Rental Car "Damage"

bigmacnfries, Aug 29, 3:35am
Just came back from Rarotonga and while we were there, hired a 15 seater Minivan, the condition of such wasnt great.
While driving away from the Airport and winding down the window, the window winder handle fell off, I noticed a piece was already broken off it, but stuck it back on and carried on.
A couple of days later the winder completely broke.
I advised them when I returned the van and they said nothing about it.
I now see a $95 charge on my Visa Card which is for a new handle.
Do you think this is fair, I see it as wear and tear, it certainly was not broken by misuse.

kazbanz, Aug 29, 3:42am
OP -flip that back -or put the shoe on the other foot.
You rented the vehicle and to the best of their knowledge the winder was fine. You return the car and the winder is broken.
You diddn't call in with the par broken winder to show there was old damage. (on Raro thats not exactly hard work)
You sighned a form accepting responsibility for all damage.

Incidently Ihad a similar situation and took the car straight back to the rental place. They grinned. We fixed the broken part and I wasn't charged

bigmacnfries, Aug 29, 3:45am
Kazbanz, yes I probably should have in hindsight, just thought I'd stick it back on and not worry about it. Will not make that mistake again.

sw20, Aug 29, 6:27am
Try renting motorbikes in Thailand. On the day you go to return them one of their mechanics goes to your accommodation and removes something from the bike, you take the bike back and they say you have lost stuff off it and are keeping your bond! Cheeky buggers.

grangies, Aug 29, 7:00am
Sounds like their "super-glue" repair snapped, and now you have been charged $95 for another super-glue repair.

What part of the window winder handle actually broke!.

How long was the time frame between you returning the vehicle and then being charged for the repair on your VISA card!

jonthefisho, Aug 29, 8:13am
What rental co was it.

c.knox, Aug 29, 8:19am
Sounds like a previous renter's "super-glue repair" gave out, and you weren't crafty enough.

bigmacnfries, Aug 29, 8:14pm
The winder broke in 2, I think it was getting old and brittle.
We had the van for 8 days, it broke on the 2nd day.

bigmacnfries, Aug 29, 8:14pm
Avis

kamitchell, Aug 29, 9:53pm
When you rent a car you check everything and report everything as it happens.
They are quick to charge your CC for anything they can.
Rented a car in Aussie start of the year and 3 months after returning get a AU$50 charge. Called them up and found was for processing a traffic fine.(seems fine was still to follow) Pressed for more details and got the exact time it was for and then time car was returned. Well seems it happened 1 hour after returning the car the fine was incurred. Needless to say we got our refund straight away.

kcc55a, Aug 30, 9:15am
Anyway you can dispute the Credit Card charge.Go see your bank.

tigra, Aug 30, 9:18am
I love the fuel scam. They fill the car up until the gauge shows full.but its usually not. When you take it back they ask (or look) at how full the gauge shows. Say half full and tell you thats 30 litres cos its got a 60 litre tank. Not many cars have tanks that big.