89 toyota 4.2 diesel turbo interference engine?

get-real, Dec 31, 3:42am
has new cam belt but knocks and smokes, is it redeemable and feasable to fix

dent, Dec 31, 3:44am
has it only started knocking and smoking since cambelt got replaced!

falcon15, Dec 31, 3:44am
yes most diesels would be interference

get-real, Dec 31, 3:51am
Yes they musta got timing wrong

llortmt, Dec 31, 4:01am
Depends how wrong they got the timing really, if the pump was just out a bit that would cause smoking and diesel knock. But yes it will be a interference engine all Toyota diesels are.

llortmt, Dec 31, 4:03am
Scrub that (or most of it) this is a landcruiser engine with belt driving the cam off pump and pump gear driven off the crank right!. How does one muck one of those up! (never mind)
Take the belt off and put it back on correctly and see if it still smokes and knocks I guess.

dent, Dec 31, 4:07am
yeah thats what id be trying problem is I think the injector pumps are gear driven then camshaft is belt driven from the pump. So if you have the pump out you have the cam out. Gues just fit the belt correctly and try it. As long as you put the belt on correctly this time you cant do any more damage.

get-real, Dec 31, 4:08am
Im wondering wether to take a risk and buy it!

get-real, Dec 31, 4:36am
So if it is running but knocking and smoking, can it have bent valves ,etc

splinter67, Dec 31, 4:40am
Not unless its really cheap you could be up for a complete rebuild or replacement engine

a.woodrow, Dec 31, 4:42am
Sounds more like injector pump timing than bent valves, I wouldn't buy one like that but surely it's not a big ask to get the timing checked by whoever put it on before you commit to buying!

get-real, Dec 31, 4:46am
Like its about 400ks away

get-real, Dec 31, 4:47am
Would it still run with bent valves

a.woodrow, Dec 31, 4:55am
Maybe. are you willing to take the risk! big $$ for another motor or reco

msigg, Dec 31, 5:35am
Well with bent valves it may not run, diesel need compression so , unless its running on 3 cylinders or so.