Engine/trans longevity

Page 2 / 2
unbeatabull, Jul 23, 6:24am
Ah, they've been used in Pugs, still a Ford engine though as I thought.

tuttyclan, Jul 23, 6:27am
sifty wrote:
I think all motors can do 300+ kms nowdays without too much drama.
My 1982 Mitsubishi Sigma has 301,500 km on the original engine gearbox and diff.The fact the car is now 30 years old that gives it a average of only 10,000 km a year.
At work we have a 2008 Toyota Hiace thats just turned four years old and driven 24/7 around the airport termials and its got 348,300 km.
Long gone is the day (pre 1970s)when a engine had to have a decoke around 50,000 km and a full rebuild by 160,000 km.
If the engine is well maintained there is no reason why an engine wont do 3-400,000 km without major work.If a car or truck is running all of the time and never gets to cool down( ie no cold starts) a engine could go to one million plus km.Plenty of trucks around with over a million on the engine.

chebry, Jul 23, 6:29am
The HDI engines are a joint development by PSA/Ford the duratorque is dead replaced by the much better Peugeot engines.

vtecintegra, Jul 23, 6:29am
Look at the specific models in the recent Mpondeo (duratorque is the catch all for all Ford diesels) - they're based on PSA models

unbeatabull, Jul 23, 6:33am
The Duratorq is the engine that will be in the Mondeo of the year range that OP was asking about. The HDI didn't come out until the facelift Mondeo last year I believe . in NZ anyway

unbeatabull, Jul 23, 6:36am
Ah never mind, had a bit of a better look through the pages.

tuttyclan, Jul 23, 6:40am
I would go for the Honda Accord Euro.
I have a 1997 Honda Accord VTi Auto and it drives brillantly and is reliable and is cheap on fuel for a 2200cc and 107 kw (for a 1997 car) is great.Current kms are 214,200 km and have just completed a 1,050 km road trip a couple of weeks ago.
I know of another Honda Accord of the same vintage that still has all of its original running gear and has over 450,000 km on it.
Have a look here on Trademe and you will see a few of them with high kms on them,infact its hard to find a low km one out there.

smac, Jul 23, 7:11am
Yeah but how does that relate to the 2008+ one!

mrfxit, Jul 23, 8:49am
LOL yep,
Brothers EB coon has an unknown amount of km's on it now because the odometer stopped working 7 years ago at 265,000km's & theres been several Auckland /south island trips since then

unbeatabull, Jul 23, 8:52am
My EL is just about to clock over 330,000 and hasn't had anything major outside servicing done to it.

carkitter, Jul 23, 9:39am
If you think the 1997 model is good (I owned a 1996 VTi model, I agree the are good) the 2008 Euro will blow you away - COTY in Australia and topping reliabilty surveys in Europe.

Falcon will NOT do 7L/100km, 10-14L/100km is the factory claim depending on model. Also Falcon is hard on brakes and unlike Accord requires regular disc rotor changes which are not cheap.

Also, EB - EL Falcons are slow, ugly and poor handling; BA, BF, BG are far, far superior cars.

chebry, Jul 23, 9:48am
Those Aussie cabbages run a low compression motor on LPG and are never switched off dont expect that sort of milage on petrol and cold engine running it doesnt happen

chebry, Jul 23, 9:52am
Dont forget Fords neat trick of extending trans service intervals to match Holdens strengthened Trannys Ford made no improvements just increased the interval to 100k kms every repco and Ford agent had to stock up on tranny rebuild kits to rebuild blown trannys which luckily used to blow while under warranty

chris_051, Jul 23, 10:02am
And your point. the mileages the cabs do over there is nothing to writ off, i bet the 4.0 are still on the original timing chains and hydraulic lifters too. But you'll find the dedicated LPG motors actually have higher compression ratios, and I've seen plenty of petrol and dual fuel Falcons north of 600k in NZ.

car kitter the FG with the ZF6 is able to achieve mid 7s on a trip at 100kmh, put it on a decent flat road like sh27 etc and it will be low7l/100km. As for around town well that all comes down to how you drive it.

unbeatabull, Jul 23, 10:04am
Wow lots of random claims on the above few posts, any facts to back those up!

We have had very few trans warranty claims on Falcons. The majority of the ones we get are either do to overloading/overtowing or doing burnouts or the transcooler failing (was common place on the older 4 speeds to fit an aftermarket cooler). On the new ZF 6 Speed in the model we were talking about we haven't had anything internal problematic yet, other then a transcooler which was just recently.

Falcons are great on brakes, especially B Series onwards. Can easily get 120,000kout of a set of pads, and rotors can get 200,000k out of. There is a myth that they are crap rotors on the B Series coon, in fact it is a poor adjustment in the master cylinder/brake booster pushrod clearance that needs to be rectified as well as a quick skim on the rotors. Most just skim/replace the rotors and still have the same problem as they haven't actually fixed the cause.

LPG is great IMO and is greatly underused in the industry. Much cleaner burning, and similar - in the case of the FG better - performance then petrol. Yeah it uses a little more but it also costs quite a bit less. Taxi's & lease companies wouldn't be running them if they were losing money on it.

Not taking anything away from the Honda, they are a good reliable car as well. Just saying, people are always so quick to bash the Coon cause of what a mates mate father said

splinter67, Jul 23, 10:07am
For most of us they're first and foremost transport for people and their gear. We really don't give a toss if one car is 0.25s faster to 100km/h or can go around a corner 10km/h faster. Practicality is what matters.[/quote]

I agree with this part of your post the rest of it not so much but that's because I like Holdens