Can someone explain "pod filter"?

reserge1, Aug 16, 6:50pm
A car listing includes "pod filter" in list of features.I have no idea what this is.Have googled but still unsure.

Does it make a noise!

If someone could explain, in lady driver terms, that would be awesome!

intrade, Aug 16, 7:16pm
it makes the engine more noisy and it makes it less powerfull , unless its got a special heatsheald built round the pod filter. I used a pod filter on my compressor as that is all they are good for.

llortmt, Aug 16, 7:17pm
That made it perfectly clear to her, I'm sure Intrade!

gadgit3, Aug 16, 8:21pm
It is a air filter for the engine. When one is fitted the factory air filter box is normaly removed. There is no real advantage of running one it's just a "boy racer" term used to make a car sound like it has had money spent on engine mods.

kazbanz, Aug 16, 8:45pm
In simple terms its a modification that does NOTHING except look "good"
If you are a non mechanical type person I would tend to run away fast as soon as pod filters or "adjusties" or big bore exhaust is mentioned.
Usually this is a strong indication that someone with a small amount of mechanical knowledge has played around with the car.-usually to its detriment.

No reflection on the guys who craft still air boxes,adjust cam angles fit decent matching exhausts etc.

reserge1, Aug 18, 11:34pm
Thanks for the replies.Can they be removed!And an "air filter box" put back in!

bellky, Aug 18, 11:35pm
Of course.

kazbanz, Aug 18, 11:42pm
Yes they can. The cost of doing so depends on how good or bad a job has been done installing the pod filter.
Depending on the make/model will decide the cost.

turton, Aug 18, 11:52pm
whats wrong with adjusties! if done properly they improve the cars handling alot. Pod filters dont really do anything unless you have a cold air intake to go with it.

kazbanz, Aug 19, 12:16am
Adjustable suspension correctly set up for that particualar car and that set of driving conditions I agree can improve handling.
My point was in reference to the mindset of the people who strum on about the car being "lowered on adjusties" fitted with a big bore ,pod filter etc.
As a general rule the car has been mucked around with by people who don't actually know what they are doing.
I know I'm generalising which is always a bad thing but in my experience good cars are rendered unusable or a lot less useable than out of the factory.

sw20, Aug 19, 1:01am
They make the car sound cool, and are worth the performance decrease.

<3 my TVIS vtec sound.

nzemale, Aug 20, 11:02am
I see and hear a lot of people quoting about a 'cold air intake'. Well believe it or not, most every manufacturer these days has their induction system of the 'cold air' type.
Boy racers who think a pod filter will net them wheel spinning power are somewhat deluded. They just suck hot air from the engine and radiator, and we all know hot air going into the engine reduces the engines power. Thats why car manufacturers have a 'cold air intake' usually fed from behind a headlight or similar so the car actually 'gets cold air' not warm air from a silly pod filter in the engine compartment.The replies above are true - they are more a 'romance' item in the boy-racer fraternity.
Dont forget though, that a chrome gearshift knob gives you 1/2 a second quicker gear changes and another 100 horsepower :))

ontwowheels, Aug 20, 12:13pm
I know of many mates that have fitted POD filters in years gone by, esp when younger and we were playing around with Familias, commodores, rx7's etc.
But I dont think any of us ever fitted one just hanging out in the engine bay sucking hot air, they were always in a custom built box with larger than standard intake ( a lot of cars used to have very restricted intakes) or they were st inside the standard box.
Is that how they are being done now, just a pod filter hanging out in the engine bay!

kcc55a, Aug 21, 4:48am
kazbanz wrote:
In simple terms its a modification that does NOTHING except look "good"
quote]

Reminds me of those chromed twin exhaust outlets you fitted on the end of your tailpipe many years ago.

taipan4, Aug 21, 6:06am
otherenhancements from days of old to makeyour car go faster "fluffy dice"
on the rear vision mirror, "squashed sparrow"transfers on the front guards,
big bore exhaust extensions, 1 into 2 exhaust ext, 40 thou of the dipstick,

matarautrader, Aug 21, 6:15am
Dont forget the 10 foot aerials with all the little flags on either!. And a nodding dog on the back parcel shelf was real cool too!

alimac1, Aug 21, 6:29am
Louvres on the back window

pnh4, Aug 21, 6:32am
An market filter wont do as gooda' job as an original. Smaller dust particles such as gravel road dust, enters the engine decreasing its life.