Mondeo 2.0l Diesel Turbo?

dmagon, Jan 12, 7:15pm
The wife is interested in a late model Mondeo diesel turbo station wagon. I don't really know a lot about these. We have driven one and they are a nice car to drive and seem to be very economical. Is there anything mechanically we should be aware of or look out for? Also would the petrol be a better option mechanically?

intrade, Jan 12, 11:05pm
ok first of all what year. secoundly this country is full of people who dont service there cars as the wof is there car service.
and any diesel dont like not to be serviced , expensive damage happens on any of them the newer it is the more expensive the damage repairs.
So a full flawless service history would be a must in any case and knowing the last owner used a diesel fuel additive in there diesel would also be of greate benefit. Beacuse if they did not use a additive then you wont know how much damage the fuelinjection system has already suffered.
So without knowing exactly what engine i cant tell you much
also overdue roaduser charges get passed on to new owner in case you are not awear of this.

thunderbolt, Jan 13, 2:45am
A large percentage of the TD Mondeo wagons out there will be ex Reps cars that have most likely been driven fairly hard but are usually well serviced as the Reps don't have to pay for it.

gv_51, Jan 13, 2:59am
I drive one as a company car (2012 TD) and it is a very good car. Well spec'd, comfortable and very economical. I wouldn't worry too much about a second hand one having been a reps car. Big mileage and frequent use probably better for a diesel than low mileage pottering around town.

dmagon, Jan 13, 5:09am
2010 with just under 100,000k's on the clock. Has a good service history, but do not know if a fuel additive has been used. General condition of car is very good. Thanks.

rovercitroen, Jan 13, 5:19am
They are a cam belt engine I think but quite a long change interval.

intrade, Jan 13, 5:55am
ok you will need to drive this constantly for long trips as it will have a dpf diesel particular filter. the filter needs to be burned off at least once a week meaning constant speed for 50 minutes in one go without shutting it down. If you are not capable to do this then dont even think of buying it, because the problems resulting from short trip driving will be emense.
Yes probably no one told anyone but any diesel of any make with a dpf needs to do this some toyota where programmed to burn off the dpf every 100km. this has been changed with what they tell the customers a flash upgrade, but i think the customers need to know the truth about there vehicle and no you wont likely notice when its doing a dpf burn off .
if you dont do this the dpf blocked warning light will iluminate and then the service technition has to do a forced regeneration if its not to late to do so. also turbos melt down from blocked dpf systems engines get destroyed because the engine oil is full of diesel from faild attempts of passive regenerations , its a huge nightmare if you where to buy it for short trips driving.

youngones2, Jan 13, 6:56am
Agreed intrade. I have a 2011 model and use an additive since new. No problem at all with engine. I do 15km motorway trip each way for work for last 2 years and also longer Trips bi-monthly and haven't noticed Dpf regen but presume it does it as no problems. I get easily 1000km/tank and have customers that have got 1200km.

dmagon, Jan 13, 7:11am
Thanks intrade, our everyday use of the vehicle would more than likely be detrimental to the vehicle and wouldn't suit our situation. Glad I asked the question. Thanks.

bigsteve10, Jan 13, 7:27am
I have a 2010 mondeo turbo diesel and love it. I drive it half an hour to and from work each day and easily get over 1000k per tank. I bought mine ex lease from the auctions with 117,000 on the clock. Good all round cheap car, think the best I've owned.

plonker7, Jan 28, 1:13am
I have a 2011 Mondeo Titanium with the TD engine. It is a superb vehicle and replaced a previous Mondeo which was written off in an accident (that my family walked away from) It is very economical (up to 1000km) on a long trip, 800km per tank around town. The engine is very good, and you only really notice its diesel when outside the car. It has a lot of torque I would recommend that you get them serviced properly and regularly. Cant be faulted
I will buy the new model when it comes out later this year (I think)