Family 4wd

farmerjohns, Sep 19, 8:38am
we are a family of six looking for new vechicle need something that has a boot to take luggage if we go on holiday or a pram, that will tow a 2 tonne boat and trailer out of a boat ramp or horse float with two horses one big problem we have is seating young family which most of them get car sick and two still in car seat two in half boosters at the moment as ugly as it looks the ssangyoug stavic looks like a goer especially the seating in back is nice and open any other suggestions have had a parado and currently have huyndai sante fe both have hardly any boot space

monaro17, Sep 19, 8:39am
Nissan Pathfinder

intrade, Sep 19, 8:42am
ssangyoung are probably no parts available when you need any .

monaro17, Sep 19, 8:45am
Nissan Pathfinder. or Toyota Highlander perhaps

r15, Sep 19, 8:46am
patrol or landcruiser - sounds like you have a big task - you need a big truck

mugenb20b, Sep 19, 8:47am
They are only 5 seaters. Or do you mean the latest ones!

monaro17, Sep 19, 8:48am
Both come in 7. your edit beat me to it. Yes I mean the newer models

mugenb20b, Sep 19, 8:49am
Yeah, sorry, I thought you meant the early ones.

vtecintegra, Sep 19, 9:09am
The Stavic is more of an MPV than a 4WD - no offroad ability whatsoever

farmerjohns, Sep 19, 9:23am
Dnt need off road just needs to pull the boat out of any ramp thats what the 4wd would be for traction mainly

mugenb20b, Sep 19, 9:28am
Can you get a roof rack and a roof box for your Santa Fe!

vtecintegra, Sep 19, 9:31am
You could look at one of the big Japanese market luxury vans (Toyota Alphard, Nissan Elgrand)

They stopped doing diesels in Japan years ago though, and fuel consumption is not going to be great in a two+ tonne 4wd petrol brick

farmerjohns, Sep 19, 10:06am
Already have a roof box for it just find it a total fag especially if its just me with kids with out hubby im short and find it hard getting things up into it

mugenb20b, Sep 19, 10:28am
OK, in that case I could suggest one of these, auction number 495177986, but they are getting old now.

mugenb20b, Sep 19, 10:30am
Or 492569311, they are 7 seaters and have lots of room.

clark20, Sep 19, 10:51am
New Santa Fe is about to be released, maybe the boot is bigger

tazcsv, Sep 20, 12:50am
LandCruiser would be my pick, but no matter what you buy if it has seats in the boot you will have little room for gear in there to. I would think it would have more room than the smaller options that have been mentioned plus it will tow better.
We tow our 3 horse angle float or boat loaded up and the cruiser still drives like there is no load behind it. 4.2td.
Safari is prob much the same.

farmerjohns, Sep 20, 7:56am
what about a mitz chariot have seen some of them in 4wd

greta29, Sep 21, 3:30am
LADA

bellky, Sep 21, 3:46am
Discovery 2 or 3. I like them.

jenny188, Sep 21, 4:16am
Tow a boat, horse float and no rear seats so the kids don't throw up and luggage space. You don't want much do you! Try a Hummer out for size, or even a double decker bus.Even room for the pram and pushchair too.

tazcsv, Sep 21, 4:20am
Hummers are only 4 seaters, Parking might be a problem with a dd bus.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 21, 6:24am
If it were me in your shoes I would look along the lines of the Mercedes Viano. They are actually designed and rated for heavy towing like you are doing and because they use Mercedes commercial running gear (like you would find in an Ambulance) they pull very well and require minimal maintenance. Fuel economy from the diesel (which is what I would get) is fantastic as well.

If you can't find a 4WD one in NZ I think you would find it might be surprisingly easy to get a dealer to import you one from the U.K.

Anyhow, easy enough to drive a 2WD one here and see what you think. Also, depending on where you are launching you may even find that a big rear wheel drive vehicle like this with a decent diff might have enough traction anyway.

The Mercedes should give you the best of everything, economy, space, towing capability, forgiving ride and decent view for the easily car sick, easy parts availability, cheap servicing and reliability. Even the ticket price is very good.

In case you are wondering parts are cheap because its a domesticated version of the Mercedes Vito commercial vehicle. Mercedes parts are surprisingly well priced in NZ anyway and when it comes to commercial stuff its better still. That and you won't need much because these puppy's are designed for huge heavy duty km's with minimal maintenance.