Female tyre question

Page 5 / 6
supernova2, Sep 21, 10:30am
That rim sure looks like Austin maxi, but those rims used to bend so surely they wouldn't have factory used them on a horse float! would they!

bellky, Sep 21, 8:43pm
I was thinking the reason they used such high offset wheels is so that the track would be wide (wide as possible really) and so would be more stable.

splinter67, Sep 21, 9:04pm
So OP did you have to get a new rim or where tonys full of it

scuba, Sep 22, 4:38am
or possibly they had acheap supply source.

kaylin, Sep 22, 8:51am
SERIOUSLY full of it!But the plot thickens.I took the rim/tyre to somewhere else, they said there is nothing wrong with it.I went to put it on the float to replace another flat tyre and. IT DOESN'T FIT!Tony's tyre Service have NOT given me back the same tyre and rim i gave them in the first place. And I know this because i have had flat tyres before, and managed to get them fixed.Husband went to put the tyre on the float (yeah i know, he has suddenly appeared out of the woodwork), and then got highly peed off because it is the wrong wheel.

So back to square one i go.At least i have a bit more knowledge now about 114 and 105 etc, and 13 inch and 165.I know I am going to save my pennies and buy 5 14 inch tyres and rims that i can rely on.And in the meanwhile, i will NEVER use Tony's again. I live in Wellington - plenty of other options.With people that hopefully don't try and take me for a ride.

splinter67, Sep 22, 8:56am
Cool as go back to tonys and get your old rim back then you dont need 5 rims just some new tyres good luck unless you want to put mags on it

supernova2, Sep 22, 12:33pm
Didn't think that wheel looked right for a float.If Tony's cant find your correct wheel looks like they will be paying for the replacement so you will get the new wheel for free along with a tyre.If it wasnt so sad you would be laughing.

supernova2, Sep 22, 12:34pm
But in fact the track is not as wide as if a nil offset wheel had been used.In this case the offset of the (now incorrect) wheel would have brought the wheels inwards so narrowed the track.

bellky, Sep 22, 8:55pm
An axle using high offset wheels allows maximum axle width between hub mounting faces while keeping wheels inboard.

splinter67, Sep 22, 9:20pm
Stop talking about stuff you know nothing about dud you have been proven wrong

cowlover, Sep 22, 9:38pm
So what!The track of the vehicle is the width from side to side, in theroy you could put a 300mm offset on the wheel but it wont widen the track unless it's an outward offset which those wheels weren't

richynuts, Sep 22, 10:20pm
Could be an honest mistake. I got 2 wheels (1 off my trailer, 1 off wifes car) repaired at tonys tyres, after returning in 3 hours time they were repaired but 1 was different soI had to sort through 20 odd wheels to find mine, anyhow got home only 1 was repaired! I went back and the guy was really apologetic and could not do enough to get it sorted there and then and even rarked up his boys. The guy told me they repair about 80+ tyres a week for free and the guys are under a bit of pressure sometimes, just go back with another rim off your float and the rim you were mistakenly given, your original wheelis probably still sitting there. Stick to the wheels you have it is hard work trying to replace wheels as often things just do not fit quite right as original wheels, especially if your thinking of changing to 14inch,

ema1, Sep 22, 10:44pm
I would agree with you on that one skin. Looks very like BMC -Austin Maxi or even Austin/Morris 1800. Even looks like Rootes Group-Hillman Hunter/ Super Minx as they had a deep offset like that also.
So it's definitely of British origin.
I'd be prepared to wager on further studying, it's a Hillman Super Minx wheel in the pic katelin,
mainly because I did the majority of my motortrade time for 18 years and left the trade 24 years ago, when these models of cars were plentiful.

bellky, Sep 22, 11:34pm
What do you mean so what. So what yourself cowlover.

Why don't you try thinking about stuff instead of boring me.

Wider axle means lower deck height and so easier loading and lower centre of gravity.

splinter67, Sep 22, 11:51pm
Once again you know nothing about this as for thinking thats what you should do

bill-robinson, Sep 23, 12:34am
Belky a quick question for you. Why is there offset on wheels!

splinter67, Sep 23, 12:46am
He might be a while he is looking it up with google pity he dosent understand it while he is reading it

bellky, Sep 23, 1:10am
Can you tell me please!

bill-robinson, Sep 23, 2:42am
you started the wheel offset debate, you tell me! I just want to know why it is there at all, why not just centre them!

elect70, Sep 23, 3:37am
I thought tonys had improved under firestones ownership , but see still afew that need boot up theass. Our local 1 improved100%

bellky, Sep 23, 3:38am
Well without Googleing, when I think about the cars I grew up with it seems the RWD cars are low offset and the FWD cars are high offset. I'd say it's a design issue with FWD cars and their transverse engine needing the extra width high offset wheels give. Of course these days even the RWD cars are high offset wheeled, and I'd say this again is by design to give more room while occupying less space.

splinter67, Sep 23, 3:43am
Thats your best one yet dudI hope you wipe down your keyboard after that youd better use 4 ply toilet paper to wipe that up ROFLMAO

bill-robinson, Sep 23, 6:59am
Well thanks Belky, I now have another reason for wheel offset.

ema1, Sep 23, 7:03am
All this damn bickering sure as hell isn't helping kaylin with her wheel problem is it for gods sake, get over it !

splinter67, Sep 23, 7:21am
The problem has been solved and your not the one that got narked on .