Passat EPC lamp on not firing.

ceebee2, Aug 19, 11:55pm
Hi guys. Have a friends car (2000 2.0L Turbo Passat) that will crank but not fire. EPC lamp is on after the others extinguish. Possibly a red herring. I have determined that there is spark but no fuel pressure (tank is half full), can anyone or Jazz throw some checks to perform. All fuses that I can access are ok. Cannot seem to locate the fuel pump relay.

mugenb20b, Aug 20, 12:11am
Is there power to the pump!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 20, 12:32am
Is this a 2000 1.8T or a later model 2.0T! (There is no 2000 2.0T as far as I am aware)

Personally I would just connect a scanner at this point but not sure what access you have to one if any.

Otherwise I would continue with manually checking the fuel system, listening for the pump, looking for voltage at the pump fuse (this is the easy way to check the relay) etc. Pump relay is most likely near the fuse box but we really need some more model info or I am just shooting in the dark.

If you post what the car actually is I might be able to be more specific.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 20, 1:05am
I have to go out for the afternoon. Just a shot in the dark but I think the fuel pump fuse may be number 35 on the older Passat's.
Have a google though and you will likely be able to confirm this. Best of luck.

hopie, Aug 20, 1:12am
And this is why it is hard to find a decent machanic now-a-days. to much relying on a scan tool.back to basics pal. can you hear the pump prime! have you taken the hose that goes to the fuel rail off and see if petrol is getting there. good place to start.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 20, 1:27am
Not relying on the scan tool at all, it just makes sense if you have one. There is no point in mucking about in the dark if there is a shortcut straight to the problem.

You also don't necessarily want to be diving in prematurely as if it is a 2.0T its a late model direct injection engine so quite a different kettle of fish.

00quattro00, Aug 20, 1:35am
Fuel pump relay is above the pedals, if its the immo it will run for 2 secs then shut down

ceebee2, Aug 20, 7:53am
Apologies for late reply, thanx to all for great suggestions.narrowed it to the fuel pump faulty. Had power to it but loathe to pay $720.00 for genuine replacement unless 100% sure. All good now. Yes it is a 2000 2.0L turbo Passat. Customer happy that it is mobile again.