Diesel import

Page 2 / 2
ptda, Sep 9, 5:44am
I did not quite make my statement above clear enough to what I was wanting to sate. Should have been 1987 Last Imported New and Last Vehicle sold in 1993, As 1993 was when the very last 1987 Year imported euro diesel vehicle in Japan left the last dealers show room floor. Just showed how diesel euro must have been very unpopular with Japanese aswell to have the last vehicle in stock for 6 years after the expire date before it got sold off.LOL

thejazzpianoma, Sep 9, 9:39am
ptda,

Here is a link regarding the new BMW and Mercedes Diesels which are the offering to meet the lastest (2010) emission standard changes.

http://www.thedieseldriver.com/2011/12/bmw-mercedes-to-offer-diesels-in-japan/

Now there was also a previous E Class Diesel available in Japan in the mid 2000's. That one is going to be harder to find a link for because its old news. But watch this space and I will have a search as I get the time.

BTW, I actually sympathise with your position. While they were there, they were not popular. However your argument is that they don't meet the standards and well to be there at all clearly they did.

Pop back in a day or so and I will see if I can find the a link confirming the older ones.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 9, 9:54am
Done.
This is the other car I was thinking of, as mentioned the only passenger car diesel sold in Japan. Note the date.
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2006/08/mercedes-benz_brings_a_diesel_to_japan.html

ptda, Sep 10, 3:42am
O.K, I do stand slightly corrected by the looks, But also appears there was a very very very low number of cars introduced and therefore maybe so few it would be a needle in a haystack.

Note that the 2006 E-Class must have had a short life span in Japan for them to impose an all out Diesel Ban in 2007 and therefore probably so few sales that we did not actually see any around in all the 47 auctions that we dealt with.
Below are some direct quotes from those links you put here and it shows BMW has never sold a Diesel in japan and neither has Audi.
Most Japanese Manufacturers actually steer away from diesels too as they are put into the " Too Hard Basket " by the looks.
It clearly states the diesel market really dried up by the Year 2000 and a few have been still trying hard to get a diesel accepted in Japan.
Very Hard thing to do as Japanese mind set changed in the late 90's towards Diesel dramatically and I know this because I was there from that time on until late 2009.

See Quotes from your links below:::::::
Sales of new diesel-powered automobiles in the Japanese market stopped completely in 2007 and no new diesel models had been introduced since the beginning of that decade.

At its stand in the West Wing of the Tokyo Big Sight convention center, a white X5 xDrive 35d with right-hand drive and the words ???BMW BluePerformance??? prominently placed on the doors made its premiere. The X5 is the first BMW diesel ever to be sold in Japan.
The X5 xDrive35d will go on sale in 2012. Pricing was not announced.
Both Toyota and Honda sell diesels in Europe but are reluctant to sell them in their home market.Toyota has 45% of the new car market in Japan.Earlier this week,it was announced that BMW will start to sell Toyota Motor Europe 1.6- and 2.0-liter diesel engines starting in 2014. The engines are to be installed in Toyota vehicles slated for sale in Europe.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 5:33am
The low sales and poor Japanese attitude to Diesels is a given. That wasn't the point.

The point was you came along in post eleven which started:

"Strange that Japan banned all Euro diesels many many years ago from being imported to Japan due to them failing the strict Japan Emission standards set out by the Japanese Government for New Cars."

The whole premise of your argument was the grossly incorrect assumption that European Diesels could not meet Japanese emission standards and therefore Japanese Diesels were better.

The argument was nothing at all to do with popularity. To bring up popularity now is weird as that is the real reason why almost no diesels are sold in Japan. (Well that and they hung on to high sulpher diesel for a long time which was incompatible with most modern low emissions diesels).

Even weirder you are quoting a link about BMW providing Toyota with their diesels engines which is my point exactly. Toyota realise they are not in the running with their diesel technology, that's why they are now moving towards the more sensible option of buying European Diesel engines for their cars.

That's also part of why they have given up on the Hiace, they know its Diesel is not up to snuff and the rest of the van is grossly out of date. They have admitted they just can't compete in that sort of market so now choose to re-badge the much better European vans.

So really I just don't follow you any more (not that I really did to start). Anyhow, your own quote (The BMW one) supports what I was saying so I will just assume you must have some understanding of the situation now.

ptda, Sep 11, 6:52am
In 2007 Tokyo Japan Banned all Diesel Vehicles from it's city and word was that all cities in Japan would quickly follow suit, And that is a fact. However since then things may have changed in their thinking but fact remains that Diesels are still banned from Tokyo today and only those that were previously registered before the ban and have complied with the clean diesel rules are allowed to drive there, Eventually they will have all diesels off the roads in Tokyo in time and probably will get that to go throughout japan eventually.

ptda, Sep 11, 6:58am
I never said that BMW are supplying Toyota with Engines, I stated that in your link it said that BMW has never had a Diesel in Japan and still don't.
Fact is, Euro did fail japan emission tests many years ago and were banned, Since 2006 it appears they have been able to pass the test but are not popular enough in Japan to get a foot in the door anyway. So in Reality there still is NO Euro Diesels in Japan and that is Fact.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 7:29am
LMAO!
You are hilarious.
llllllllllllllllllllllllll here are some more straws for you in case you have run out.

ptda, Sep 11, 10:31am
You keep those straws just in case you need them to hold those fiats together.