Cert question. Is there a set cost for a cert or does it vary between the guy doing it just need to get a basic engine conversio

00quattro00, Sep 9, 11:20am
Is there a set cost for a cert or does it vary between the guy doing it! Just need to get a basic engine conversion certed, replaced the engine in my mk2 golf, was a 1.8 8v 115hp, now has a mk4 gti engine, 1.8 20v turbo 150hp, its a direct bolt in so no mods have been done to the mounts or chassis

zoltec45, Sep 9, 11:31am
You will need to do a brake upgrade for one

00quattro00, Sep 9, 11:36am
Standard brakes are good enough for that power level

rbjz, Sep 9, 12:26pm
cert is $400 +gst. if its all on factory mounts, still 1.8, try just going for a warrant and not mentioning it :)

00quattro00, Sep 9, 1:11pm
I have no problems getting a wof, I want to sell it and it makes it easier if it has a cert

intrade, Sep 9, 7:39pm
ma no cert required they wont even know you fitted another engine unless they find out its got more hp. I done a conversion on my hilux 2.4 turbo to 2.2 nonturbo 67hp same engine mounts always passed a wof no problem. I cant recall if its the same in nz if it is 20% more hp it would need certing. but them finding that out is highly unlikely since you got the same engine

intrade, Sep 9, 7:39pm
ma no cert required they wont even know you fitted another engine unless they find out its got more hp. I done a conversion on my hilux 2.4 turbo to 2.2 nonturbo 67hp same engine mounts always passed a wof no problem. I cant recall if its the same in nz if it is 20% more hp it would need certing. but them finding that out is highly unlikely since you got the same engine the turbo could only get a wofplace questioning things

jason_247, Sep 9, 7:51pm
everyone on here bitches about people trying to sell cars with no certs or blame a lack of cert when some crashes a modified car

Now we actually have someone trying to cert something and everyone is telling him not to bother.

OP i believe every place charges the same, if theres a couple in your vicinity google them and look for recommendations on forums. if not then just go to closest one as you may need to go more than once and can save heaps of fuel if they are nearby.

jason_247, Sep 9, 7:53pm
and for the record he would need a cert for three reasons}
1. has gained more than 20% power
2. Has changed induction type.
3. Has changed family of head design.

hopie, Sep 9, 9:48pm
Cause it needs a cert for the motor. No dont need to upgrade brakes, Yes OP it should be the same set price between certifiers, same as re-check price if needed.

hotrodtodd1, Sep 11, 2:08am
The car will need a cert to get a WOF.

All turbo conversions require a cert - even the factory Chev turbo I fitted to a 6.5 Chev diesel. And the cost was about $450 about 18 months ago.

You MIGHT get it thru a wof without the cert, but theres no guarantee the next guy will and you can be sure that if any purchaser come to grief with the car, that somebody will be knocking on your door.

kehua, Sep 11, 2:35am
Shayne Huxtable
9 Buchanan Street
Bayview
Napier 027 450 9065

sw20, Sep 11, 3:06am
Still got a cat converter! You will need one.

mrfxit, Sep 11, 3:23am
ANYBODY . that pass's that for a wof deserves to lose their wof licence

115hp to 150hp PLUS a turbo . YEeeeeHhaaa cowboys we are a commin .

115 to 125 & still non turbo / same cc. yea probably no worrys even with going from a single cam to a twin cam.

The wording is "same family of engine"which is mostly directed at the engine block/mounts etc
Anything above a measured 20% increase of hp must be certed
What that means is, if the tester suspects the performance is a bit more then nippy compared to others of the exact same model, he can ORDER you to prove it's not over the 20%, & a rolling dyno test is the only reliable way to do that.

mrfxit, Sep 11, 3:24am
LMFAO . Ummm Intrade, you went DOWN in hp, who's going to care about that (& that direction is legal)
Altho they ignored the no turbo)

fordcrzy, Sep 11, 9:35am
Any turbo conversion needs a cert. Full stop.

marblicious, Sep 11, 9:42am
3 full stops!

fordcrzy, Sep 11, 8:06pm
ok then if you insist.

bill-robinson, Sep 11, 8:40pm
forget the rubbish on here and phone a certifier and get REAL answers