certainly not like driving a Commodore or similar.
My wife has a new diesel Sportage and loves it.
I know of someone who drives long distance every day and is now at 330,000kms with absolutely no problems but does services regular. resale is about on par with Hyundai, Ford Escape or similar.

friendly_prawn, Jul 25, 2:15am
wow if lemmon and dog guide are anything to go by they are complete and utter disasters. apprently to be avoided like the plauge.

friendly_prawn, Jul 25, 2:21am
Quick Summary
A chronically unreliable and deadly vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
How Reliable!
Appalling. See ???what goes wrong??

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 2:24am
The Dog and Lemon guide is never anything to go by. That moron just rubbishes everything and repeats any wives tale he can find, which is a cheap/safe alternative to actually doing proper research and first hand investigation.

It may well be a Dog, it may not be, the Dog and Lemon won't help you in any way to decide.

For my 2C, I am not sure what your budget is but there are a number of alternatives that spring to mind. If you want to post what you have to spend I am happy to suggest what I think is the best VW. "cough" sorry I mean Fiat. "cough cough splutter" I mean CAR for the job.

(Seriously though, I have a couple of ideas depending on price that you may really love if you drive them)

friendly_prawn, Jul 25, 2:26am
Gearbox & drivetrain problems
??? Transfer cases drop like flies on these vehicles.
??? Rear differentials drop like flies on these vehicles.
??? Automatic transmissions die young on some versions of these cars, even if well-maintained. Badly maintained transmissions face certain death.
??? Both hubcaps and hubcap retainers simply drop off the vehicle on a regular basis.
Steering & suspension problems
??? The rear coil springs are prone to breaking. The side with the broken spring sometimes droops a bit at the rear, but not always
??? The front suspension is not all that robust. In particular, front links and stabiliser arms fail regularly.
Brake & safety problems
??? Brakes have often needed a great deal of work; especially front rotors are prone to warpage and often need replacing with new ones
??? See our general airbag and ABS warning at the end of this review.

RECALL
Kia Sportage, Shuma & Mentor models built between Jun 1998 & May 2000 ??? The seatbelt buckles may fail in a collision.

Body problems
??? Paint is very lightweight and prone to early damage
??? These vehicles rust badly in damp climates.
Interior problems
??? Seats wear out quickly
??? Interior rattles are common
??? Interior fittings such as cupholders are something of a joke and prone to breakage without notice
??? Electric mirrors simply break off
??? Electric window motors give lots of problems.
??? Windows drop down inside doors or simply fall out of the vehicle as you drive along.
??? Air conditioning develops problems large & small
??? Factory stereos die young
??? Door rubbers come off or are misaligned, causing water entry and wind noise
Electrical problems
??? Sundry electrical problems plague some vehicles

friendly_prawn, Jul 25, 2:28am
]

Actually its funny all else I have read apart from the lemmon dog guide says they are reliable too.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 2:31am
Its so frustrating to see people paying for the privilege of being mislead when they are trying to make an important and expensive buying decision. I wish there was a way we could get rid of his publication, I put him in the same category as Ken Ring, homeopaths and Psychic fortune tellers.

shelleigh, Jul 25, 2:31am
Fishy what about a wagon!
Jazz are you thinking of a Tiguan! Or a Touareg!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 2:34am
Depends on price and how important 4WD is.
If he is thinking newish then the Skoda Yeti would be my first pick. Brilliantly economical (especially around town), safe, reliable, lovely to drive, low service requirements and costs and 4WD (although you pay extra for 4WD)

Its not just me that likes the Yeti either, its won some serious awards and widespread admiration the world over.

If he is thinking older/cheaper I have some other ideas too.

friendly_prawn, Jul 25, 2:38am
haha cheers jazz, that clears that up.

friendly_prawn, Jul 25, 2:40am
This one has already been bought.I was looking at it for the mrs. Mentioned it to a cussy of mine and he snapped it up.
Not sure if it was a wise decision on his part. Never even viewed the thing first. Bought it via trademe auction.So unless there are hidden defects, he owns it.year 2000 Kia sportage. He paid $4000 for it. Will need cambelt done too.

shelleigh, Jul 25, 2:41am
The Yetis are a cute little 4WD Jazz although I like the style of the Tiguan better.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 2:44am
Ahh for 4K that's another story all together!
Might turn out O.K, especially if the cussy is going to use the 4WD. If not. should have bought a Multipla!

BTW, cheeky cousin nicking the car from under you. Mind you. next time you can always mention you have found a sweet deal on a Toyota Caviler

thejazzpianoma, Jul 25, 2:45am
I like the Tiguan too, and its often the better/easier find if you want one with the 2.0 Diesel.