20" McCulloch chainsaws. Any good?

gunhand, Jul 24, 7:29am
Looking at one of these as a replacement for my Cheapo brand one I got 8 months ago. Went well for what I used it for but it broke the chain brake of all things. No idea how I did it. But as it was under warrenty I get my money back so looking at the McCulloch now. Won't be cutting down forestry blocks or 200 year old oaks with it, just abit of fire wood and trees in the yard that need a trim. Only thing about it is it has a screwdriver less chain adjuster on it. Have not seen this before.
Its a $400 saw and for what I do I don't want to spend a fortune.

splinter67, Jul 24, 7:46am
there okyou will hear that huskies are better but for your own firewood it will be just fine and thanks for the info on gas struts a lot cheaper than i can get them at the wreckers

red97, Jul 24, 8:32am
ive got a stihl and a husky and the stihl has the toolless chain tension adjuster, before i got it i had presumed that it was a gimmick but i stihl have trouble believing how well it works and how easy it makes it, having said that i had to get a chainsaw for work and i ordered a husky over the phone and when it turned up i was surprised to find it also had a toolless chain tensioner (first time i have seen one on a husky) its no exaggeration to say it is absolute rubbish, so i guess what i am trying to say in just under 10000 words is there is a chance that the tensioner may be rubbish, stihl have been doing it for years and with a bit of luck mccullock will have copied there setup

gunhand, Jul 24, 9:31am
Good interesting stuff thanks guys.Ill have a we think and investigate other models as well.

rob_man, Jul 24, 9:48am
I have a McCulloch 20" which I've had for about eight years and it's still going strong. When I bought it they were a rebadged Poulan with yellow plastic instead of green, I don't know who owns what now though.

andy61, Jul 25, 12:35am
rob_man wrote:
I have a McCulloch 20" which I've had for about eight years and it's still going strong. When I bought it they were a rebadged Poulan with yellow plastic instead of green, I don't know who owns what now though.[/quote
Owned by Husky now.I have a Poulan(same as McCulloch)],goes very well for the money,handles firewood with no issues,just keep the chain sharp.Buy heaps of files when you get your chainsaw.

noswalg, Jul 25, 4:22am
McCulloch's are ok for light jobs around the house but for $400 you'd be pushing it to get anything that'll reliably drive a 20" bar, You may be better off looking for a good second hand stihl instead. (Huskies are o.k too but as the owner of 3 commercial stihl's i'm slightly biased)

hfc2, Jul 25, 7:02am
Huskys are good , but for firewood or lighter cutting consider an echo, go good and value for money.

gunhand, Jul 25, 7:26am
Its 42cc so not that under powered!2nd hand, yea if I new its owner. Chainsaws are tempremental enough without getting someone elses tampered with machine.

noswalg, Jul 25, 8:01am
Thats a big bar for a 42cc saw, i wouldn't be going anything over 18" even then you may be better running a 16". To put it in perspective myStihl MS381 with 20" bar still bogs down in bigger logs and thats 72cc.

gunhand, Jul 25, 8:09am
Hmmmm, interesting.

dr.doolittle, Jul 25, 8:22am
Look guy's, I bought a Bunnings butt-fkno name thing & I thrash it.
It's got about a 14" bar & if the tree's too big, SO WHAT, I step around to the other side. And guess what! The tree stillfalls over.
I then chop it all up & chuck the saw in the shed until next time.
When/if it shits it's self I'll part with another $199 or less for another shiny new one with a 2x year guarantee.

rob_man, Jul 25, 8:23am
Mine might be a 22" bar, it's 61cc from memory.

dr.doolittle, Jul 25, 8:23am
Not the right attitude I know, but what the hey.

noswalg, Jul 25, 8:24am
Does it fall over on you very often!

gunhand, Jul 25, 8:31am
Sounds similer to what i had but mine had a 16" bar. Motor went very well and it had no probs cutting shit up. But the as i said the chain bar broke for no reason Im awhere of, well that I felt or seen.