Engine/trans longevity

Page 1 / 2
smac, Jul 22, 11:14pm
OK the homework continues on something to replace the trusty Astra.

What's your thoughts on how long the following engine/trans combinations should last before major work (i.e. head off or trans rebuild). Assume servicing by the book.

1. Mazda 2.5 petrol with 5 speed auto- as in 2009 Mazda 6
2. Honda 2.4 petrol with 5 speed auto - as in 2009 Honda Accord (Euro)
3. Ford 2.0 diesel with 6 speed auto - as in 2009 Mondeo
4. Ford 2.3 petrol with 6 speed auto - as in 2009 Mondeo
5. Ford 4.0 petrol with 6 speed auto - as in FG Falcon

carkitter, Jul 23, 1:04am
Honda - 300,000km +

msigg, Jul 23, 1:20am
all of those will last if servicing is done.

andy61, Jul 23, 1:21am
Honda motor 350000kms+ but keep the transmission fluid changes up(80000kms).
Mazdas should do a easy 300000km+
Falcons if you get a good one 350000kms+

gmphil, Jul 23, 1:22am
Newer trusty astra !

friendly_prawn, Jul 23, 1:22am
wouldnt a basic rule be the less an engine has to work, the longer it should last.
Bigger cubes the less work it has to do - ie ford 4.1 should out last the lot of the above shouldnt it!

smac, Jul 23, 1:35am
Well that's always been my understanding, just trying to figure out if it's still true.

The reason for wondering about this is I'm doing 30k kms a year, and am likely to buy something with 50-100k on the clock.

I could go something that costs less to run like the diesel Mondeo, but that's a false economy if it's only going to last me half as long.

sifty, Jul 23, 1:38am
I think all motors can do 300+ kms nowdays without too much drama.

There are many falcon taxis that do over 500,000, but who's to say the other cars couldn't too if they were run continuously, hot kms, maintained etc.

kdcentralni, Jul 23, 1:39am
Keep turning your cars over, my friend imports a car from Japan every 6 months and usually looses bugger all on them has an 06 Volvo S60 ATM, just sold his 03 Draguar, lost $1500 on it and pilled on 25k

thunderbolt, Jul 23, 1:40am
I would expect to get the most Km's out of the Falcon combo, assuming all servicing etc is done.

I would be wary of the upcoming changes to road user charges which may make the diesel Mondog less economical to run in the future.

bellky, Jul 23, 1:45am
Really. So they've suddenly started to build them out of rubber bands and sticks now, so past performance is no longer relevant.

doug207, Jul 23, 1:47am
Have to second this.
But, I'd be going with the diesels for the fact they make Falcon torque, in a better smaller car

chris_051, Jul 23, 2:36am
Falcon torque. maybe on paper, you forgot narrow power band, a bland drive, strict servicing intervals, motgage the house type repair bills if any thing to do with the fueling or intake/turbo shits itself.
Drive something with decent power and flat torque curve (Falcon) and most people will be hooked. Suppose it is a bonus it can also achieve mid 7l/100km fuel economy.
dohc has been around since 2002 and is a bulletproof motor, 1 million kay in Aussie taxis, ZF6 has been around longer in several makes of cars, seems as though the first thing to do is ditch the factiry plastic oil pan and replace with a steel one with replacable filter, and fit an external g.box cooler if not fitted.

smac, Jul 23, 3:51am
Well yeah, if you believe some websites, they have, and that's what worries me.

Direct injection fuel pumps costing thousands, duel mass fly wheels costing thousands.

Maybe I'm the exception for not jumping on the 'economy at all costs' bandwagon but in my circumstances reliability is king.

bwg11, Jul 23, 4:16am
Agreed. I would happily buy a common rail diesel new to run through to 150,000, most of which would be under factory warranty, BUT I think it would be a brave man to buy one at 150,000 and run it through to 300,000. Give me the big lazy falcon ever time if buying at 150,000.

chebry, Jul 23, 4:25am
Modeo diesel uses Peugeot engine/trans if serviced should run easy 500k

don_logan, Jul 23, 5:10am
Falcon engine no doubt, but not too sure about the auto.

unbeatabull, Jul 23, 5:41am
Any of those cars will be fine with servicing.

The 6 Speed in the Falcon FG Is one of the BEST Auto's I've ever driven. We have only seen two crap out since they were introduced here in NZ, both due to a Transcooler failing and letting coolant into the trans - so nothing at fault of the trans!

If you're doing that many k's a year, the Mondeo will need new pads about every 16-18 months and rotors every 2 years or so. Rear pads are lucky to get anymore then 45-50k out of them, and Fronts around 60k with rotors at the same time.

The Honda is probably the lowest power out of the lot, but will last for just as long as the others, only thing keeping in mind on how strict the servicing on the trans is . but in saying that the 6 speed in the falcon is every 90,000k as well so not much difference.

Really down to you as for which car you wish to drive. I'd own the FG myself out of that pick.

I didn't know the Mondeo diesel was a Pug engine either! lol. Would like to see some references that back that up.

don_logan, Jul 23, 6:07am
Just to claify.I wasnt trying suggest there maybe problems with the 6 speed. I just have no experience with them so couldnt say.

smac, Jul 23, 6:10am
Thanks bull. I've seen a few references to the Ford diesel being a Pug unit. Have no reason to doubt them, but also no proof. I'm sure the engine it's self is great, it's all the fancy pants stuff they hang off them now that makes me nervous.

Have driven the FG (XT), Honda Euro, Mazda 6, Mondeo diesel.

All were pretty much as expected, except the Honda surprised me (wifie more) with how harsh the ride was in town. Jiggle jiggle.

unbeatabull, Jul 23, 6:13am
If ya don't like the Mondeo Diesel, give the petrol a run as well. It's not quite as powerful, but has a lot more usable powerband and imo a bit nicer to drive, and gets rid of the possibility of diesel pump failures etc.

I have found some Honda's to be quite harsh riding as well, they generally have quite sporty/stiff suspension in quite a few models.

unbeatabull, Jul 23, 6:16am
And the Mazda 6 is a great car too. Always found their interior a lot nicer and more comfortable then the Ford interiors . just the damn gear shift column always annoys me on them on the Autos! lol

smac, Jul 23, 6:16am
The thing with the petrol Mondeo was that the consumption is getting up near the Falcon.so was thinking I'd go the Falcon as a bit more of a known factor.

The petrol Mondeo's are dirt cheap though.must be a bunch of them coming off lease.

smac, Jul 23, 6:18am
Yeah that shift gate is crazy! Wifie got it wrong and chucked it in sport and couldn't figure out why it was revving it's tits off.

I think I have pretty low standards as far as interiors.all of the above cars are just fine by me. I tend to look out the screen rather than at the dash!

vtecintegra, Jul 23, 6:19am
[quote=unbeatabull
I didn't know the Mondeo diesel was a Pug engine either! lol. Would like to see some references that back that up.[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine

The six-speed DSG isn't used in Peugeots though