Phil.western, quick question about mitsi timing

morrisman1, Aug 28, 11:00am
Ive just done a cambelt and tensioners on a 2000 model L200 with the 4g63 engine. Has the hydraulic tensioner. Post cambelt the engine has more power but sounds rougher.

All of the timing marks are as per the book. The cambelt pulley at 12 o'clock, oil pump at about 10 o'clock and balancer at 9 o'clock. Ignition timing set at 5°BTDC.

Any idea what could be causing this issue! Its much worse above 4500 rpm.

phillip.weston, Aug 28, 11:04am
oil pump driven balance shaft definitely in phase! did you remove the bung from the side of a block and insert a 6mm dia approx 150-200mm long philips head screwdriver through to check orientation of balance shaft weight! otherwise it could have been the cambelt set too tight or maybe too loose! did you tension the belt to the correct torque setting on the tensioner bearing, then spinning the motor 2 rotations and let sit for 30-60 mins before releasing the pin from the auto tensioner!

Also sure it's a 4G63 2000cc! A 2000 model should be the Triton L200 and should have the 4G64 2400cc 16V engine.

morrisman1, Aug 28, 11:11am
OK, so these phases you talk of, do they affect both the balance shaft and the oil pump! Can you please detail the step of getting the correct phase for each as that is most likely the issue.

I didn't let the engine sit for 30 mins before releasing the pin, what affect could that have! The belt tension feels good still.

It is a triton, 2wd, but still has L200 on the side.

snoopy221, Aug 28, 11:18am
Balance shaft has a weight and can be timed in 2 positions.(phases)
One correct and one 180 out.
Timing marks are NO indicator there
TIP- if correct as phill says the bung can be removed and a bolt will fit through over the weight incorrect and the weight will stop the bolt or screwdriver from going in.

TIP-(2)
If timed correctly the weight will cause the timing gear to **fall** back towards the mark-if incorrect the weight will cause the gear to fall away from the mark.
slight twist of gear and ya know-K

morrisman1, Aug 28, 11:22am
ah, so Ive probably got it 180° out. If I rotate it one complete turn to the next time the arrow lines up will that bring it back into correct phase!

With the oil pump, does that have the same issue there or is it just as long as the mark lines up!

snoopy221, Aug 28, 11:27am
Read tip 2. when ya doin it it'll make sense.
And yeah oil pump can have a balance shaft-some of em run 2 balance shafts-juss ta con fuss tick ate ya.

morrisman1, Aug 28, 11:32am
So why cant mitsubishi make an engine that is naturally balanced lol. Its not a damn 3 cylinder jobbie.

morrisman1, Aug 29, 12:38am
Ive found this: http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/GR00002700-11A.pdf

Are these the instructions to follow! It mentions phases on the oil pump but says the balance shaft off the small belt is just a matter of lining up the arrows

phillip.weston, Aug 29, 2:16am
I don't think you understand balance shafts at all. It's not to balance out any imbalance of a Mitsubishi engine, it's to counter the inherent harmonic frequencies ALL four cylinder engines have. Porsche, Toyota, Honda and I'm sure others have licenced the same balance shaft technology from Mitsubishi for use on their own engines. With the balance shafts, the engine is much smoother.

morrisman1, Aug 29, 4:19am
got it done now, oil pump was 360° out. I checked it with both bung and screwdriver method and the way that it falls to verify the correct alignment. Its good as gold now. Thanks for the pointers there phil and snoopy

ceebee2, Aug 29, 5:43am
Yep.11A-35 is what you did not do.

snoopy221, Aug 29, 8:19am
I checked it with both bung and screwdriver method and the way that it falls to verify the correct alignment

Tip#2 re falling-is a damn sight easier thang bung removal on em.

{Told ya it'd make sense when ya doin it-lol]

morrisman1, Aug 29, 8:23am
Yea snoop, I wanted to do both methods to be 100% sure! Wasn't going to mess it up again!

mugenb20b, Aug 29, 9:06am
So.what happened with the hydraulic tensioner! Did you reset it or did you buy another one!

cowlover, Aug 29, 9:08am
How can anything be 360 degrees out!360 puts it back in exactly the same place.

snoopy221, Aug 29, 9:11am
ha ha ha.lol
180 degrees out at HALF engine rotation speed=camshaft speed=360 out-lol

morrisman1, Aug 29, 9:16am
Hydro tensioner was squeezed back in the vice as per the mitsi instructions. Very slowly because I dont know what their interpretation of slowly was haha

cowlover, Aug 29, 9:19am
I know what you saying snoop but from memory oil pump and crank gear are same size so 1:1 ratio

snoopy221, Aug 29, 9:25am
Puts thinking cap on.
In the words of Billy Joel.
You MAY Be RIGHT.
I May Be Crazy.
But It Just May Be.
A Lunatic Your'e Looking for.
Yeah they are small gears-and direct drive if memory serves me right.
Good Spotting.lol