Diesel import

Page 1 / 2
mike877, Sep 7, 3:36am
Hi, im looking at importing a toyota hiace 2008 with a 3lt diesel engine type 1KD-FTV , Will it pass the emissions standards ! i was told no diesels can be imported.thanks.

andy61, Sep 7, 3:46am
Find out the emission code on the Hiace,then go to LTSA website and check on their list of emission code that are able to be imported.You can bring in diesels but need to have the correct emission code.

intrade, Sep 7, 3:51am
euro 4 now , you can import it no problem but if its not euro4 then it is parts or scrap metal

muzzaandmich, Sep 7, 5:46am
A few years back I brought a. Toyota diesel thought I was doing the right thing had the motor and trans flushed and serviced ,,,,,Nxt minute leaks everywhere cost me a fortune to fix better off just to keepoil andtrans topped up .

mugenb20b, Sep 7, 6:39am
Why don't you just buy one locally! And, if buying a late model Hiace, get a petrol one.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 7:01am
Hiace's have had their day. The newer ones are dangerous, out dated, over priced, require far too much maintenance and have one of the worst reputations for reliability.

Even Toyota themselves have admitted they simply can't compete and have stopped production for most markets. The Hiace will now be a re-badged Fiat/CItroen in most of the world.

Just a few small markets (like us) will be getting one version only of the old Hiace for a limited time.

My advice is, buy a VW, Mercedes or Fiat. They are the popular van's worldwide and require far less maintenance, use less fuel, are more reliable and much safer.

There are still a few knuckle draggers who refuse to come to grips with reality and make a song and dance telling you otherwise. But the facts and figures are there for any one to grab a calculator and see.

mugenb20b, Sep 7, 7:06am
I wasn't aware of that.a bizzare move by Toyota imo. I would imagine that the Japanese giant would be right up to date with European diesels in this day and age.

therafter1, Sep 7, 7:11am
Bang on . me no unnnnerstand !

Next thing you know they will say, "cos it's cheaper, even with shipping and agents fee's and compliance and first time rego blah blah blah".

So once again . why !

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 7:27am
Goodness no.

Basically we get a really warped view of the world because we base our entire used car industry around Japanese imports.

When it comes to modern Diesels the Japanese are really struggling and their reputation, especially for commercial van versions is quite poor in some country's.

The trouble is when the common rail diesel revolution came along in the late 90's Japan had just changed emission regulations which would basically took all diesel cars off Japans roads from then until now.

To make matters worse Japanese recession came along right when the European competitors were pouring eye watering amounts in to research and development of the new diesels.

Worse again the pricing structure of diesel in Europe meant more people were buying diesel cars than petrol ones and that has remained right through and is still the case. So of course the Europeans knew the investment was worth while because it was their staple product.

So yes, in short Japan have had the perfect storm running against them for diesel development. They are starting to improve a little but overall they are rushed, under funded and under experienced.

Some makers like Suzuki realised this problem early on and opted just to partner up and use European manufacturers engines. Fiats Diesels for example are in lots of cars like the Suzuki range including Swift, SX4 etc. This was a better move.

Toyota spread themselves too thin trying to do their own thing and for the Hiace at least, they have realised too late.

They will catch up in time and are already making progress but in general that's how it is.

Of course its amazing how long you can trade on reputation especially if you are an isolated market with almost no comparative brands circulating. That's why we still have the tail end of an out dated viewpoint in this country. Times are rapidly changing though as even here we have reached a tipping point and people are waking up quickly.

Don't get me wrong, the Hiace was the bee's knees 20 years ago. But its day has well and truely been and gone.

ptda, Sep 7, 8:18am
Strange that Japan banned all Euro diesels many many years ago from being imported to Japan due to them failing the strict Japan Emission standards set out by the Japanese Government for New Cars. Toyota Diesels passed the strict standards set, sadly still today no euro diesel meets Japan emission standards. So makes me think the Japanese Toyota People are doing something right as the Hiace & Prado Diesels are pass quality to the most strictemission controls in the world. Every Vehicle is extensively tested every 2 years for the emissions to see if they car remain on the road and the vehicles we had the most trouble with keeping on the road were Euro's when I was in Japan, They kept failing the test at the vehicle test centre and it was a mission at times to get the exhaust fumes clean enough to pass the test. So excuse me if I am not quite Pro-Euro.

kazbanz, Sep 7, 8:18am
mike--give me the full engine code.

scoobeey, Sep 7, 8:56am
weve heard this dribble MANY times before .:(

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 9:01am
LOL, stranger still then that about the only passenger cars you can buy with a Diesel engine in Japan today are. BMW and Mercedes.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 7, 9:02am
Yip, and sadly for the scoobeey's of the world that as much they wish it wasn't. it's still true.

clark20, Sep 7, 10:10am
Jazz, why spend their money on dying technology, diesels are big polluters as even Diesel Euro 5 has more % pollution than petrol Euro 3, even the euros state it won't pass future emissions in years to come.

outbidyou2, Sep 7, 10:17am
For gods sake shut up. Most of your posts seem relevant. I read your first paragraph and that was enough. Better sentence structure my friend. next time perhaps without so much biase, will see your point across a little better.

scoobeey, Sep 7, 11:27am
then why are most courier drivers driving hiaces! would have anything to do with long proven RELIABILY no surely not!

cowlover, Sep 7, 11:45am
Cause they are mostly knuckledragging dim bulbs who havent worked out that there is no money to be made in the courier business and they bouth the van from the last fool wo went broke.Have another look there are now a lot of things other than Hiace being used by Couriers.Jus for those that actually take note of what people say rather than just say its all rubish cause it is different to their warped thinking I know of a van driver who just upgraded year wise and had to buy a Petrol as couldn't get a diesel in the year/model etc.Operating costs now up by 30% with the petrol van.

r15, Sep 7, 12:15pm
I bought an 06 diesel hiace with kms in the 300s,never caused anyone trouble and was quite a nice van to drive.Sold it as I needed a 4wd.Id have another any day if I needed a van.

The petrol is shit in my opinion, lacks power at low revs and quite thirsty

ptda, Sep 8, 4:58am
Better check your facts I think. Japan doesn't have Diesel BMW's or Mercedes , NZ and Europe and many other western countries have them in Diesels, Japan only has the Petrol Versions, THIS IS FACT and NOT FICTION LIKE YOU SEEM TO BE SPILLING OUT WITH.

bwg11, Sep 8, 5:17am
An it appears not very successfully. To quote the latest "Top Gear" test of the diesel Swift, "So why opt for the diesel over a GLX or LTD petrol! There is Road User Charges to factor in too. And the fact the Italian sourced diesel they are using in this model is gruff and shouty, even at idle".

thejazzpianoma, Sep 8, 5:59am
LOL,
Sadly being angry and shouty doesn't turn anything you say into the truth.
I stand by what I said, BMW and Mercedes are some of the very few diesel passenger cars you can buy in Japan today.

I don't know much about the specifics of what BMW offer but Mercedes were about the only ones to keep offering Diesel cars in Japan throughout the last decade. They have even continued with a new model to meet the latest round of emissions standards and from what I gather BMW has joined them since then too.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 8, 6:06am
LOL, not very successful!
Its about the most universally used and successful little Diesel on the planet right now.
If your knowledge didn't end with what you read in Top Gear you would realise that. Its fitted to all manner of vehicles, as far as I am aware we are talking production of into the millions a year.

We have a car with one in it. Yes sure, its a bit rattly when you are outside the car but its fine inside. Its not supposed to be an ultra refined engine, its all about mega economy (ours does 3.7l/100km on the open road) , cheap to build, minimum maintenance, compact size and reliability.

It achieves those goals very well. 30'000km oil change interval yet only about 3l of oil in the sump. The design breif was no significant maintenance until 250'000km. I think its wise to do a timing chain before that which is cheap and easy (similar to cambelt kit money) but other than that they are pretty bullet proof. There are bigger Fiat Diesels for refinement and performance.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 8, 6:45am
LOL, its always the same.

I have a theory.

You notice that the sort of person who chooses not to do a quick google, to avoid embarrassment before attacking other peoples posts as lies, is also the same sort of person who dosn't notice that the Hiace just dosn't come close to measuring up anymore!

They apparently don't need to check or re-evaluate anything because nothing ever changes and Toyota is always best.

ptda, Sep 9, 5:36am
Sadly being angry and shouty doesn't turn anything you say into the truth.
I stand by what I said, BMW and Mercedes are some of the very few diesel passenger cars you can buy in Japan today.

The Last Euro Diesel to ever be imported and sold NEW in Japan was in 1987 and none have ever been imported into Japan since then. I know this for a fact as I lived and worked in the Car Industry in Japan from 1999 until 2009. That is 10 Years in the car industry in Japan and my Knowledge is as first hand as you could get it. Prove to me that a Diesel has been imported New into Japan since 1993 and I will happily apologise, But sadly you can not prove it as I am 100% sure of my facts.
I got so many requests from clients for Euro Diesel Vehicles when I was working as a car exporter in Japan for 10 years and I had to put them right on every occassion telling them that Euro Diesel Vehicles did not exist in Japan and could not be sourced in Japan for export. I would not have told people that fact and thrown away business if they were there in Japan now would I ! Please go away and check your facts as you are 100% incorrect.