Cam belt replacement on Toyota Camry Cracia 2.2L

Page 2 / 2
grangies, Sep 21, 7:45am
Would be great indeed.

Only problem is, with her being under 25yrs old.

6cyl cars and insurance don't mix well.

taipan4, Sep 21, 7:45am
recently sold a 2.2 Camry 183000 km and had cambelt done on it because of going on holiday & waterpump $600.00. 4 years of trouble free motoring,
yes Jazz it might have been boring for some BUT no breakdowns& at 62 yrs old no need to lay rubber

thejazzpianoma, Sep 21, 7:49am
This assumes the others will have breakdowns!

Most modern cars are reliable, its just the Toyota fraternity don't seem to realise that because they are stuck in their little bubble.

The Mother in law's signature class one has broken down while my Italian and German cars have not. Even that one they are considering has a number on the transmission that looks suspiciously like a wreckers stock number.

(unless its something to do with compliance when it cam in from Japan)

I am not saying the Camry is not reliable, it is, definitely one of the more reliable cars out there. But is it really so much better reliability wise than what else you could get for the money that might only be half the age!
Nope.

zephyrheaven, Sep 21, 7:49am
Have you ever hadVWAG with that many km on a hoist jazz!

They remind me of storming castles in the middle ages - boiling oil et al

thejazzpianoma, Sep 21, 7:51am
LOL,
Yip, I tend to put my effort into buying clean maintained examples instead of rushing off to buy something with a magical badge on the front.

No $7000 VW of ours has had any oil leaks under neath.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 21, 7:53am
BTW, grangies, its your thread so tell me to buzz off if I am ruining it too much. Mrs Jazz has a migrane so I am passing the time here, keeping the rest of the house quiet and dark.

intrade, Sep 21, 7:57am
i had my bora on the hoist 110.000miles =176,000km cam belt just been done by owner who sold it to me, and its dry as a bone plus its the only car i ever purchased where the cambelt was done .correctly serviced vw last for ever. Neglect service and you will pay for it later on or who ever buys it will have to pay in the end. european cars dont like it if they dont get there service on shedule.

mugenb20b, Sep 21, 9:45am
I didn't say rusty Fiats and VWs, I said *dead ones*.

ema1, Sep 21, 10:43am
Here, here, I have a 2001 Avalon basically a LWB Camry platform and I am nearly 64 and am not a rubber burner or cornering as fast as you can guru either.
I've had various makes from all around the world Euro's British Australian American and quite a number of Asian makes which includes quite a number of Toyota's, guess what .apart from one I bought as a project I haven't had any breakdown of consequence over the Toyota's I have owned ( totaling 12 by the way and 1.6million kms traveled in Toyota's in total.)
I most certainly vouch for the make, Camry's are a good all rounder car hence the reason there are heaps of them on the road.
Funny thing .the word solid reliability means lots to those who want an everyday car, after all who the heck is worried about superior handling etc etc crap that we keep hearing about.
Ultimately it's the driver that is the WEAK LINK and lots just aren't capable of handling these so called cars with superior handling etc.
Frankly our roads aren't built for it and our drivers lots certainly aren't up to scratch.
If everybody driving had more patience/capability & displayed more courtesy plus placed less importance in point to point times, performance levels etc the better/safer we all would be.
NZ ders psyche to me would seem to be a " Rip Shit & Bust" one and lots tend to have a total disrespect for road laws, speed limits and all other manner of anything to do with driving safety.
I drive trucks for a living and have come to the conclusion a long time ago that heaps of impatient drivers following trucks and pulling stupid passing manuvoures often where it's unsafe to do so eg on bends and brows of hills etc ,.fall into the category of " Aw bugger it's a truck .must get past it at all costs.!"The No Tomorrow Mentality types I refer to them as.
I've been placed in so many "evasive action" scenarios over 25years of driving heavies." another strange thing too BMW's featured in quite a number of them."Bloody Flash Harry's."who think they own the road, another funny thing in the last 18months or so quite a number of them have been booked by the law several kms further on after their mad passing acts and excessive speeds.
I will actually say that I am looking forward to retirement when I don't have to face all these idiots on the road while driving trucks anymore.
It will be a welcome relief believe me, frankly I've had a guts full.
Notice Jazz how I didn't down Euro's directly either.frankly I know better than that, I'm just saying it how I have experienced things over a long (& safe) driving career.so far Toyota's over the years have served me exceptionally well.

gastirling, Sep 21, 11:16am
Listen to this man, he knows what he is talking about.Fit genuine seals, water pump, timing belt, idler & tensioner. Genuine parts are not expensive for these. The replacement interval is 150,000.

incar., Sep 21, 11:19am
fair price would be around $500-700, cam belt, water pump, seals x3, oil pump rubber gasket, tensioner and idler bearings, coolant, also get the mechanic to check the back of the rocker cover if oils sitting on the inlet manifold get them to tighten down the 4 nuts or replace the rocker cover gasket, overall they are greatcars.
Dont listen to the Euro Troll, he baits you then tries to talk you into a Vw, i have thounsands of photos of diagnostic faults, oil leaks, water leaks etc from Vw and Audi cars dont go near them.

incar., Sep 21, 11:32am
good post!

gastirling, Sep 21, 11:36am
Dead right!

kazbanz, Sep 21, 9:44pm
To be safe I would budget $700.That should cover -crank seal,cam seal(s) wpump belt and tensioner. No they aren't known to be difficult or give issues.

incar., Sep 22, 12:22am
i would use genuine parts except for the water pump, toyota branded water pumps can be very expensive, aftermarket proven water pumps from the same factory that makes them for toyota are fine

phillip.weston, Sep 22, 12:35am
At 13 years old I would get that belt replaced regardless. I bet the oil pump o-ring seal will leak before 150,000kms too so would definitely pay to get the lot done at the same time. On the S engines it's a walk in the park and inexpensive.

phillip.weston, Sep 22, 12:37am
Don't forget oil pump housing o-ring, and oil pump shaft seal. It's absolutely vital to replace these as they always leak and then ruin a fresh cam-belt job later on. Only a couple bucks extra and not even 30 mins extra to fit.