Are these good offers?

sunny_daze, Jul 26, 1:41am
If you don't mind could you tell me what you think or these cars and the prices!
They are from local car yards and being that I live in a small town I wonder if the prices are too high!
01 Holden Commodore 184k's 11,000 down to 9,000
01 Ford XR6 115k's 14,00 down to 12,000
05 Ford Fairmont think k's were 150, Price is $10,000 but will offer lower (not sure what yet)

Thank you in advance to anyone that helps : )

thunderbolt, Jul 26, 2:04am
Prices seem about right, maybe the 01 Xr6 is a bit high.

Out of that list I would take the BA/BF Fairmont without question. (unless its been neglected of course)
Could be last of the BA's or first of the BF's being 05 vintage

sunny_daze, Jul 26, 2:15am
Thank you. It looked in good condition. It was at a different sales yard than the other 2, would that possibly be why it was similar price even though it's a newer model than the other 2!
Oh and whats BA or BF!

smac, Jul 26, 2:24am
I'd say those prices are WELL high. Yes it's a small town thing, but those dealers will only learn if you vote with your feet.

If you are prepared to get a car from Aucks or Welly you can get a '08 or '09 Falcon with less than 100k km on the clock for under $15k. So 12K for an '01 is criminal.

sunny_daze, Jul 26, 2:27am
Thanks. Small towns suck. I tend to buy out of this town for most big ticket items but figured I would see what they could offer first.

smac, Jul 26, 2:31am
Actually to be fair it's not small town, it's "outside main centre", as I'm having the same issue here.

I don't know if they think people won't look online or what, but I'm not paying 3-4k more just because I'm 4 hours from the big smoke. I'll happily go that for to save that money!

kazbanz, Jul 26, 2:33am
NOT fora second talking up local cars but in fairness you need to add 500 ish to Auckland cars to get a fair eqivilant costing>IE real world cost to transport etc

sunny_daze, Jul 26, 2:35am
We traveled to buy our last car but the same car broke down on the way to Auckland just a few weeks ago and is currently being repaired in Te Kuiti, kinda put off travelling far right now lol
But your right it does look as though we may have to travel to save $$. Whats Palmerston North like for prices, do you know!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 26, 2:36am
Crikey, thats a lot of money for old cars that were cheap models new.
You could have a newer big VW or Audi for that sort of money that would have cost several times as much as what those cars did new.

Better built, better on fuel, safer, more features and nicer to drive andtravel in while being more reliable too. Parts are not expensive or hard to get either. I know what I would buy.

smac, Jul 26, 2:38am
Yep fair call. I expect some more. But what I am seeing is nuts.

$15k for a Falcon or Mondeo in Auck, try $20-22k in Napier. $18k for a Mazda 6 up there, $24 here.

Palmerston North is a step in the right direction - always bee na big car town as it services a big rural area and many small towns. Probably halfway between Taranaki and Auckland price-wise.

sunny_daze, Jul 26, 2:40am
Thanks but what make are VW or Audis (very limited car knowledge here sorry)
ETA: So Audi is the make and VW is Volkswagen!