Lowering cars. a question.

Page 3 / 3
gunhand, Aug 31, 10:02am
The cop cars had FE2 suspension (holdens) so they will be the equiv of whatever that is now prob. But wont be lowered any lower than an ss or whatever factory set up is available I wouldnt think.

vivac, Aug 31, 10:02pm
Wow, this has really got the grannis out of bed hasnt it.
Lowering your car by 40mm is not going to make it fall off the road at the slightest corner despite what some tards on here spout. Lowering a car will make it a bit bumpier on NZs decidedly average roads but this is the tradeoff for the look you want. Lowering a car has a couple of performance benefits if done correctly, lowering the centre of gravity will make a car handle better, firming up the spring rate will also add grip IF you get a proper wheel alignment to correct things like the addition of camber that lowering will adjust. "The manufacturers spend billions" argument is void here as they must have a tradeoff with ground clearance and comfort which the OP may be able to live with the tradeoff adjustment. It could be said that race teams spend alot aswell to make their cars lower and firmer.

friendly_prawn, Aug 31, 10:12pm
There are poeple that can lower their cars sensibly and have a genuine reason for it.
Unfortunately I think the point you are miissing is most only lower their cars to follow their boy racers mates ideas of Kewl!
Just look at any of the boy racer type cars on trademe, vans with rotarys in it, etc.

bellky, Aug 31, 10:16pm
Yep as everyone has said there is a trade-off.

Lowered cars look better (imo), and handle better on smooth roads up tothe speed limit.

Factory height cars handle way better on roads that are uneven and undulating above the speed limit.

Lowered cars (100mm legal limit) can be scary at about 120 and very scary at say 150/160+.

ksam, Aug 31, 10:30pm
Agree, I bought a Hiace that had been lowered a little, looked great, horrible ride, particularly bad at most building sites (probably doesn't apply to OP) Had it raised back to standard, way nicer.

mrfxit, Sep 1, 3:44am
LOL. rubbish

mrfxit, Sep 1, 3:50am
Funny thing about all this lowering/beefing up / making it corner better etc etc done by BR's & wannabe's, .

How many modern std factory cars do you see falling off the road compared to modded (as per above for 'the looks") BR style & "other" reasons particular to the "lowering brigade"

mrfxit, Sep 1, 3:53am
For whatever reason . A large number of modded jappa cars don't seem to be around for any more then2 or 3years at best before they are crashed /stripped / blown up/ impounded a few times

mantagsi, Sep 1, 7:24am
I think the point is actually the people driving them that causes them to fall off the road, not the modifications :D

mrfxit, Sep 1, 7:48am
True, but makes you wonder about the capability's/mentality of a lot of those ppl in the 1st place

lovelurking, Sep 1, 8:01am
surely the manufacturer would produce them lowered if that was going to be better!
I reckon they should know best so why would you change it!

mrfxit, Sep 1, 8:29am
There is a certain manufacturing compromiseto suit a variety of different markets & equipment levels, but it's not as big a difference as the BR's would have the public believe.

It wasn't until about the80's onwardsthat handling started to became a serious issue for joe blogs drivers because of the new engine tech being used, so suspensions HAD to be upgraded to suit the new power levels.

Serious gains could be had prior to the 80's by modding suspensions etc.

From what I understand of the OEM design work (pre market build), they design for the very best they can do & then minimize ALL the spec's for a bottom basic class vehicle with the top of the line having ALL the goodys including suspensions/engine/ gearbox/ chassis mods all working as intended.
Final build price DOES have a huge bearing on what the final release models are to the public.
On a build run of 100,000 vehicles, 1 cent on a specific component can add up to several thousand dollars over the lifetime of model.

mrfxit, Sep 1, 8:38am
Burger, . starting to sound like Jazz

None of this means diddly squat to BR modders