Dealers putting old parts back in

Page 1 / 2
rpvr, Sep 18, 8:19pm
as per the front page article in NZ Herald this morning. Is this a widespread practice! I tend to agree with the dealer who questions why any reputable company would risk their reputation for the sake of the cost of a set of brake pads. But some of the backyard importers may be doing it. I think when buying an import the best approach would be to ask if parts have been replaced and if so, ask for a copy of the invoice.

yogibearz, Sep 18, 8:29pm
Simple. Can i see the old parts please.!

intrade, Sep 18, 8:39pm
na i think it done to first comply as there they mesure brake disk thickness. so they swap back to the old worn one once it is complyed . saves loads of money if you got loads of the same cars for the first seller.

If you buy a import they will tell you no paperwork and dont know what was done but it just complyed . that will be about what you will hear.

3tomany, Sep 18, 8:43pm
that doesnt make sence to me given the labor portion of changing pads would be about the same as the pads themselves so a dealer would save nothing

intrade, Sep 18, 8:47pm
yes they do if they got 10 cars of the same and all need new discs and brakes thats 500$ for 4 new disc and pads and when you are set up to just do car after car it be done in 30 minutes from one car to next. old parts off new parts on off to complycenter and back after it passed whip old parts back on. only works if you can reuse the new parts on next car. 10 times 500 is 5 grand saved for the first seller.

intrade, Sep 18, 8:49pm
its never pads almost any import fails on insufficient thickness of disk. The disk wont get mesured again after at wofs.

bjmh, Sep 18, 8:50pm
i agree with intrade ,rumours have been floating around for years about this type of operation.watch out for those car dealers eh Kaz ha ha.

thunderbolt, Sep 18, 8:55pm
So thats how they afford their 6 bedroom mansions.

intrade, Sep 18, 8:58pm
your in luck they even done the belt some flash places just charge for things and never do a single thing to it.

kazbanz, Sep 18, 9:00pm
I'd like to look each and every one of you guys in the eye and say Ohh nothis never happens. Trouble is I know darn well it does.
Brake pads mehh -yep lets focus on the really cheap stuff and forget about more expensive stuff like shock absorbers,tailights,seatbeltssets of tyres etc.
As long as we have a double standard system when it comes to WOF/compliance it continues.
What isn;t legal for compliance IS still just fine for WOF.
I won't name any names but I had a bill from one compliance centre I used for a VERY short time.I had 2 extra charges on a compliance bill for "reconditioning" rear shock absorbers and front brake pads.
The reconditioning consisted of spraying black paint onto the backing plates of the pads to make them look new and stretching the rear shocks right out then washing the oil build up off of them.
I was furious and had to pay another mechanic to replace the shocks and front pads.
For the record I have NEVER used this practice and Im pretty darn comfortable saying no reputable dealer ever would. Its false economy on so many levels.
But then when theres a $300 margin in the car to start with and you are a backyarder running $1.00 reserve (no comeback) auctions why do you care!

kazbanz, Sep 18, 9:22pm
Guys heres the crux of the issue. Buyers of certain price level cars expect the car to be exactly the same as an "identical" car that is $1000-$1500 more expensive. The buyers just assume that the more expensive car is a "rip off"
They then don't protect themselves by having a PP inspection done on the "cheaper" car,Often because its at auction and they might not win.
Hmm its sitting on snow tyres or worn out tyres.The interior is inch thick in grime. The brake pads are nearly worn out,the shocks are weeping. Its had a boogie repair on the bodywork. But hey its cheaper. Pity being that over the next 6 months its gonna cost what they saved.
and if they did do a PP then sure as eggs they wouldnt buy it and the next person will bid on the $1.00 reserve auction.
Reputable dealers meanwhile get tarred yet again with the same brush as these cowboys

splinter67, Sep 18, 9:24pm
There is a garage in Napier that has been servicing my mums Rvr. It was serviced last week she got a huge bill for it over $500 for parts. The airfilter was replaced funny thing is they only blew out half of the filter. When I questioned them on it I was told you dont know what your talking about. We took it to another garage the report from them makes great reading will share the report and the garages name when the lawyer has finished with them

kazbanz, Sep 19, 12:59am
In fairness there is a time and a place for it.
A freshly imported/uncompliedcar is sold. Customer wants their new car.The car needs a shock absorber/seatbelt/air flow meter etc etc for compliance or to run propperly. The part is 3 days awayso you grab the part from another car in stock. AT HIS POINTyou are just taking a common sense aproach.
What you do from this point I feel tells a reputable dealer from scum.
A reputable dealer will leave the donercar in the service area/out the back/in the garage untill the new parts arrive then fit them to the car.
Scum will just fit the rubbish part to the yard car.

elect70, Sep 19, 3:05am
Never buy a car from a used car sales with a little workshop out the back . all sorts ofdodgy thingsgo on there . . I bought a "hot "mini from 1thought the rough idle was the hot cam , but discovered 2 hi comp pistons & 2old low comp pistons ,dealer of course denied anyknowledge ofsuch

rob_man, Sep 19, 3:30am
Hahahahaha. My post got deleted because I said wanker. What a bunch of girlies.

petermcg, Sep 19, 3:41am
You cant say wanker, its a rule

countrypete, Sep 19, 3:46am
But, but, but. he DID say wanker (oohh I feel so naughty)

rob_man, Sep 19, 3:47am
Wanker is hardly swearing is it! Looks like I'm in someone's sights again.

incar., Sep 19, 3:49am
see it all the time, watch from about 8 mins on, oh and the voice in the back grounds says alot
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=O9I2g4BoNYE

kazbanz, Sep 19, 4:21am
it makes my post quoting you look a bit strange--why not delete the word in question!

kazbanz, Sep 19, 4:27am
hey incar-someone is VERY happy with a little white broom broom. Not mss I want moren retail for my trade

bellky, Sep 19, 4:28am
I wouldn't have thought it was very bad unless you actually called someone that, then it would be abusive and should be removed I reckon.

fordcrzy, Sep 19, 4:29am
a garage in waihi "serviced" my MIL's car and "changed the cambelt". less than 300km the engine "blew up". It turned out that the mechanic had put massey fergussen tractor sparkplugs in it that were about 8-9 heatranges too hot and they melted. Complained to MTA about it and they said take it back to him.YEAH RIGHT! about a month later the cambelt snapped that had supposedly been replaced.
apparently he had done it before more than once.sparkplugs melt so you take it back and he charges you $$$$$$ to "fix your ****ed engine.

bellky, Sep 19, 4:29am
Oh well, I'll be really sorry to see you go friendly_prawn :)

incar., Sep 19, 4:43am
hey mate, haha some clients are just headaches from the start, mine you i have had worst lols