15000km oil change intervals

Page 1 / 2
bastardsquad, Aug 9, 5:33am
I'm used to seeing euro cars with 15k intervals,but was surprised to see 15000 next to the SG SH SJ(plus lots japanese gibberish) on the sticker under the bonnet of my 2005 Nissan (QG15DE). Was planning to use 5w30 full synthetic, would this realistically go 15K in a 2.7L oil capacity engine! Apparently 10w30 is recommended and 5w30 gives a slight fuel economy gain.

neo_psy, Aug 9, 6:05am
My 2004 Commodore had 15K intervals.
And our 2005 Galant has 15K intervals. We change it every 10K anyway.

You don't *have* to wait 15k. If you're happier with half that, or 10K, then just change it earlier. With that capacity, I'd change it more often, but that's just me.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 6:40am
15K is not a long interval these days. Even 40'000km changes are not unusual.

If that's what the car is actually rated for and you are using a quality full synthetic that should be absolutely fine.

bastardsquad, Aug 9, 6:40am
Thats the thing, if it was a 5L oil capacity engine i'd feel more comfortable with 15K, but 2.7 is tiny!(my bike takes 1.9L every 6000km) Having said that, manufacturer seems happy, and they know better! I'd like the cost saving if it were possible.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 6:43am
Our Punto Diesel is only about 3l from memory, it has 30'000km changes. Its always good to check on these things but so long as that is the actual manufacturers interval and not something someone has just written on the sticker then go for gold.

You could always check against the recommended intervals on the Castrol or Penrite websites. Both of those have "lube guides" where you can look up the vehicle.

twink19, Aug 9, 6:44am
our service intervals are recommened every 15km, but still do it every 10km

clark20, Aug 9, 7:13am
Mine 15,000km however I have 8.4L of oil, so it would still be good. 3.0L for 15.000km I would be changing at 7500km, esp if turbo'ed

trouser, Aug 9, 7:22am
It is clearly impossible.
It is quite obvious if you use the NZ standard for oil changes (NZS:2278765) the rule is 2000km per liter capacity. Thats with the $20+ per liter synthetic oil. Much less for the cheap stuff.

The thousands of hours designing and testing that engine manufacturers do is invalid the second a car is in the country and their recommendations should be treated with suspicion as they could be an industrialist plot to undermine our transport and recreation sector.

Do as I do and drain, fill, drain and fill again every time the car enters the drive way. Similar to how you should wash your hands 12 times in row after using the toilet.

I have to scoff at those who don't follow the standard and risk engine failure. Look at all those poor misguided souls stranded on the side of the highway. Hundreds if not thousands every day with expensive engine repairs that could have easily been avoided.

NZTools, Aug 9, 7:23am
Why! Filters are better than they were ten yeas ago, oil is better than it was ten years ago, and engines are better than they were ten years ago. Both car manufacturers and oil suppliers will err in the side of caution, which means they could probably happily handle twice as long as the manufacturers recommended service intervals.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 7:30am
This completely ignores the most important factor. That being the engines capacity to contaminate the oil. If you have a properly efficient engine you don't need massive filters or lots of oil to get away with long change intervals because the oil isn't getting as dirty in the first place.

I suspect you are talking about a diesel in this instance. If you look at the oil change intervals of common rail vs traditional diesels you will see a clear pattern. Likewise the fuel consumption figures.

It all goes hand in hand, more efficient engines use less fuel for the same reason they contaminate their oil less.

sr2, Aug 9, 7:40am
My Diesel Ducato has an oil change interval of 30,000 km. Quite a change from 5,000 km with the Hiace I owned previously!

clark20, Aug 9, 7:46am
Yeah, but you should see how I drive. Been described as an Arab, and treat the accelerator like a switch, its either on or off! Last year everyone was saying how they change oil early!

scuba, Aug 9, 7:52am
factory recommendations are a good starting point from there you have to allow for actual driving conditions.
ieshort distances/extreme conditions etc will shorten the recommended oil change distances.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 7:55am
+1 Thats why I like to turn the variable intervals on.

unbeatabull, Aug 9, 7:58am
It comes a lot down to what the engine was designed for and what the oil is designed for. I've seen some Euro stuff (Mercedes!) Which has 50-60k out of oil. The oil is considerably more expensive though obviously.

As long as you use the oil that meets the specs of the manufacturer then there is no reason why you need to change the interval from the manufacturer, unless you're engine is having problems/noise etc.

No harm in doing earlier changes though! Although I was once told that an oil filter isn't at its best filtration until it is about halfway through its life, hence why a lot of places do a filter change every second oil change when on shorter intervals.

franc123, Aug 9, 7:59am
These long service intervals have only been dreamed up because thats what fleet operators and their accountants want to see, but granted advanced lubricant and general manufacturing technology has been a factor in being able to stretch oil change intervals. All of this doesn't mean much when you are served up petrol and diesel of the barely acceptable quality that we have here. That is the real contaminant of the oil.I would still as a general rule be watching very closely the condition of it after 10k has passed in an averagely worn engine.

zak1998, Aug 9, 8:07am
Evo's are oil change ever 3000

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 8:10am
At the risk of starting a tangent.
How absurd is it that we only have one fuel provider who stocks 98 Octane fuel when so many modern direct injection engines require it to function properly.
Its almost as absurd as Gull buying up rural service stations where they are the only provider and not stocking any fuel suitable for many vehicles, farm equipment and boats.

johnf_456, Aug 9, 8:28am
I agree, that's is a while for the average domestic user so easily once a year.

johnf_456, Aug 9, 8:28am
I agree, that's is a while for the average domestic user so easily once a year. Oil is cheap so 10,000 is fine for me, cheaper than a engine rebuild.

carclan, Aug 9, 8:32am
I do my 05 V8 Fairmont about 5000-6000 km, oil is cheaper than and engine. 15000 is far to high in my opinion.

unbeatabull, Aug 9, 8:35am
Have to remember it isn't only a mileage interval. It is 15000k OR 12 months whichever comes first. The amount of people we get think it is both or the one that hasn't been met yet.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 8:40am
Sometimes its 2 years with good synthetic in some applications now.

But I agree whole heatedly with the principle of what you are saying. especially when you apply the same to cambelts!

slarty45, Aug 9, 8:43am
15k oil change service on my car, but it's getting grubby by 10k, so I change it at 10k, I plan on keeping it for yonks

bastardsquad, Aug 9, 8:53am
I'm still in the dark. Previous vehicle was honda B20B, owned 9 yrs, did 130K on top of the 100K already on it when I bought it. 4.5L oil capacity, ran on cheap 10w40 changed every 10/11K the whole time and didnt use oil when sold.Trust the manufacturer sticker under the hood or go with the tried and trusted 10K ! Car will always do more than 10 K per 12 months. Crikey, I could almost get 2 oil changes out of a 5L pack over 30,000km if I trust the sticker !