Car dealers vs. private sellers

helen_nz2, Dec 28, 3:40am
I notice a number of car dealers are not stating that they are when selling their cars, not sure if it makes a difference to the buyer. Should we be asking about onroad costs or any other potential costs that you wouldn't normally incur when buying privately. I just thought it odd because I have been pricing a car I would like online can find between $10k - $12k and yet several car yards I went to and enquired have told me now way can I get it that cheap and they were all priced around $14 - $15k .so what am I missing!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 28, 4:06am
Thats not unusual, while there are some very good down to earth dealers others just live in their own little lala land.
Dealers need to put a sizable margin on cars to cover their overheads and feed their families. That's only right and fair, however many seem to try and pretend they operate on no margin.

Also, cars are not as cheap and plentiful out of Japan any more so the consumer is going to wear more of the margin on vehicles.
If a car is 14-15K on a lot you can usually easily find it for around 10K-12K privately. I sometimes even see cars literally twice the money they would be privately on dealer lots. Those are often the "minimum trade" and "cash back" lots so be especially weary of them.

Good on you for bargain hunting, just make sure you do your own math properly and leave money for any servicing that is due. Be very cautious of any "stories" you hear from dealers. I had one the other day sell someone a "6 speed auto" that was actually a CVT (which the buyer didn't want" and of course they neglected to tell him that the car should only be run on BP Ultimate 98.

So yes, its a minefield out there. However there are real bargains to be had if you do your research.

kazbanz, Dec 28, 4:27am
Helen --there is a pretty silly glitch in the TM system--ALL car dealers that advertise through Autobase the adds link to TM and show DEALER on their profile. But if you go direct to TM you diont show up as a dealer.
BUT-yes some backyard "dealers" ndon'twant you to be aware he's a dealer is that he is attempting to avoid the legal responsibilities of a dealer.-ie all the normal consumer protections.
What is the carthat dealers say is 14k that you can buy for 10k!
Are you comparing the same year/make /model!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 28, 4:54am
To give an example. I bought a 2005 Audi A3 FSI Turbo (note the turbo bit) for someone the other day privately for 17K. It was in superb condition, had service history and was beautifully groomed and presented with 100K on the clock.

I would be astonished to see one of those on a dealers lot under 20K.

I have also seen tidy 2004 MK5 Golf's with around 100K on the clock sell for 10-11K privately and you don't see prices anything like that on yards either.

helen_nz2, Dec 28, 5:06am
The car model I had in mind was Honda Accord Euro 2003/2004. Other than wanting automatic, they're all much of a muchness to me as far as what's under the hood. Don't really know too much about the specs. There's 7 listed on TM in Auckland at the approx price range I'm wanting, there are also more expensive models too

kazbanz, Dec 28, 6:51am
Helen--looking over the cars available it sounds like youve been asking the wrong dealers

helen_nz2, Dec 28, 7:06am
Funny, I went to several in New Lynn, they were all in the same very long street, they all tried to convince me to switch to Nissan, they had their yards stocked with nissan so obviously a popular choice in West Auckland. Maybe I should try a different part of Auckland

xs1100, Dec 28, 7:18am
try down otahuhu theres a couple of good dealers down there that sell a lot of nz new accords,try champion motors,orix,

xs1100, Dec 28, 7:20am
dont forget some of the benefits of buying through a dealer also,trade ins,warranties,guaranteed title,finance,

male_timaru, Dec 28, 8:34am
Very easy to spot them though eh - you simply look at the number of cars they have sold and the dates and the year and value - now not many people go through 1 car plus every month if the car is in good order do they lol!

horsepower7, Dec 28, 10:44am
at least when you buy a car off a yard, you have the right to make them fix it if it craps out. seling a car privatly you buy it as is where is basicly

male_timaru, Dec 28, 11:37am
not really - if it is not sold by auction then you are presented with the same situation as if you buy through a classified

The offer is made

the considerations are returned (ie your counter offer)

The acceptance is made and the deal is done - you are then governed by the laws of the land and sales of goods act and so forth

Make sure when buying a car privately that if you ask any questions regarding the vehicle and its upkeep history etc that it is taped or written down - this can later be used in a court of law - spoken word is also legal law and contract binding (proving it however is far more difficult)

There you are in a nutshell

horsepower7, Dec 28, 11:45am
depends on the situation i guess, i work at a car yard and we sometimes get customers coming back with something wrong, usually nothing bad but we usually get it fixed depending on what it is.

kazbanz, Dec 28, 8:29pm
Helen--Hmm-ok well that sorta explains things. In NL you have Mike Vincents -they ask franchise type money.Enterprise motor group -known for high prices. Discount city often have ok prices but if they don't have what you want will steer you towards their own stock and tend to say the car you want is more expensive to encourage you to buy their carsThen you havea couple of other yards who only have basicly on behalf stock from a big wholesale crowd
If engine size isn't important then I'd seriously concider looking at the 2.0l version and looking further afeild.Let your fingers do the walking -on TM or other caqr selling sites.
As someone else suggestedsouth auckland might be worth a visit orpossibly the central city.
I WOULD though strongly suggest a pre purchase inspection to be sure the car isn't going to cost heaps later down the track.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 29, 4:54am
To give an example. I bought a 2005 Audi A3 FSI Turbo (note the turbo bit) for someone the other day privately for 17K. It was in superb condition, had service history and was beautifully groomed and presented with 100K on the clock.

I would be astonished to see one of those on a dealers lot under 20K.

I have also seen tidy 2004 MK5 Golf's with around 100K on the clock sell for 10-11K privately and you don't see prices anything like that on yards either. While that is a bargain by private standards the same vehicle is going to be a bargain from a Dealer at 13k-14k and many will try for over 15K.

BTW, not rubbishing dealers or saying their margins are too high. Given their overheads and the risks they have to take (with regard to the CGA etc) I think their margins are often incredibly reasonable. Just saying there is no free lunch. They have families to feed and the money has to come from somewhere.

Its like buying something from a secondhand store vs trademe. You are generally going to pay more (sometimes a lot more) at a secondhand store.