Need to find a new place to service my car

konst, Sep 5, 9:14pm
For a few years I've been going to a mechanic close to work to get my cars serviced. Recently the shop changed ownership, and the new mechanics' business is going well, but I no longer trust them for various reasons. Their service prices seem to have sky rocketed, I asked for a basic service and I was charged $250. And this is without them having to actually replace anything apart from the oil.

There is another, more reliable, mechanic close to work, but he doesn't do WOFs or services, only repairs. He's an older guy working alone.

So I need to find a new place for servicing my cars that's not going to cost me an arm and a leg. Problem is I work Monday to Friday and so do most mechanics. I'm thinking of picking one of the bigger chains close to home that works on Saturdays, such as AA or Pitstop, but I don't have much experience with them so I need some advice.

My two cars are really not worth a lot, so I dont want to splash out $250 per car every half year on a service. But they're in good condition and I do want to maintain them.

What do you guys do if you don't want to take time off work and there are no suitable mechanics close to work! Are these big chains reliable!

hopie, Sep 5, 9:46pm
do it in the weekend.

kazbanz, Sep 5, 10:29pm
OP Im sorry to mock but ROTFLMAO. If you feel you got ripped off by the "new guys" waittill you try going to the AA or Midas.

ceebee2, Sep 5, 10:53pm
+1 Totally agree.

Best suggestion is to shop around and ask for estimates of particular services to give yourself an idea of costs. Unfortunately your previous Technician was "looking after you" and external costs have increased. Before you book in for future services go into the workshop and ask for a written quote for that service and simply ask them to call you should the price exceed a reasonable amount prior to continuing with the work. Get this in writing as it will be a life saver later if you are not satisfied.
I always call my customers to convey any extra work outside the service they asked for and always make it crystal clear as to exactly what work I will undertake and associated costs. Just saying "service my car" can be a very expensive surprise.
I would safely say that most disputes arise due to lack of communication between Client ad Garage.

NZTools, Sep 6, 12:40am
How little he was charging you for a basic service might be a big clue as to why your previous mechanic sold up. He was going broke because he wasn't charging his customers enough

konst, Sep 6, 12:53am
Sounds like a good idea.

The previous guy also used to have a checklist of the things that he actually did.I'll try to ask the new guys to tell me what they include for the $200+ fee.

mopsy3, Sep 6, 1:15am
Surely you got an invoice when you paid!

konst, Sep 6, 1:29am
Wasn't a very detailed one. It just said: "standard service"

poppajn, Sep 6, 1:33am
Oil Changer,s.
I,ve got 2 friend,s with BMW,s, one went to the agent,s for a service $540, the other to Oil Changer,s, same job, $154.
Now I,ll wait to duck the bullet,s.

saxman99, Sep 6, 2:37am
Depends a bit on what actually went on at said servicing, and what model BMW.I've got two, (I do the oil changes myself).One costs around $45, the other costs around $90 for oil/filter change.Takes about 15-20 mins.$540 sounds like a lot, what else was done!

kazbanz, Sep 6, 2:59am
I apologise for laughing earlier but I have seen some of the rip off's that SOMEbranches of the franchises charge.
I MUST add that some Midas owner operators are straight up/honest guys. Um AA Ive pretty universally are happy to gouge
I think you need to get a bit of an education regarding the broad word "service"
Bear with me for a bit please.
Just say that every workshop charges exactly the same hourly rate and
takes exactly the same time to do any job. (they don't by the way)
You will STILL find that theres a variation in price from $125 to $1000 for a "service"
This is because there is no clear definition of that word. "service"
SOOOO--
What you need to find out is exactly what each company actually does to the car at every "service"
A basic 'service" nowaday can bedefined as change the oil and filter
Or perhaps its change oil/filter and spark plugs.
From there you go all the way up to an end to end of the car service -brakes,checked adjusted,gearbox oil changed,plugs a multitude of adjustments etc.

I STRONGLYsuspect your old mechanic was in fact only changing the oil and filter -and the plugs/air filter when needed.
Nothing wrong with that every 6 months.

So if all you really need/want is oil and filter changed I bet the "new" guys arent too much deaer than your old mechanic.

poppajn, Sep 6, 9:23pm
Both job,s synthetic oil, filter, check tran,s and diff, and reset speedo timer thingy.

bmc460, Sep 6, 9:50pm
went to oil changes oyher day with saab and they done oil and filter ,check coolant,powesteering oil,trans oil and tyre pressure.had to top up powersteering oil and it only cost 77 dollers.

poppajn, Sep 6, 11:07pm
Yes, I,m pleased with them too bmc460, they,re $64 cheaper yhan where I used to go and the service is great.

therafter1, Sep 7, 12:28am
Which creates a question regarding the quality of the oil and filter used.

You usually get what you pay for !

therafter1, Sep 7, 12:41am
Service on 05 Lancer (manual) yesterday, change engine oil and filter, check and top all fluids including window wash, check coolant level and condition, check accessory belt tension and condition, check and top battery cell levels, check battery terminal security, check and clean air filter, check disc pad wear, inflate tyres to recommended pressure, check disc pad wear. One hour total (includes time spent generating invoice), 3.6 litres penrite 10/40 oil, Ryco Z411 filter, total cost $126.50 including GST.

kazbanz, Sep 7, 12:42am
Sorry to sound negative but I roughly speaking change the oil in 25 cars a month. Despite some peoples saying that oil is oil I disagree totally.
You notice a big difference in how a car engine sounds and performs if you put cheap oil in it

therafter1, Sep 7, 12:53am
Found that out the hard way on my 1200 Bandit Kaz. I was a stickler for Castrol Grand Prix, usual supplier dropped Castrol and went to Motul, I was iffy about changing but was assured that it was the best thing since sliced bread, so instead of dicking around trying to find my preferred lube I went with the Motul, carried out change, motor instantly sounded completely different and was mechanically noisier, went for one ride and increased mechanical noise was very noticeable. Whether it was all my imagination or not I do not know, but the Motul was dumped immediately and the Grand Prix I had sourced went in, and everyone has lived happily ever after to date.

By the way, the Motul WAS NOT cheap, it was more expensive than the Grand Prix.

therafter1, Sep 7, 12:57am
Going way back, had an 81 Sigma, never used to use oil between changes. Got a job at a Mobil servo and free lubes was part of my remuneration. My first lube come due and I had always used Mobil Super, the boss (who I assumed knew what he was talking about) said, no no no no no, Mobil Super is too good for those engines, you only need to use Mobil standard 20/50 . from that change onwards that motor required regular top ups between changes even after going back to Mobil Super.

kazbanz, Sep 7, 1:22am
FRunny you should mention THAT brand.
Back in the 250 proddy days you always had only so much HP to play with (ignoring the cheats)
Any way to legally gain a bit of HP was always a bonus.
I read the blurb from Motul that their 2t oil was good for a few HP extra
YEA RIGHT I thought.
Then I got a sponsor deal with Motul oil.
Swapped from Castrol oil in the cases and the 2t oil.
Next meeting I was a full 1.5 seconds faster than I'd ever gone before

bmc460, Sep 7, 1:49am
i told them to put the best oil in not cheap stuff as its got a turbo so hope they did but never had any engine trouble yet over the years.

therafter1, Sep 7, 3:18am
At the end of the day any oil is better than old oil, dirty oil, or no oil . Cheap doesn??

bmc460, Sep 7, 4:03am
I do the tractors and trucks myself tho someone said to try caltex oil in dodge with v8 perkins.The exhaust was blue more than it usually is as they always blow blue smoke anyway and had to keep topping up oil so went back to shell and never burns a drop.

poppajn, Sep 7, 5:56am
In my car, Havoline 10/40 was put in, same as it,s alway,s been on.