I have a girly question

jules340, Jul 24, 11:30pm
When refilling my radiator, can I fill it right to the cap!Stupid I know, no laughing or finger pointing!

yachtie3, Jul 24, 11:39pm
yes you can, but if it has a header tank fill that instead.

jules340, Jul 24, 11:39pm
Plastic container next to radiator!

motorboy2011, Jul 24, 11:42pm
yes you can, unlike the oil, which cant be filled to the top, as a workmate found out. Luckily she didnt actually fill to the top with oil, she stopped when it started coming out the dip-stick hole

jules340, Jul 24, 11:43pm
Awesome. Thanks. Yup knew about the oil.Check the dip stick!

motorboy2011, Jul 24, 11:44pm
fill the radiator to the top, put the cap on, then fill the plastic tank to the max mark. done. can I ask why it needed topping up! if its been completely empty it may need bleeding.

mm12345, Jul 24, 11:45pm
Yes, the fill level on this tank is marked on most cars.
If you're needing to refill the radiator after it's been drained for some reason, for some vehicles, refilling the radiator might also require bleeding air out of the system, perhaps using bleed-screws on or around the cylinder head.Failing to do this properly when needed could result in a cracked cylinder head and serious $$$.

texastwo, Jul 24, 11:50pm
Trouble with plastic tanks is that when they get old its often hard to see the fill level because they lose their transparency. Take the time to make up a dipstick and keep it handy.

jules340, Jul 24, 11:50pm
I just noticed it was low for some reason.

tmenz, Jul 25, 12:09am
The level will settle to a bit (a few mm) below the bottom of the cap housing and should remain stable at that level after running the engine until it's thoroughly warmed up. You should be able to see coolant whenever you look in there - i.e. you should not be able to see the metal core tubes uncovered!

hounddog2, Jul 25, 4:01am
check the radiator dipstick it should let you know when its full ;p