Mondeo. chain or cambelt?

tomodew, Aug 30, 9:31pm
i just bought a 2000 lx model with high kms, tried googling but got very mixed forum answers. can anyone tell me if this car has a cambelt or is chain driven! thanks

m16d, Aug 30, 9:45pm
Have a look under the bonnet. If its belt there'll be a plastic cover over it. If not it'll be chain.

bellky, Aug 30, 9:55pm
Quick Google looks like cambelt.

phillip.weston, Aug 30, 11:15pm
2000 would be last of the MkIIs with the Zetec engine, which is cam-belt.

floscey, Aug 30, 11:26pm
should be belt . Some of the mondeos have zetec on the boot and a duratech engine.

phillip.weston, Aug 31, 12:15am
That's the MkIII onwards - Zetec shifted from being the name of an engine series to a spec level. You wont find a MkII (ie what this 2000 model is) with a Duratec engine, and you wont find any mention of Zetec on the car other than on the engine cover.

carclan, Aug 31, 12:55am
Chain on ours as I renewed the rocker cover gasket a few months back.

unbeatabull, Aug 31, 7:23am
Really depends on the engine your's is. Plastic rocker cover is generally a sign its cambelt - however some had steel rocker covers as well and also a belt.

Generally, if the actual front covers are plastic itll be a belt, if the front covers are steel/alloy then it will be chain.

franc123, Aug 31, 7:36am
All pre 2001 4 cyl ones were belt, it wasn't until the mk3 that they went back to chains. AFAIK the V6 versions were all chain. The belt change interval was increased to 120k from 90 as a running change in either 1998 or 99 when the revised black rocker cover engines came out.

carclan, Aug 31, 7:53am
Mine plastic rocker cover an is chain drive Mklll

phillip.weston, Aug 31, 8:16am
cool story. we are talking about a 2000 year model here, which is a belt. whether yours has a chain or not is irrelevant.

carclan, Aug 31, 8:52am
Thanks for your advice, I will not post anymore comments.

tomodew, Sep 5, 9:20am
thanks guys. engine is a zetec. thats all i know by looking at it. i did try googling but it was very mixed answers. thansk

phillip.weston, Sep 5, 10:17am
zetec engine = belt.