2004 Holden Rodeo Diesel Turbo?

roadtripper, Aug 13, 1:36am
Hey all,

I'm looking at buying a 2003-2005 Rodeo, LT or LX double cab with the 3L diesel turbo, manual.

I can see the visual differences in the LT and LX but was wanting to know what these vehicles are like as I would like to keep it for about 5 years before moving on.

What are the common problems with them!

Dont see too many with 300kms+, do they survive that long!

Its main purpose would be to carry the miss and toddler around on roadtrips on most weekends.Towing a small 14ft boat and basically carrying aroung basic tools, ladder and all my signwriting gear for vehicle wraps.

Any help would be choice! Thanks in advance.
Jay

morrisman1, Aug 13, 1:42am
they do like to do the runaway diesel trick and blow themselves up

berg, Aug 13, 4:17am
Very much depends on the engine. Stay away from the 4JX1 3ltr diesel and you will be fine as that's the problem child. Good all round workhorse

shorebee, Aug 13, 4:20am
bro in law brought one at 270k auto which was rebuilt. 2005 double cab. goes great and was 12k. i see a few sonata deisels on here done 250-300ks going 5-10 grand so diesels must ive forever maintained well.

jmma, Aug 13, 4:28am
Can you say that again (o:

aliru, Aug 13, 5:44am
mines a great ute . done 275000 and going strong. would be one of the more economical utes out there .plenty of go and tow being a 3.0. just keep up the servicing .this is my 2ndrodeo and ill soon be replacing it with my third .( i do a few kms)

mugenb20b, Aug 13, 6:14am
The Rodeo never had a 4JX1.

mugenb20b, Aug 13, 6:17am
Pretty bulletproof vehicles. The odd one can have a faulty turbo or a blocked catalytic converter. There's a few that come to our garage that have done 300k, no problems at all. The only downside is they are noisy thanks to its direct injection diesel.

treachug, Aug 13, 6:29am
wrong model.thats the Bighorn & Wizard 4JX1 with leaky injector syndrome you are meaning. The RA series Rodeo has a 4JH1

treachug, Aug 13, 6:31am
Agreed.if you buy one, just keep up the servicing etc & it will be a reliable ute.

mram, Aug 13, 6:47am
It will probably be the 4JH1TC engine(non common-rail) Noisy, but bulletproof and pretty good on diesel too, good for towing

morrisman1, Aug 13, 6:50am
ah apologies, I know my cousin's one did runaway diesel but I just remembered that it was because the garage overfilled the oil when it was serviced. I had forgotten that detail until now and assumed it was the hand grenade isuzu engine.

berg, Aug 13, 7:31am
Yep, very aware of this as I worked for Isuzu for many years. Mearly commenting about poster #2s issue

mugenb20b, Aug 13, 7:52am
My apologies.

berg, Aug 13, 8:01am
No worries. Unfortunately even Isuzu managed to make a problem child with the 4JX1 engine found mostly in Bighorns and Wizards here in NZ. Have seen a few fail but have also seen a few with the factory repairs made last quite good kms as the base engine components are sound. I personally had a 2.8 dbl cab Rodeo and a 3ltr 4x4 Rodeo and they were both bloody good trucks.

roadtripper, Aug 13, 11:07pm
Thanks to everyone!

Services and usual maintenance are a religious thing so should have no problem there.

Saw a 2003 LT with 270kms and a 2004 LX with 170kms both for $14990, both 3 litre diesel turbo manual double cabs.Im not too worried on K's on most makes but i just never saw any higher K'd Rodeos and was worried abot having a short future with it.

Might actually be worth going for now.

Thank you very much again!