Car door remote - dealers RIPOFF

lx4000, Aug 9, 3:56am
well! They quoted me 450 for a new remote for me car!
How do they get away with that! Man oh man, I walked out saying that was out right rip off! Thanks, steam vented!lol

gggrrrrr

crzyhrse, Aug 9, 4:01am
That's nice, dear.

fiatracer, Aug 9, 4:03am
so. now you have no remote.

redhot, Aug 9, 4:10am
mr Minit do them for about $100

fiatracer, Aug 9, 4:11am
how do you know.

fiatracer, Aug 9, 4:12am
I can do one for $5, but it will be fashioned from soap and have no actual immobilisation technology, prox sensors, or anything else.

redhot, Aug 9, 4:15am
have been down the same road, quoted $380, went and enquired with Mr Minit and quoted around $100

fiatracer, Aug 9, 4:20am
nice!would depend on car and technology though, right!

bigfatmat1, Aug 9, 4:29am
Try ebay or the dealextreme. Some cars the remote can be programmed without diagnostic equipment sometimes there is no other option but the dealer. If all else fails and you only need to lock unlock fit an aftermarket unit.
#4 would depend on car as above to price and whether mr minit can do it to what the cost is

lx4000, Aug 9, 4:51am
Thanks for that! I will give them a ring:)

lx4000, Aug 9, 4:52am
Darn! Me kids are now teenagers and will not do it! ggrrrrr Walks off wondering if bribery will work!hahahaha

zoltec45, Aug 9, 4:55am
if its a new car and the remote works in with the ignition be prepared to fork out $450

trader_84, Aug 9, 5:04am
Another reason not to own nothing made after around early 90's.

leighfrancesca, Aug 9, 5:34am
We were quoted similar for a new (used) vehicle that we had purchased and the dealer gave some pretty good advice I thought which was "it would be just as cheap to go and get an alarm installed on your vehicle and then you'll get a couple of remotes for a similar price".

nathanmac, Aug 9, 5:43am
Hey I'd be happy to sell the kids for a few hundy.They'd be happy to sit in the car while you run your errands.You may not be happy with the state of the car and ensuing flat battery however. and you definitely don't want to leave any lollies in there while they wait.The proportion of lollies to carnage and destruction is extraordinary!

kazbanz, Aug 9, 6:29am
1x4000 I'm sorry but unless I've missed something somewhere at no point have you said What make or model your car is.
NOONE making comment or suggestion above is making an educated comment without that information.
Heck if the car is a 1995 corolla then yep-I agree 100% with max
but if its a 2000 a160 merc then good luck with mr minute or (to my knowledge) overriding the factory kit with an aftermarket alarm

Also exactly what is wrong with the old remote!

lx4000, Aug 9, 6:53am
it locks the car, unlocks the car and opens the boot off the remote. I have no idea what the other button is for on it! sigh

oh. its a 1990's maxima nissan The pads under the the push pads are had it I think.

bigfatmat1, Aug 9, 6:58am
1990's that narrows it down to a few models. Supply more information and you could find a cheaper remote with instructions on how to program it.

kazbanz, Aug 9, 7:05am
Ix4000 well in that case You don't actually NEED the remote unless in fact it already is an alarm remote in which case on the back it will give a manufacturers name.If it isn't then I'd either buy an alarm -(The avs a4 is boot remote capable),Take bigfatmax's advice or just use the key

safteystv, Sep 25, 9:40pm
tell the insurance company you lost them . some cover keys because they cost so bl00dy much. or get an alarm installed and if your in or near wellington http://vehiclesecurity.co.nz/