Motor overhaul. Hi can somebody give me a typical ballpark cost to do ringsbearings and cam belt on a 2 litre sigma motor thats

islaybrian, Aug 9, 9:36am
Hi can somebody give me a typical ballpark cost to do rings,bearings and Cam belt on a 2 litre Sigma motor thats travelled 290,000 ks please! I have owned this car since new and am finding it hard to just junk it,a decision I have to make next few days.It is blowing a bit of smoke and failed WOF on this.Is this correct!
Thanks.

roys351, Aug 9, 9:43am
way cheeper to buy a good secondhand motor or complete rusty car for a donor even if you got a garage to swap motors (yours has to come out anyway)

extrayda, Aug 9, 9:46am
Might also need some work on the head unless you have been told otherwise.

supernova2, Aug 9, 9:49am
Parts $4-500 BUT then if manual should do clutch etc etc.If you can do it yourself then do it if not then labour could bump that up to $1500 - $2000.If its only smoke for a WOF then some of those stop smoke products from Ripco etc might bea short termsolution.

roys351, Aug 9, 9:52am
let me guess vtnz! if so take it to a real garage

wimwom, Aug 9, 9:59am
Get the valve stem seals done and you will probably find that your problem is gone.

islaybrian, Aug 9, 10:17am
Thanks for suggestons.I like the one about the valve stem seals and am wondering ow they can be checked to see if they are the problem.I shold have mentioned that the car drives very well and on the road is as quiet and smooth as a six,thanks to the balance shaft~

supernova2, Aug 9, 10:23am
There is a way of doing the stem sealks without taking the head off if you can be bothered with the fiddle.

msigg, Aug 9, 10:34am
Yes it will be valve stems,you can fix those, a second hand motor could be just as bad, mitsi were very bad for this, a whole reco engine will be about $ 3000- $4000 I guess, getting a shop to do it, the car is not worth it.

gizmsme, Aug 9, 10:42am
supernova2 wrote:
There is a way of doing the stem sealks without taking the head off if you can be bothered with the fiddle.[/quote. Rope down spark plug hole!
There was a tool available for doing them, made job quite easy.Those engines normally only require rings and big ends.The rings were about $60 trade for protects and big ends were around same, as said, do stem seals and things wil probably be fine.Always found their hunger for oil was less when run on the Fuchs multi grade oil.

islaybrian, Aug 9, 10:22pm
Thanks msigg and gizmsme.Oil cosumption doesnt seem too excessive but the car puts out a lot of smoke andfumes which lost me a new wof.Yes it is an old dunger but motors so well and is quieter and smoother than most other cars.A breeze to drive too.

splinter67, Aug 9, 10:34pm
Check some places in Hastings or palmy north as you are in a small town could be cheaper to get it done in a bigger city where they have auto machinists Quality autos in hastings would be a good place to start they have done a few jobs for me always been spot onand quick they can do the whole job onsite

strobo, Aug 10, 7:59am
The only thing good in the mitsubishi sigma is the heater

phillip.weston, Aug 10, 8:34am
The RWD 2.0 engine is getting harder and harder to find, a second hand one can be upwards of $500+ and could be in the same condition as yours. Ifyou have the garage space to do it, I would be inclined to pull the engine out yourself, dismantle it, send the cylinder head to the engine shop ($400), and build up the bottom end yourself with aftermarket parts ($300-400 max). A SOHC 4G63 is really easy to work on and you really can't muck it up. You just have to be careful with checking for big and main bearing clearances.

Otherwise keep an eye out on trademe for a good engine to come up I suppose.

phillip.weston, Aug 10, 8:35am
also if the 28 days to re-check is running out, no worries just put it through another WOF afterwards. Should be no rush so long as you have the room to store it and the reg isn't about to lapse!

johnf_456, Aug 10, 9:12am
Good advice and if the rego is about to run out, put it on hold. No need to pay tax on it when its not in use!

phillip.weston, Aug 10, 10:04am
well that doesn't say what engine it came off. it could be a 4G62 1.8, 4G63 2.0 or the turbo variants of either, or it could even be a 4G64 2.4. The camshaft would be different for each variant. It is a non jet valve head so most likely NZ-new, and is missing the fuel pump blank off plate so I would say 1.8 or 2.0 carb. Would most likely be suitable. As per the other thread I would say the engine would need more than just a reco'd head. Rings would be one of the reasons for the smoke too.

splinter67, Aug 10, 10:08am
And if you replaced the head it wont be long before you are back in there replacing rings and bearings may as well do the whole job at the same time

phillip.weston, Aug 10, 10:10am
^^ yeah exactly. Have seen many tired bottom ends spit the dummy once a shaved head has been fitted (sudden compression ratio increase).

splinter67, Aug 10, 10:17am
Made that mistake when I was young dad told me what to do (he was a mechanic ) but being a teenager I knew better glad he was there to help me rebuild it when it ran a bearing

phillip.weston, Aug 10, 10:20am
one engine of mine started the bearing rattle 10,000kms after top end overhaul and then took a further 40,000kms to actually run the bearing good and proper, another car of mine I picked up (already damaged) had the top end overhauled at a cost of $2700 (V6) only to have the bottom end run two bearings, snap one rod, shatter a piston and jam a bent rod between block and crank girdle the very next week after.

groverg, Aug 10, 10:43am
Check the jet valves if it has them. Had one go on me back
in the 90's - smoked like billyo.