Car accident who is at fault?

Page 1 / 2
macac, Sep 1, 7:19am
I'm in a store car park backing into a car park.Almost in then pause to let people walk behind me.still with backing light on restart reversing.a car comes off the road into store car park and because I am in their way tries to drive around me into where I am backing.I didnt see them , (they saw me and said they wondered what I was doing!) then we hit.back of my car into front side of theirs. I guess because they have come into the carparks flow of traffic, flow-being me backing they should of stopped and given way before driving into store car park!
They of course don't have insurance! I do.
What are your thoughts!

kiwienglish, Sep 1, 7:21am
Don't really know, but I would say they should have stopped

macac, Sep 1, 7:24am
I sure wish they had of.

skylab6, Sep 1, 7:24am
Their fault entirely. hand it to your insurer and let them do their job, ie chasing money from other driver.

grangies, Sep 1, 7:26am
They should have stopped, but I think the law will say it is your fault.

mantagsi, Sep 1, 7:27am
Eeek, I hate to say it, but I would think that morally you may be in the right, but legally you are in the wrong, as you are actually interrupting a lane as such (insert lots of air quotes here). The problem is no matter what the rules are, you are at the mercy of an exponentially growing population of moron drivers and motorised dropkicks who practise ignorance as a way of life. Sorry to hear of your plight, hope it works out OK in the end :)

attitudedesignz, Sep 1, 7:28am
Not 100% sure BUT because you were reversing i think you're at fault.

fastpostie, Sep 1, 7:30am
When you are backing it's your responsibilityto make sure the way is clear

gammelvind, Sep 1, 7:33am
It will probably cost you your excess regardless of who is at fault. Let the insurance co sort where the fault lays. Tend to agree with attitudedesignz.

quater, Sep 1, 7:36am
What is the point of backing into a carpark. You can't get to the boot.

attitudedesignz, Sep 1, 7:36am
Hey gammelvind, any idea who hamilton (Roger) has got in mind for NP! Ya heard 'bout Gael aye!

neville48, Sep 1, 8:02am
always understood if you were in reverse gear and had an accident you were in the wrong.

mantagsi, Sep 1, 8:12am
Perhaps the OP (like the rest of the world) doesn't need to get into the boot after every single visit to the shops! :P

macac, Sep 1, 8:25am
The driver may of been trying to beat me to the park as there was no room to get around me! I just can't understand why they didn't just wait. If I was unsure what someone was doing I would give them a wide berth or honK!

henderson_guy, Sep 1, 8:34am
There are some companies for which it is policy to reverse park.

mrfxit, Sep 1, 8:41am
Very common, had a few close calls when backing out of supermarket parks & will be halfway out & still moving (reverse lights on) when ZOOOOM goes a car squeezing past behind me

mrfxit, Sep 1, 8:42am
MMMMM yea thats the crunch unless you can prove they knowingly forced the issue.

granada, Sep 1, 8:47am
I like to reverse in as well. Obviously he was trying to steal your carpark. I think I would have gone forward and had another crack at him.I dont think you need to tell the insurance company about your pause for pedestrians.I hope you didnt admit liability , Did youdamage your car as well. Your insurance company will find a reason to persue them for damages so just fill in the form and claim.

andrewcg53, Sep 1, 8:50am
Let the Insurance company sort it out it is their responsibility now

quater, Sep 1, 8:56am
So you are saying a quick trip to the shops, so you piss around backing into a car park. You make people wait while you are doing this and some just get pissed and push past. some people put way too much thought into their day. really whats the point.

I was waiting for the mrs one day at a pack n save car park. This woman back her car in. When she came out with her loaded trolly she realised she couldn't get to her boot. So she seen a gap between two cars further down so pushed her trolly down the gap. She didn't realise the gap narowed so her trolly started to hit the cars, She pushed it really hard and ended up getting it stuck. I was thinking to myself what a total ****wit.

gammelvind, Sep 1, 9:33am
Nope and nope, but being out on the road most of the day tend to hear about goss late.

mantagsi, Sep 1, 10:00am
Fortunately I am very fast at reversing my car into a carpark, I can put my hand on my heart and say that I don't hold people up at all! Mind you in saying that I don't muck about trying to get a close park. For many reasons (such as avoiding getting hit by morons) I tend to park a wee way away from the shop, no worries.

mantagsi, Sep 1, 10:01am
Mind you come to think of it quater, either way at some stage you have to reverse in a carpark, whether you go fowards in or backwards in, so yeah, your point is kind of negated.

When reversing into a carpark, your car is already in the main stream of traffic, and you can indicate your intentions, and you can see everyone clearly. Do it right and you won't leave gaps etc that morons will try to take. Then when you leave, you can see better, and pop out with a minimum of fuss

quater, Sep 1, 10:05am
Not really, backing out is the common and more acppected way. Backing out you have to wait on others, Backing in others have to wait for you to finish.

mantagsi, Sep 1, 10:08am
Is it! I find in the town I am in, no one waits for you. The same principle that there is no 'fast lane' as such on the motorway, and there is no 'accepted way' to enter a carpark. Well not anymore there is. FWIW I can do it properly, and I make an effort to not be a nuisance on the road, it works for me! No worries, if you ever see me I'll be sure to park quick as a flash to let you on your way, and I'll carry my groceries in a shopping basket :) no worries!