Toyota Blade/Master good or bad?

skull, Sep 17, 8:31am
Opinions please chaps, considering moving the Swift Sport along and getting one of the above, unless they are deemed to be crap. Haven't driven one yet but have driven an RS 180 and thought it was great.

aj254, Sep 17, 9:02am
I think they're basically a corolla with a 3.5L/200+kw camry engine, so standard toyota reputation with some serious power. Never driven one though but I wouldn't mind!

skull, Sep 17, 9:26am
Yeah, Lexus motor I believe. Just want to know if they have any known issues.

stevo2, Sep 17, 9:27am
From what I have heard, they go real well in a straight line but the handling suffers because its a bit heavy in the front with its big 6.

oemaudio, Sep 17, 9:34am
I have had three of them, amazing cars. Personally think they handle superbly. Took one to Akaroa from Christchurch most fun I've had in ages.
In my opinion they are very good value taking into consideration the level of equipment and performance.
Engine used in Aurion, Vanguard, Estima, IS350 ( with mods) and a few other models.

asa50, Sep 17, 9:35am
x1
sounds like a japanese alfa 147gta
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=P9-oE4k4axs

chookin3, Sep 17, 9:39am
x1
Iv driven one and loved it.

chookin3, Sep 17, 9:40am
So much Iv said it twice

skull, Sep 17, 9:50am
Are all these happy comments about the 3.5 litre jobby or was some happiness also given by the 2.4 litre version!

oemaudio, Sep 17, 9:58am
Had plenty of the 2.4 as well, really good cars as well. Good spec even in the base model, drive nicely and good fuel usage. I think better value than Mazda 3 / Axela for the money

mantagsi, Sep 17, 10:05am
I love it, take two otherwise quiet / boring-ish cars, smash them together and come up with the blade master, which sounds like a damn neat car! good old toyota. In saying that I am glad I am part of the Smug Toyota Drivers Club, they can be neat cars!

phillip.weston, Sep 17, 11:22am
x1
nice on paper but in reality they are a nose heavy car with a soft chassis, they can't handle as well as others who have a long history of big transverse 6's in small hatches (ie the Golf VR6). Their center of gravity is high and traction is a real problem. I would give it a miss to be honest.

kazbanz, Sep 17, 4:22pm
Hey PW how many have you actually driven!
Ive driven three of the 2.4l in the last couple of months and I think its great to drive. Good fun at or a bit above the legal limit.
Dunno what its like at real speed but at that pace it was great

skull, Sep 17, 7:44pm
Got any on the lot kaz!

vtecintegra, Sep 17, 7:45pm
He was talking about the V6.

Anyway I'd rather look at one of the turbo alternatives, Golf GTI or Mazda 3 MPS

kazbanz, Sep 17, 8:48pm
Nope--but even if I did i can't tell you on here.

phillip.weston, Sep 17, 9:15pm
We're talking about the Blade Master with the V6 engine. The 2.4 does not have the same power as the 3.5. The chassis dynamics are basically the same between the two, and is better suited to the 2.4 engine. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad car to drive, but if I were to be spending $20k on a hot hatch with a big motor, I would be getting something with a decent history of doing it properly and not grandma's shopping basket with a aurion engine squeezed in with not much work done to the chassis to accommodate it.

kazbanz, Sep 17, 9:18pm
x1
Pw-throw away the suspenders suitable only for silky smooth jap highways and fit a decent set suitable for our goat tracks and you will not believe the difference

phillip.weston, Sep 17, 9:28pm
x1
I'm not the only one who found it to have not so flash handling characteristics. The suspension in the Blade is much firmer than the standard Corolla but the nose heavy weight distribution, taller center of gravity and a so-so chassis just don't make it an enjoyable car to drive at spirited speeds through twisty corners.

http://oversteer.co.nz/cars/toyota-blade-master/ http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/toyota/auris/first-drives/toyota-blade-master-g

As I said, it's a nice enough car and no doubt being a Toyota it will be reliable and have a good re-sale value. Just if I were spending that money, I would rather do it 'right' and get the Golf R32, rather than settle for second best in my eyes.

phillip.weston, Sep 17, 9:30pm
also I don't know about you, but I would find it terribly hard to try justify to your peers you just spent $20k+ on a 5+ year old Corolla that looks like. well. a 5+ year old Corolla wearing what looks to be Elton John's outfit. I just couldn't.

skull, Sep 18, 1:25am
x2
My peers are in the rest home and no longer driving, I'm married to grandma and Elton & I share a wardrobe so sounds like it will be right up my alley. I'm not overly into spirited cornering, I gave that up around the time I started wearing Tena pants and delivering Meals on Wheels. Having trouble getting my walking frame into the Swift so the extra room at the back should suit.

kazbanz, Sep 18, 1:28am
skull --on that basis why pay all that extra moolah for the big engine. Why not just grab a normal alex or runx

skull, Sep 18, 1:57am
A lot of the above is just me poking fun at myself. I guess I'd like onejust because I can if I want to, I like lots of easy grunt and I don't pound around the corners on a ragged edge any longer. The boot in the Swift won't hold our weekly supermarket order plus my business sometimes requires me to deliver boxed items none of which fit in the Swift boot. We had the Swift optioned in leather and plonking cartons all over it is not how I like to treat it. Comfort, grunt and a bit of carry space in a smallish reliable non Euro package.

vtecintegra, Sep 18, 2:14am
May as well keep saving for a newer Golf R, the R32 is decidedly second best next to them