Remove broken Bolt.

Page 1 / 2
joaopnz, Jul 21, 5:54am
Hi Guys. Need some help here.
Has flushing my radiator but could not get the clip of the house of. At the end of the hose was 2 bolts that joined the hose cap tot he radiator.

Removed one of the bolts very easy, but the other one snapped flush with the radiator.

I have tried using pliers ( not enough grip) tried also a Screw Extractor but the bolt is not very long plus due to the position I cannot drill strait
I did think of removing the radiator off but after 5 hours I gave up as it seems impossible on my Mitsubishi colt.

Any clue I may have not yet tried!

Thanks,

John

red97, Jul 21, 6:14am
just to clarify, are you talking about a hose clamp! could you not just get the angle grinder in there or a hacksaw very carefully! 90% of the way through and you should be able to snap it then put a new clamp on.

joaopnz, Jul 21, 6:34am
Hi Mate. No, not the hose clamp. The hose clamp I could not take off in first place, so I tried to take the two bolts that attached the hose fitting to the radiator(and doing that I did not have to take the hose clamp). That's the bolt that snapped.

tks

red97, Jul 21, 6:57am
ouch
can only suggest you get the radiator out, what are you having trouble with, is there a shroud on the radiator that has to come off first to give more room!

thunderbolt, Jul 21, 7:01am
Can you post a picture! Radiator hose clamps over steel pipes which are part of the radiator. Hard to work out what you have broken.

red97, Jul 21, 7:05am
yeah mine has a bolt on adaptor too, that way they can acomodate different hose positions for different models i think, could you get hold of a drill with a right angle chuck (angle grinder style, never seen one but id be surprised if they didnt exist)!

skull, Jul 21, 7:48am
Stop messing around and take the radiator out, you have already wasted 5 hours and achieved nothing. Once you have the radiator out you will either be able to fix it properly or get the radiator man to fix it for you. I hope the bottom tank isn't plastic.

skull, Jul 21, 7:51am
I'm not sure about yours but on a Falcon I had the Air Con was a separate radiator and did not have to be drained to get the radiator out, the pipes in the bottom of mine were for the auto trans cooling.

incar., Jul 21, 7:54am
Next time don't touch, radiator out, yes it will be a plastic tank. If you??

red97, Jul 21, 7:54am
there will be a couple of transmission fluid hoses if its auto but they are normally on the bottom. silly question but does it leak with only one bolt hold it!

incar., Jul 21, 7:55am
Not related to the question at all

red97, Jul 21, 7:57am
oh cmon mate thats not the kiwi way, think of all the things you learn when something goes pearshaped, may cost you a few bucks if it goes real bad but the satisfaction when it goes right is pretty sweet so ive heard

red97, Jul 21, 7:59am
could well be related to the question if those hoses in the pic are not attached to the radiator then it is one less thing to worry about for him/her, looks like they may go around the front out of sight

incar., Jul 21, 7:59am
A 30 minutes job has already taken a full day because of a bloody bolt.

Haha its always someone or somethings faults, if you knew what you were doing you wouldnt be in this situation

skull, Jul 21, 8:00am
Neither is this mr policeman.

incar., Jul 21, 8:01am
they are A/C pipes, dont bent them to much or you will snap the pipes, more dramas

red97, Jul 21, 8:04am
you are obviously a very talented guy as you have never broken a bolt, for those mortals amongst us that have it would be nice if the clever guys like you could tell us how to fix it instead of going on about how we should never have tried

joaopnz, Jul 21, 8:05am
I new what I was doing, removing a bolt, the bolt was rusted and snapped.

skull, Jul 21, 8:05am
Right on the money.

joaopnz, Jul 21, 8:07am
Not a silly question at all. I have filled up with just water and will have it running int he morning to see what happens.

skull, Jul 21, 8:09am
At least you still have tomorrow to get it out mate. I doubt that you will need to disable the Air Con to get the radiator out but others with more experience will be able to offer better advice on any tips and tricks. I think one thing is certain though and that is radiator must come out now.

joaopnz, Jul 21, 8:10am
No way man. Will keep breaking things but will not stop.

skull, Jul 21, 8:12am
If it doesn't leak I wouldn't be inclined to trust it as safe to continue using it though. You could probably drive it to the radiator guy who will be able to do the whole job for you. There's one in Moselle Ave.

joaopnz, Jul 21, 8:16am
Exactly, it most likely what is going to happen, but I will have another go at removing it tomorrow (if the weather helps.)

joaopnz, Jul 21, 8:16am
Knew.