How do you syphon petrol

Page 1 / 2
tjman, Jul 21, 2:24am
We just filled our car up, took it in for a wof and service and they said it will cost $3500.00 to fix it up!Think we'll get rid of the car , but it has $130 of petrol in it.!

bill-robinson, Jul 21, 2:32am
get a big deep tray, jack up car and put on stands. buy a gizmo. crawl under car and wack fuel tank with gizmo. allow fuel to drain into tray already under tank.easy

the gizmo is an ice pick.

trdbzr, Jul 21, 2:33am
Simple. Whatever the price is you want for the car, just add $130 on top of that price when selling it.

tjman, Jul 21, 2:35am
The gizmo thing sounds fun

neville48, Jul 21, 2:35am
But 6 months ago it got a WOF, go figure huh. Some tanks you cannot get a hose into them so just push on the hose down the filler port and twist it at the same time, may work or use a bucket and drain it out of the bung in the tank or take the tank out. PS; Before doing any of these tasks, make sure you put yur smoke out yea.

socram, Jul 21, 2:51am
.and keep a couple of fire extinguishers handy!Don't do it inside a garage attached to the house either, unless it belongs to your mother-in-law.

If an electric fuel pump, run a pipe from the pump outlet into a fuel container and switch on!With $130 worth of gas, that is about 65 litres.That is a lot of gas to store and if unleaded and not used within a few weeks, it will age quickly.

Go do some doughnuts and get some fun out if it.

curlcrown, Jul 21, 3:07am
What knid of car! What did it fail o!. First of all I would be taking it to another W.O.F. place if its not somewhere you usualy go.

franc123, Jul 21, 10:56am
I'd sure as hell want to know what exactly is wrong with it before going any further, are these WOF or mechanical issues or both!

pieman33h, Jul 21, 11:39am
jeeeeesus! 3500 to repair! wow. just wow.

str81, Jul 21, 12:25pm
hose in tank suck till you taste fuel and watch it flow while you pass out.

NZTools, Jul 21, 9:19pm
You cant put a hose down the filler neck of anything built after aboit 1990. Even if you are lucky enough to get the hose in there, there is an anti splash-back flap at the bottom of the tube which will prevent you getting the hose out again.

Before you do anything, take your car to another WOF outfit for a second opinion.

gammelvind, Jul 21, 9:29pm
And if you do it wrong you can burp petrol fumes for hours after, a really special feeling.

mrfxit, Jul 21, 9:32pm
LOL yea done the 1st, avoided the 2nd

the-lada-dude, Jul 21, 9:32pm
what happens if the ice pick creates a spark as the pointy end penetrates said fuel tank bill !

mrfxit, Jul 21, 9:33pm
Mmmm you too huh ;-(

mrfxit, Jul 21, 9:34pm
You get a lower price for your car AND some decent entertainment while you wait for the new owner to arrive

bill-robinson, Jul 21, 9:35pm
The liquid petrol will not burn, no problem.

neville48, Jul 22, 4:54am
amateurs !

kinger3, Jul 22, 5:34am
find the return line on the engine, take it ofput another hose on it leading to a container then start he car and wok away

fryan1962, Jul 22, 5:39am
Well you live and learn I did not know

old days garden hose suck until petrol was close to mouth drop end into a container no longer works

Cordless drill I guess

mrfxit, Jul 22, 6:05am
HEY. we all had to learn new tricks as teenagers stuck out the back of the wop wops with no gas/ car load of "mates"/ chicks/ assorted booze& several "friendly" farmers nearby

mrfxit, Jul 22, 6:08am
Progressed to building my own portable tank drain system, complete with high volume electric pump & under car catch tanks & line siphon system

bill-robinson, Jul 22, 7:44am
As I have, A facet solid state pump with short inlet pipe and long outlet. Power from an accessory plug in the lighter socket wth a hold on switch so it cannot be left running on its own

rEtyre, Jul 22, 8:30am
nothing. You can even weld a full petrol tank.

cowlover, Jul 22, 8:38am
Be nice to know.Who quoted the repair price!Sounds like a scam or windup to me.