Subaru 4wd 3litre hanger/carrier driveshaft bearin

ryanm2, Sep 15, 10:47pm
On take off (not noticeable on slow take off) there is a bump from the central rear of the car. Done a bit of research on the web and it sounds like its the carrier bearing. Are these an overly expensive fix! some of the prices mentioned vary a lot, and im guessing there are plenty of second hand parts in this country as Subaru's are everywhere. Its a 2000 Lancaster VDC 3 litre auto. Cheers.

a.woodrow, Sep 15, 10:48pm
Maybe you should check and see if it's that first! could be diff or something else

ryanm2, Sep 15, 10:51pm
taken it for a drive to get asecond opinion this arvo from a mechanic, but Im 99% sure this is what it is. I just want to know what it might end up costing if it is the carrier bearing.

lookoutas, Sep 17, 5:29am
If it is the hanger - get a complete second-hand driveshaft, from gearbox to diff.
Take about 1/2 hour to fit. Best done over a pit or on a hoist.

noswalg, Sep 17, 6:08am
I thought i had the same problem with mine but was more of a shudder on a quick takeoff also made a bit of a clicking noise when driving, turns out it was the front universal joint that was a bit dodgy so last week replaced both universals, parts were about $350 and $85 labour and problem solved.

hrt, Sep 17, 7:13am
You've had it to a mechanic who has seen it and driven it, and you're asking what the problem could be on an internet forum! What did the mehcanic say!

quater, Sep 17, 7:18am
lol you make it sound like mechanics are all ways right.

therafter1, Sep 17, 7:23am
Lol . I think he misread the post any way, I think the first word is supposed to be "taking'.

ryanm2, Sep 17, 7:38am
heading to the mechanics tomorrow arvo - fingers crossed its something simple.

hrt, Sep 17, 7:48am
I'm not saying they're always right by any means, but the difference between diagnosing over the internet to the general public and diagnosing by a mechanic who has the car in front of them is completely different.

Likewise with the OP researching on the internet to diagnose the fault. A carrier bearing is as likely as a diff mount to fail. Without seeing the car then its just guesses.