1995 NZ new Mitsi Galant 2.0, Interference or not?

franc123, Sep 9, 7:44am
Have got a family member with one of these that has just pinged the cambelt, its the SOHC 16 valve 4G63 engine, I know the old 8 valve ones in the Sigmas, L300s etc were not but not sure about these!TIA

phillip.weston, Sep 9, 9:38am
interference for sure. Only the SOHC 8V engines are non-interference. Should be able to grab a head from one of the millions of Galants or Chariots at pick a part.

franc123, Sep 9, 10:03am
Thanks for that PW, I feared as much, most of these multivalve engines are. Was thinking of buying a full timing kit, balance belt etc for it and going up one weekend to sort it out for the guy (car is 6hrs drive away) but might have to rethink that plan if the head has to come off.As you say might be better to get a 2/h head this end, get it checked and take it up with a new headset. Would hopefully only take what, 8-10hrs! Have done a fair bit of this work before.

phillip.weston, Sep 9, 11:46pm
yeah pretty easy engine to do. I can't remember if that engine uses the auto tensioner unit or not like the DOHC engines, but if it does it's a no-brainer really. Also make sure both balance shafts are in phase. I would remove the head with the inlet manifold still attached, but remove exhaust manifold.

franc123, Sep 10, 12:47am
Yeah thanks, am familiar with the screwdriver through the side of the block trick with the oil pump shaft. Good input as always from you, cheers.

ceebee2, Sep 10, 4:53am
I have had a number of these actually not bend valves.they also have a manual tensioner.

franc123, Sep 10, 5:55am
Hmm, maybe worth taking the rocker cover and rocker gear off first and checking the valve spring heights then. This was definitely the 16V single cam engine!

ceebee2, Sep 11, 4:59am
Apologies here, got mixed up with the non - DOHC engine which that one is so highly likely to bend valves sorry.