Any advice appreciated.

Page 1 / 2
aglarana, Jul 19, 8:09am
Friend bought a car for $1,800 a few weeks ago, got a call from a bailiff saying he has to surrender the car to a finance company in 24 hours because there was a $3,500 loan on it by the previous owner.
Is there any way out of this!
I was wanting to buy the car from his because it's incredibly economical on long distance and city driving.

Thanks in advance.

grangies, Jul 19, 8:13am
The finance company owns it.

aglarana, Jul 19, 8:17am
Bugger.

andrea_w, Jul 19, 8:19am
Pays to check these things BEFORE handing over your cash.

zephyrheaven, Jul 19, 8:21am
Burn it - sorry, you did ask my advice

aglarana, Jul 19, 8:22am
Yeah. That's what we all said too. Apparently his boss knew the sellers parents and told him everything would be on the up and up. Famous last words.

pebbles61, Jul 19, 8:22am
Good call, since you're gonna be out of pocket regardless, might as well deny them the cash too :D

brapbrappy, Jul 19, 8:25am
Hide it and negotiate.

grangies, Jul 19, 8:25am
Get Tomas or Calis onto them.

Or Pug. Or even Marcos the Black.

pebbles61, Jul 19, 8:26am
rip it into lots of little pieces =D, it's your car at this stage still so you can do what you want/you can claim you did it the day after you bought the car hehehe

aglarana, Jul 19, 8:33am
hehe.

aglarana, Jul 19, 8:34am
Yeah. I'm pretty gutted. Was a perfect runabout for me.even though it was a Holden. lol.

pebbles61, Jul 19, 8:35am
Don't start that Holden shit again lol

aglarana, Jul 19, 8:36am
bwahahaaa!

grangies, Jul 19, 8:39am
Could always threaten to banish them to Kelewan.

aglarana, Jul 19, 8:51am
As long as they don't end up with softies like Hokanu and Mara.

msigg, Jul 19, 10:01am
yea bad, you could try to negotiate , but it will cost you a bit more money.

cowlover, Jul 19, 11:45am
Actually its not your car it belongs to the finance company and always did.You just handed over a pile of money to a fraudster.

smac, Jul 19, 8:09pm
If his boss knew the seller and told him it would be fine, then I'd say his boss just bought the car from him.

splinter67, Jul 19, 8:32pm
Go see the seller or his parents take some big ugly people with you. Bailiffs don't generally ring and tell you to give up your car they come and get it if they rang you most people would hide the car so something is not quite right here

pebbles61, Jul 19, 9:51pm
But when you started to destroy it, you didn't know it was theirs =D

clanky, Jul 19, 9:55pm
Dump it in the river. Then the Government and local iwi can debate over the ownership for years to come.meanwhile.

bellky, Jul 19, 10:29pm
But the advice of burning it (or whatever) is just plain juvenile, stupid, and ludacris.

floscey, Jul 19, 10:42pm
tried to start it , didnt go.

bellky, Jul 19, 10:44pm
No need to wink at me thanks^.

The Finance Co will suffer no loss. The new owner needs to get the money from the old owner; the more money that is left over (if any) after settling with the Finance Co, the more chance of OP getting their money back. So it's in OP's interests the car maintains as much value as possible.

Only other option is to maintain possession of the vehicle. That could prove more difficult than going with the flow.