How long would it take to do ford falcon work.

Page 1 / 2
farnortherner, Aug 23, 5:16am
on ford falcon ef stationwagon.I am needing a mechanic to put it in and wanting to know an estimate of how long this would take to do.for New Belt and new Radiator to be installed.Thanks.

unbeatabull, Aug 23, 5:25am
Drivebelt! No more then 2 hours, if he was to drain and flush the engine cooling system, reseal the hoses, recheck the system, top up the Trans (assume its an Auto - transcooler is built into the radiator) etc.

farnortherner, Aug 23, 5:32am
Hi Yes one Big Belt.and has to take off old radiator do the drivebelt and put on the radiator and hoses again. It is automatic.

farnortherner, Aug 23, 5:32am
but with new radiator

thunderbolt, Aug 23, 5:33am
The rad does not have to come out to replace the drive belt or tensioner.

But you have just added you want a new rad fitted, so ignore that

farnortherner, Aug 23, 5:35am
Im no mechanic, Ive only done oil changes, new sparkplugs on the ford and new spark leads.Im a female but will give anything a try myself so just wanted to know how long for taking off and putting new belt and new radiator on my ford falcon ef.

farnortherner, Aug 23, 5:36am
so 2 hrs maximum time with new radiator as well!

farnortherner, Aug 23, 5:42am
ngaww yeah hell 2 hrs thats a rip off, I will do myself only looks like a 40 minute job, thanks anyway.But yeah will just do myself.

NZTools, Aug 23, 5:46am
You may be able to do it in 40 minutes and save yourselffew bucks, but are you saving anything if you don't bleed it properly and cook the engine!

farnortherner, Aug 23, 5:51am
ngaww wow bleeding the radiator do you mean! ngaww

intrade, Aug 23, 5:54am
bleeding the air out of the cooling system , dont forget you need coolant not plain water .

tshop, Aug 23, 5:58am
Job should be a snatch to do, use a good anti freeze (greenstuff) soon after if you can, it extends the life of cooling system & your engine which is a good one.

farnortherner, Aug 23, 6:05am
Thanks Im just on the ford mods page reading up about bleeding the cooling system. And I will get me some coolant anti freeze greenstuff.Now how do you bleed the air out of the cooling system! I better read up and find a link to this.

unbeatabull, Aug 23, 6:10am
You will have to top up the Trans as well. Will lose a good 1/2 L of fluid at least out of the transcooler.

tshop, Aug 23, 6:13am
Dont worry about it, just drop the water & start taking off the hoses & Rad, when your done just fill it to the brim, warm up the engine & it will circulate thro, then top up again. If you want put the hose thro to flush out the whole thing

unbeatabull, Aug 23, 6:17am
It is relatively straight forward on them tbh, as he said, they have a header tank so as long as you just keep an eye on that and keep coolant in there you should be fine. Run engine up with heater on hot till temp gauge comes up and heater blows hot air, you may need to apply revs/quick drive to get it bleed up fully.

farnortherner, Aug 23, 6:17am
Thanks Tshop :) Will do that.

tshop, Aug 23, 6:18am
thanks for reminding me unbeatable,yeah you'll have to undo the trans lines from the Rad, (if car is Auto)plug them off, so fluid doesn't drip everywhere.

farnortherner, Aug 23, 6:19am
Do you mean in that plastic container where you fill the water is that the header tank! Gees I dont know this mechanics wording.

tshop, Aug 23, 6:21am
Just free the rad' up, ie take the hoses off it so you can get it out.

unbeatabull, Aug 23, 6:22am
Yes, header tank is the Plastic container by the R/F Strut Tower.

Yup, plug off the lines. There will be around .5 of a L in the Trans cooler which is part of the radiator so you will lose that much regardless. I hope the new radiator you have is an Auto one and has a transcooler in it!

tshop, Aug 23, 6:24am
Give me a call if you can Cus'

whqqsh, Aug 23, 6:29am
just done similar on my AU, very easy & quick, I did water pump, tensioner pully bearings & alternator (which went to auto sparky etc) while in there, but still wasnt that much
BTW 3/8 drive ratchet into the tensioner pivot to release load while taking belt off & putting on

farnortherner, Aug 23, 6:30am
havent ordered the radiator yet, as have to ask questions and that on the auction but will ask about a transcooler and if its for an automatic, well will make sure its one of those ones before I buy.

farnortherner, Aug 23, 6:32am
K I have that drive rachet to the tensioner in my head since last week when told, thanks. and its automatic tensioner! does it itself!