Calling hawkes bay people re commodore lead

bullfarmer2, Sep 8, 4:52am
I was wanting to check on my VT commodore's sparkplugs today and pulled one off and broke the bit that sits on the sparkplug off. Judging by the lead they all need replacing but what i am wanting to ask, does anyone in the hawkesbay area have 1 lead for the 1st cylinder( short lead) that i could buy off them to get my car going till next pay day in 2 weeks. I will replace all the leads but cant afford the 100 odd dollars till payday. It is a 1999 commodore 3.8 v6.

bullfarmer2, Sep 8, 4:54am
I know i will get in trouble for this thread but i am needing it

mugenb20b, Sep 8, 4:55am
Park up the Commy and use that V8 beast that you are selling until your pay day.

bullfarmer2, Sep 8, 4:57am
that is my father inlaws, but good thought though

therafter1, Sep 8, 5:02am
Any lead that will fit should do the job in the interim.

The commodore specific leads include a heat shield at the plug end to protect the lead head from long term exposure to excessive heat from the manifolds.

40wav, Sep 8, 6:09am
I have an old set off a VS here and would send you one if you can let me know your addy somehow!

40wav, Sep 8, 6:12am
But yeah, any lead will do. Go to a wrecker and see if they'll sell you one, or a garage and see if they will give you an old one.

scoobeey, Sep 8, 6:21am
start an auction:)

bullfarmer2, Sep 8, 6:25am
tried all the scrap yards today, but none were open. I cant find time next week to head into town next week either but will be needing the car tomorrow grrr.

40wav, Sep 8, 6:34am
A question for others then - Would it cause any damage if the OP were to drive running on 5 for a couple of days!

evotime, Sep 8, 6:53am
yes bore wash(could disconnect injector), a buggered spark plug and possible damage the coil pack.
definately not worth trying

40wav, Sep 8, 6:56am
Bugger

OP, when mine did the very same thing I electrical taped the lead back together and ran it like that (no misfire) for a day till I could get into town to buy new leads. Maybe try that!

40wav, Sep 8, 6:57am
Also, thanks for the info. Good to know.

evotime, Sep 8, 6:57am
push and twist next time they will all be stuck on the s/plugs

NZTools, Sep 8, 7:01am
Go to your local repco or supercheap or the likes, and buy a generic hei led. it doesnt have to have the big heatsheild on it. It should cost no more than about 10 bucks to keep you going.

bullfarmer2, Sep 8, 7:03am
cheers for that, i have the heat sheild from the old lead. Is it the same as a lead as far as connections! Just tried to search for it but i cant find it on google or repco website, could you put up a link please

40wav, Sep 8, 7:05am
Take the old lead with you so you get the same type (can buy leads with all sorts of ends to suit). If no luck, check my auction. There will be no charge or postage, we've all been there.

bullfarmer2, Sep 8, 7:11am
thank you soo much, you are a life saver :)

spudfarmer, Sep 8, 7:24am
how did you get on mate iv 1 here you can use im in hawkes bay

40wav, Sep 8, 9:44pm
bullfarmer2, I'll get that posted tomorrow. I dont want anything for it or postage. I'm sure we've all been in a bit of a tricky spot at some stage, and if we cant help each other out a bit then there's something bloody wrong.