Car problem - Help please!

3huds, Aug 24, 7:42am
My car started cutting out while driving (last 2 days) and having trouble getting it started. It turns over but doesn't do anything then eventually goes. Can't get in to my mechanic until mon/tues and i don't know what to do until then! Could it be the battery or a loose conection!Car is honda oydessy. Anyone had this happen to them before. I know nothing about cars!

sterid01, Aug 24, 7:49am
could be lots of things , bad or water in fuel , electrical , more details maybe

intrade, Aug 24, 7:50am
if it turns over and wont do anything. then its not the battery or the starter motor. could be loads of things loos connection faulty fuelpump inside tank when you have had no fuel in tank some damage after 20 secounds of no fuel for example. it costs loads more to fix a fuelpump . not running it dry is far cheaper.

3huds, Aug 24, 7:58am
Ok thanks, i keep a full tank -grr hope it isn't that.

sterid01, Aug 24, 8:07am
What basics do you know , maybe check the wires and check spark plugs , air filter , fuel filter

intrade, Aug 24, 8:14am
you dont have to keep the tank full just dont run it dry

3huds, Aug 24, 8:15am
I know nothing! Too girly.

sterid01, Aug 24, 8:18am
You're screwed then , go out with skimpy clothes and find a mechanic , in the morning after breakfast it will be fixed .

franc123, Aug 24, 8:19am
What year Oddity! There were some late 90's models that were shockers for ignition switches failing, it gives the symptoms you describe. Probably best to talk to an auto sparky or see Honda about it.

3huds, Aug 24, 8:23am
It's a 99.Yip think that's going to be my best bet sterid01!

3huds, Aug 24, 8:32am
Thanks franc123! Have been on google and it seems very similar to whats happening - thanks again.

msigg, Aug 24, 8:41am
Yea we had a crv that did this, it was the ignition switch in our case. What I found if I fiddled a bit with the key I could make the ingnition lights go off which meant the key was off, and motor stops. if i held the key with a little tension everything was alright. went to the wreakers and bought a new( not made by Honda) loom and it also had the switch connections on the back. Was a bit fiddly puting it back on, It has been fine now for 4 years. this is an easy fix if that is your problem, but hey it might not have anything to do with it. Good luck.