Personalized plate question

turton, Jul 19, 6:59am
I currently have a p plate on my car at the moment, and intend to replace it with a different personalized plate. My understanding is that if i replace the plates i must hand in the old ones to AA / vtnz etc. but i want to keep the old ones to sell, how do i go about doing this!Thanks

minivaner, Jul 19, 7:01am
when it comes to p plates you get to keep your old plates because they are yours

turton, Jul 19, 7:11am
awesome cheers for that.

petermcg, Jul 19, 10:00pm
The plates belong to you, even if you sell the car with the plates on, they still belong to you, there is a process to go through to change the true ownership of P plates.

socram, Jul 20, 4:53am
Originally, you were supposed to hand them in, but the logistics of storage and reissue were too complex, so they scrapped it.
Changing the plates is no more than a matter of form filling anda modest amount for the new rego label.
Transferring ownership of the plates you are selling I am not sure about, but probably another form/receipt!

shuddupowh, Jul 20, 5:26am
Go to plates.co.nz and click on the link that takes you to the form to transfer plates. Easy as, no trickery involved. And when you change the plates over they are your forever (unless sold) even if not regod on a car, dont hand them in.

turton, Jul 20, 5:33am
Thanks for your help, all sorted now =)

n1smo_gtir, Jul 20, 10:14am
Take both plates in for sighting purpose, fill few forms out to say you changing from one p plate to another, pay the transfer fee which is sweet bugger all, under a dollar from memory and get your new label and take both p plates with you.

you only surrender generic plates when you changing to p plates. if you take p plates off and replacing with generic, you pay something like $12 or $15 for the generic set and the transfer fee.