Brake pads

Page 2 / 2
dent, Sep 15, 5:11am
I went to the same school as you therafter1. Always bleed any brake system after replacing pads. Always push fluid out through the bleeder and put a clamp on the brake hose. Also I try and avoid pumping the brake pedal to bleed brakes. I either gravity bleed brakes or vacuum bleed brakes. Less likely of problems.

the-lada-dude, Sep 15, 5:32am
well i'd never ever put a clamp on a brake hose for fear of damaging the internal reinforcing fibres. that's a most unsavoury practice as far as i'm concerned

unbeatabull, Sep 15, 5:34am
I've seen far more people incorrectly bleed brakes by using the gravity/vacuum/pressure bleeding tools rather then pumping the pedal. Whether that is because they weren't using the tool correctly or what I'm not sure.

dent, Sep 15, 5:35am
A plastic brake hose clamp is not guna cut or damage the brake hose.its stretching of the brake hoses and age thats going to cauze damage to the hose.

dent, Sep 15, 5:36am
It works well as long as you know what your doing and 95 percent of the time the gravity bleed works fine. If not then the vac system dose the rest.

ceebee2, Sep 15, 9:33pm
So you were more than happy to leave the old fluid in when renewing pads that may have been in the vehicle for years! That is not good trade practise.

a.woodrow, Sep 15, 9:43pm
Think about it. Customer rings up asking for a quote, you quote $150 cos you flush the brake fluid. customer rings joe's garage, he quotes them $110 cos he's just gonna slap a cheap set of pads in. Wheres the customer going to go! Best trade practise is sadly often dictated by what the customer wants to spend. If every customer would pay, then the brake fluidwould always be flushed. try convincing customers that brake fluid needs replaced every couple years because its hydroscopic, a lot of customers just don't care.

unbeatabull, Sep 15, 10:52pm
We do get that a lot. A lot of customers complain that it is supposed to be done every 2 years "Oh my brakes work fine, it doesn't need doing"