Ford Focus vs Mazda 3

cglau, Sep 7, 5:54am
We are wanting a newish car (2008 or newer) that can tow a trailer, but is as economical as possible.
What are your ideas on economy, servicing, and reliability for a Focus vs a Mazda 3!
Thanks

mugenb20b, Sep 7, 6:11am
What size trailer! Otherwise, both cars are good. I don't like the late model Focus because its centre console takes up a fair bit of legroom.

cglau, Sep 7, 6:25am
the trailer is a domestic one but quite big and heavy - built by an engineer!

fordcrzy, Sep 7, 7:12am
i wouldnt recomend a manual focus for towing. the dual mass flywheel and clutch arent up to the job.(and the fly by wire throttle is AWFUL for trying to get going its either stall or tyre smoke and clutch slip) once you get the clutch too hot ONCE then its all over and it will continue to slip for ever after

cglau, Sep 7, 7:16am
eek, thanks!

craig04, Sep 7, 7:43am
I've had a Mazda 3 new from 2010. I've done 63,000km's in it and it's done nothing wrong yet. The economy over that time is averaging 8.9 litres per 100km's (mostly around Auckland driving). I can't say I'd want to tow anything heavy with it though.

craigsmith, Sep 7, 7:50am
Neither is really appropriate for towing a heavy trailer. Go up a size and look at a Mondeo or Mazda 6 / Atenza.

wheelmann, Sep 7, 8:01am
How often will you be towing!

ceebee2, Sep 7, 8:49pm
Mazda3 hands down.no contest.

kazbanz, Sep 7, 8:51pm
cglau--both are good cars but neither car I would recoomend to tow a big trailer

therafter1, Sep 7, 8:55pm
I'm biased because I own one lol

I wouldn't put a towbar on it tho !

ceebee2, Sep 7, 10:56pm
Hey steady one I am trying to find a second hand one to fit to mine!

therafter1, Sep 7, 11:15pm
There quite probably isn't a problem having a towbar on a Mazda 3 or Focus. They will tow light trailers with light loads now and again without a problem. Heavy is a whole different matter. Heavy vehicles tow heavy trailers with heavy loads. So if the purpose of the towbar is to tow a light 6x4 tlr now and then with a bit of garden debris etc to the tip or whatever then there isn't a problem. Big loads being hauled big distances would be the problem.

I personally will not buy a vehicle with a towbar (or evidence that a tow bar has been fitted at some stage) unless I know the history of the vehicle and its owner, otherwise you have no idea whatsoever what that vehicle has been subjected to in the way of towed loads.

I have seen mid sized vehicles (i.e. 2 litre-ish cars) towing dual axle caravans and monster boats and so on !

As part of my job I do breakdown recovery. I have had late model large capacities Holden's and Falcon's call with overheat problems in high summer when they have been towing large boats, caravans, tandems with cars on them etc. The only way around the problem is to drop the load and carry on and either come back to uplift the trailed load with a more suitable vehicle or wait until the heat goes out of the day and have another go. That may solve the initial overheating due to excessive load problem, but lawd only knows what other stresses and strains the vehicle is being subjected to from vehicle structure, suspension, brakes, transmission, engine thru to lawd knows what.

likit, Sep 8, 12:22am
I won't buy a car unless it has a towbar or I'll put one on just to protect my rearend.Have only owned Valiants,Falcons & Holdens & never had a problem with overheating or transmission problems

wheelmann, Sep 8, 1:20am
So instead of just replacing your rear bumper you have to have your chassis straightened as well because your tow bar has been pushed in!

lazzo, Sep 8, 2:09am
Your Ford Focus and Mazda 3 will both tow your trailer easily with no hassle at all. If you tow a trailer 2% of the time, why let it influence your buying decision by more than 2%! My advice is buy a vehicle which suits you, your family and your lifestyle, unless it's a bloody big boat or caravan you have nothing to worry about.

cglau, Sep 8, 4:53am
Thanks a lot everyone!We don't have a caravan or boat.