Cam belt replacement on Toyota Camry Cracia 2.2L

Page 1 / 2
intrade, Sep 21, 6:51am
i would not buy a white one they are not galvanised like the golf and will rust out on the roof and windscreen . Apart from that you want to check its not leaking oil. i done one that pisses out of every last seal i kid you not its still leaking somwhere now but not mutch dont know what they done with it all seals where rock hard when i pulled em. on camry 5sfe i think be the same engine as in your link . and was stationwagon for 3 grand manual trans

thejazzpianoma, Sep 21, 7:05am
I would suggest you do the waterpump and seals at the same time, can't tell you a price (someone else can) but I don't remember the kits for these being overly expensive and I would expect around 4 hours labour. So at the cheaper end of timing belt replacements.

However, at the risk of having the usual trolls kick up a fuss for anti Toyota sentiment.

I would expect that to go for absurd money, they are one of NZ's most over rated and over hyped cars. You could get something a lot better and possibly substantially newer for what it will likely go for.

Also, what they say in the advertisement about economy is complete rubbish. They are not an economical car. Lots of Toyota types think so because there are much thirstier cars in Toyota's lineup. However compared to what else is around for the money (non-toyota) they are quite thirsty, especially if you hack them around.

Overall. you could do a lot better.

If you want some ideas, (I assume this is for the niece again) just post your requirements and I would be happy to make some suggestions.

mugenb20b, Sep 21, 7:06am
Never seen a rusty Camry yet (of that model), but I've seen plenty of dead galvanised Fiats and VWs that aren't worth repairing.

a.woodrow, Sep 21, 7:10am
If you bought it, I wouldn't worry about the cambelt replacement. It doesn't need to be done till 150,000km

mugenb20b, Sep 21, 7:10am
No issues with cambelt replacement, but you should replace the oil pump O ring and water pump at the same time. Just get the whole cambelt kit. Rocker cover will need to come off in order to replace the cam seal, not a hard job, but will add extra time. Allow 6 hours labour + parts.

grangies, Sep 21, 7:15am
She's 18 years old. Living and working in Te Anau as a tour guide. So her everyday K's traveled will be minimum, so fuel economy wont be a major issue.

I suggested the Camry to her parents as it's done low K's and are good well built cars, that if driven and looked after properly will stand the test of time.

intrade, Sep 21, 7:16am
in your dreams maybe
Vw have a factory 12 year no rust warranty, so i recon you should stop talking rubbish

thejazzpianoma, Sep 21, 7:19am
Crikey No!

That is completely ignoring the age component!
The car is 13 years old, not only is there a risk the cambelt is on its last legs the waterpump likely is too.

That's just insane suggesting a young woman completely ignore overdue maintenance, sure it probably won't bend valves if it breaks but that won't be very reasuring if she is on the side of the road at night in winter.

Also, waterpump could cause overheating and ruin the engine.

zephyrheaven, Sep 21, 7:19am
At that age I am usually taking the oil pump off for a reseal, sad but all of those carefree reliable miles mean things go hard now & then

grangies, Sep 21, 7:20am

I'm in the car body trade and those Camry's seem to be good regarding any body rust issues. Especially the Japanese assembled Camry "Gracia" model. The Gracia is definitely a cut above the Aussie built .

thejazzpianoma, Sep 21, 7:21am
They do last, but then that's about all they have going for them. I say this having one in the family still BTW. If they went for sensible money I would actually be with you on that, but prices on low km ones are still pretty silly.

Any idea of budget!

Is she going to be travelling up to ski fields and in snow etc!

intrade, Sep 21, 7:24am
explain how you fit the oilpump seal on these its a rubber gasket. I had to use a bit of red goop sealer to hold it in place or it would have fallen off befor i had the oilpump back on, wonder how you do it!

grangies, Sep 21, 7:25am
$6000 MAX.

Not sure about snow driving up to the ski fields. But she's not in the market to be buying a nice snow capable wagon any how.

a.woodrow, Sep 21, 7:28am
Jazz, I would be 100% comfortable leaving the cambelt in till 150k, and at least for another couple of years time wise

thejazzpianoma, Sep 21, 7:28am
I hear what you are saying but would suggest you check in on that, especially being a young driver. My sister lived in Arrowtown for some time and 4WD was a definite advantage even for every day driving.

You could likely get a nice tidy Passat 4WD for under 6K. That's probably the sort of wagon I would drive in that part of the country on that budget.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 21, 7:32am
If my memory serves correct the 5SFE interval is 6 years.
If you are happy sending a young driver in a cold climate out in a car that is past twice over due for a cambelt change. then good for you. But its the last thing I would be doing.

msigg, Sep 21, 7:33am
grangies, yes that is a nice car, with maintenance done will last her forever, those engines and trans are very good, you must make sure the corrosion inhibitor is done for the radiator, n matter what sort of car, most engines pack up because of corrosion issue. They do hold their price, because most people trust them, the car rental companies used them, so thats a good recommendation in anyones books. All the best. Cam belt seals , water pump put $800! at a guess, depends who does the job.

a.woodrow, Sep 21, 7:36am
In 99/00 they changed the service interval to 10 years/150k. It may surprise you to know that they didn't change the cambelt part numbers over the model change. they just established that the cambelts last much longer than 100km. Age replacement is important on some makes and models - astra/vectra spring to immediate mind, but this camry! no, it's good for a few more years yet - cross my heart and hope to die

zephyrheaven, Sep 21, 7:38am
Couple of dabs of master gasket or similar - doesnt hurt

Jazz is on fire & drowning reason again

Its a wonder this forum is still here

thejazzpianoma, Sep 21, 7:38am
Even at a 10 year interval its still 3 years overdue. Anyhow. so long as you are happy. I won't pollute the thread any more.

grangies, Sep 21, 7:38am
Cheers mate.

I'm pretty sure her parents are going to buy it, and I reckon it should be a decent car too.

geoff_m, Sep 21, 7:40am
Intrade, I think you are taking the piss.
We have had the wagon version of the same car for years. Now at 150,000km, been reliable
We did just have to do the vee belts, front brake pads. Did an oil seal and water pump while the mechanic was in there.That is the first moeny we have spent on it (apart from the usual oil/filter service) in 80,000km.
Not a huge amount of power, and the handling is no sportscar, but reliable, any mechanic can fix it as they aer ascommon as dirt, and easy to work on.
Teh factory workshop manuals are online if you look for them, and the cambelt has lots of good videos on Youtube if you want to DIY or estimate hours.
Geoff

a.woodrow, Sep 21, 7:40am
No worries jazz, I'm just saying that the cambelt life is understated on this model, and it isn't urgent to be replaced.

zephyrheaven, Sep 21, 7:41am
Cambelt failure only means stranding so drive it till it pops, one of our loan car's is sitting on 190,000 something & going strong on OE belt in this model - hardly a stressed belt in this configuration

thejazzpianoma, Sep 21, 7:43am
For 6K max budget!
You would have to be very lucky. I have seen ones with higher km's than that go for over 7K.
That's what I am getting at in a nutshell, if they were a $4500 car then I could see the logic but for 7K you can buy a 2005 Audi A3 (2 door one with a bit of patience) which is a million times better car.