Estima 2005

kiwienglish, Aug 31, 12:39am
How many kms/litre would you expect to get from an estima 2005.!

hopie, Aug 31, 12:41am
wearing work boots or bare feet

gadgit3, Aug 31, 12:42am
2.4L open road 6-7L/100km. 3.0L open road 10.5-12L/100km

kiwienglish, Aug 31, 12:45am
So a bit better than my estima 1993 then!

gadgit3, Aug 31, 12:47am
Oh hell yes lol

thejazzpianoma, Aug 31, 2:37am
The thing is though, who uses these vehicles on the open road exclusively. (not having a go just saying).

Its the mixed, primarily town running that these usually get used for and that's where they get into the juice.

Try more like 11l/100km on average over a tank for typical running from the 2.4. They are not an economical car.

If you want an economical people mover, go for a Touran in either Petrol or Diesel or a Fiat Multipla. The Diesel Touran will still leave the Estima behind for grunt(as will the Petrol 2.0 Touran and Multipla) but your running costs are significantly less.

Petrol Touran will average around 7.5l/100km in conditions where the Estima does 11l/100km. The Diesel Multipla and Touran will cost pretty much half what a 2.4 Estima costs to run when you factor in RUC etc. I can't give you a first hand comparison to the 3.0 Estima sorry but obviously its only going to be worse. For what its worth I have no trouble burning off a 3.0 Estima in the Multipla or Touran, not sure how they compare on paper.

Before the trolls come along get upset (not meaning gadgit), yes the Touran is a bit smaller and the Multipla only has 6 Seats. But you may not need the size of the Estima and both the Touran and Multipla utilise the space they have inside far better.

andy61, Aug 31, 2:39am
Jazz-did you not read the title! they didnt ask about other cars !

thejazzpianoma, Aug 31, 2:43am
Quick lets flap our arms around because someone gave some comparisons and suggested more economical alternatives!

Best be increasing censorship before word gets out that the precious Toyota isn't actually very economical.

LMAO!

countrypete, Aug 31, 2:46am
Hijacking others' threads and rabbitting on about something else entirely is called "trolling".

kiwienglish, Aug 31, 2:51am
To be honest I was pretty impressed that someone came in and gave me a couple of alternatives!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 31, 2:55am
Thanks, this forum is populated by a lot of cheesy Japanese import dealer types who just get really upset when anyone dares to suggest European alternatives. I am a real target because I don't get scared away and suggest other options on a regular basis. I am glad you can see through the nonsense.

BTW, if you get a chance to drive either the Touran or the Multipla please do. I think you will be blown away with how nice they are to drive and how much more you get for your money.

Happy shopping!

kiwienglish, Aug 31, 2:57am
Will do jazz, and thank you!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 31, 3:01am
You are more than welcome. Feel free to come back and hit me up for advice on finding a good one if you decide to go ahead with either. I know the Touran and the Multipla really well (I still have one myself).

I will step back now and let others have a turn.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on.

Oh, and just to give you a heads up. What usually happens now is the usual suspects come along with made up stories about the either or both being unreliable or parts being expensive or whatever else they can think of. I won't bother rebutting their nonsense because it will ruin your thread. But if you want me to address these concerns feel free to ask.

gadgit3, Aug 31, 3:05am
No diesel option for the 05 Estima Jazz. Shes a 2.4L petrol engine. We run one here and lend it to Rescue 1 (tv program) I can get it down to 5L/100km on a Paeroa to Auckland trip and it is used around town a fair bit too but then Paeroa is not that big lol but I don't think the fuel bills are that bad from it round town as well. There not like the old lay down and get reamed 2.4L petrol engine thats for sure and alot better then the old 3C-TE diesel

thejazzpianoma, Aug 31, 3:21am
Yes, I know there is no diesel option for the newer Estima (that's why I switched to comparing cost not economy when I compared the Diesel Touran etc) . Its a pity because a good common rail diesel is the go for that sort of larger heavier machine. I am fairly familiar with the 2.4 (but not the larger one).

I agree they are good on the open road and even that free flowing small town flat sort of running. (although I have never seen anything like5l/100km but if you say so!)

Start hacking them around though and the physics of the older technology engine/transmission and the weight start to show.

gadgit3, Aug 31, 3:33am
Yea I can be very frugle on the go pedal when I want and very used to it as I drive a Hiace powered by a 4.0L V8 and go juice is not cheap these days haha. But it is also why I gave the 6-7L/100km as no normal person drives this way lol. The 3.0L v6 is thirsty round town and I can get alot better from my Hiace when compairing.

mugenb20b, Aug 31, 5:48am
Those "alternatives" may be cheaper to run but will cost more in the long run to keep on the road. European cars are not known to have good electrics for example, and you'll just keep having to repair small fiddly things all the time. Besides, Estima is a larger vehicle than the Touran or the Multipla, and its 2.4 litre engine is chain driven. It will also retain its value better.

asa50, Aug 31, 6:48am
The Estima will drink more juice, its a heavier wagon. Expect 8km/l around town, 12km/ combined.
Do you need to carry luggage as well as people, this is what crossed the Touran off the list for me.
I have run both European and Japanese gear, neither has stood out as being more/less reliable.
Whatever you choose make sure you have someone who is familiar with the servicing the gear as this can make a massive difference to the ownership experience.
How long will you keep it for, depreciation is a factor that can count against the Euro cars (ironicially VW had the highest resale values where I lived in Europe )

thejazzpianoma, Aug 31, 9:34am
The Touran of about 2005 is actually at the sweet spot for depreciation. You are correct they depreciate heavily initially so are not a good buy new. However from around 6 years old they hold their value for quite a while.

The 2004 Touran prices already havn't really moved at all in the last 2 years, I think they will hold for a while yet and then ease down fairly gently.

Good point about the value in the U.K, they are a hidden gem in NZ, there is so much silly anti Euro car nonsense used to sell used Japanese imports in this country that great cars like the Touran are grossly under valued.

There is a bit more to the economy than the weight too, although I agree the weight and frontal area is part of it. The Touran has the super efficient FSI Petrol engines or Common rail diesels which are then coupled to the very efficient 6 speed DSG transmission. It has other fuel saving features like electric power steering too. That's a lot of why they have so much more get up and go than the Estima as well.

If you want luggage and people and only need 6 seats the Multipla is a good alternative. It still has plenty of luggage space even with 6 adults on board. Its individually removable seats are great too, you can take 5 people and their bikes for example without having to take the bikes apart.

kiwienglish, Sep 1, 5:14am
Next question - I really want a vehicle with split rear seats - which estimas have them!