15000km oil change intervals

Page 2 / 2
sw20, Aug 9, 8:55am
I wish my car would make it to 5000km on one oil change!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 8:58am
I would be more hesitant about 10K on cheap 10w40 mineral oil than 30K with Synthetic. (Assuming both were manufacturers recommendations)

If its any help, I have had the Multipla for over 120'000km bringing it to about 220K on the clock. I have only ever done 15K oil changes and it still does not need topping up with oil between changes.

My advice is what the manufacturer recommends will be just fine.

franc123, Aug 9, 9:00am
Its a tangent worth starting Jazz, the motoring public should be questioning the quality of the fuel they buy. I reckon it would be a damn interesting excercise to run a vehicle, especially a modern CR diesel, with a fresh sump of manufacturers spec oil, new genuine filter, and sample the oil after 10,15,20 and finally at its scheduled change ,under consistant running conditions, ie say a courier or rd service, and send it for lab analysis. You would soon find out when it should be changed by the acidity and presence of metal particulates etc, I'd predict in a NZ situation this would be far less than the markets from which such vehicles originate from, and what their recommendations are.

bastardsquad, Aug 9, 9:09am
The 10w40 was semi synth, however the 5w30 is pricey full synthetic. I might give 15K a bash then, check the condition of the oil visually at 10K too, make sure not too dark/cloudy. Car will be used for minimum 12km trip @ open road speed each time it is started(live rurally) - maybe this will help.

turton, Aug 9, 9:14am
oil change every 5000k's for me, with full synthetic. I would say around 10k intervals for a standard car, and maybe 5k intervals for high performance cars

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:18am
Any time you get nervous. just remember I am running 30K changes with a similar amount of oil. that might make you sleep better at night.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:24am
I only run BP Ultimate Diesel and can't use anything other than Ultimate 98 in my daily runner anyway (Direct injection).

While I think its worth looking into I must say I think fuels are a lot better of late than they were a few years ago. I did some reading with regard to diesel a while back and marsden point has had two major upgrades and what they were producing looked pretty good spec wise. Of course not all our fuel comes from there though.

I also see plenty of late model Euro courier and postie vans with 40'000km service intervals that seem to be holding up well at extreme milage.

That said, I still run an additive in our diesel. No harm in a bit of extra protection, just as there is no harm in doing some extra investigation as you suggest. I would be most interested in the results.

BTW, I do wonder how many people out there are running direct injection cars on the incorrect fuel and causing themselves major headaches with regard to repairs as well as ruining their fuel economy.

tara101, Aug 9, 9:25am
I drove a 2003 Nissan with a QG16DE to 340000ks servicing it every 15000kms with10w40 semi synthetic Total oil. 3 litres of oil every change andthe level never changed on the dip stick.

thewomble1, Aug 9, 2:25pm
2004 Maxima J31 handbook says 7500km oil changes.

1coppertone, Aug 9, 7:11pm
And witheverything mentioned here so far don't over look the Air filters vital role. it plays a huge part in keeping out contaminates from both oil and fuel. i generally shake/blow out the old one and put it back in unless its obviously and visibly stuffed then she's on with a new one and while your at it inspect and if need be clean out all blowby hoses that ran in and out of it.

1coppertone, Aug 9, 7:37pm
but what id realy like to know is what's with all these oil additives now on the market like motor up etc! do these products added to your existing motor oil give it a longer shelf life meaning perhaps even less frequent oil changes than what the handbook states!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 8:44pm
Quality synthetic oil should be fine for 2 years anyway in a suitable application. Trying to go beyond that is getting a bit crazy IMO.

Deviating from what the handbook recommends is not a good idea IMO either.

1coppertone, Aug 9, 9:21pm
thanks jazz for some unknown reason i've alway steered away from these oil additives, may be its the additional extra costs that scares me! lol

raymond00001, Aug 9, 11:08pm
How long will you own this car for. When its time to sell or trade in most people take your word on how often you've serviced it etc only the real finicky will demand to see full service history. Accidently went 20k on last oil change and wasn't even as dirty as expected, zero oil consumption, clean engine. Not critical unless your going to keep for a long time.

kdcentralni, Aug 10, 12:57am
This ^^ do what the manufacturer reccomends, I'm sure my mechanic would love it if they said every 5000k but the don't - for a reason. You'll probably notice a little engine wear by not changing the oil 30% earlier over the years when the engine has 400k on it, and the WOF inspector kills it before then anyway.

rovercitroen, Aug 10, 1:13am
I've always been a stickler for using really good oils and filters and changing them regularly. I suspect that the future owners of my cars get more benefit from it than I do.